Motherboard Mini-ITX Board for VR with no additional usb controllers?

gepic

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 28, 2017
Looking to buy a Mini-ITX mobo that will work for me in an S4 Mini without adding a new USB controller, which won’t fit. Has anyone had any luck with the ASRock B350 Fatal1ty or the Gigabyte B350 Gaming? Thanks!

gepic

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 28, 2017
For the oculus, you have to have two, separate usb hardware controllers to run 3 sensors in tandem due to their bandwidth requirements. On top of that, some hardware controllers aren’t compatible.

For instance, my old ATX mobo had only on controller which supported the oculus sensors... the front usb controller was not compatible.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
For the oculus, you have to have two, separate usb hardware controllers to run 3 sensors in tandem due to their bandwidth requirements. On top of that, some hardware controllers aren’t compatible.

For instance, my old ATX mobo had only on controller which supported the oculus sensors... the front usb controller was not compatible.

I was confused, too, by your post originally. And it's hard to say. I would scope out an ITX motherboard that checks the rest of your boxes and then ask the manufacturer directly.

Most of us will have to speculate, I would ~guess~ that usb ports connected to your onboard headers would be controlled by their own 'hardware device' separate from the ones on the back I/O. Do you need USB 3.0 ports, or could you mix and match between 3.0 and 2.0? Because lots of boards have some of one and a few of the other, and my assumption would be that 3.0 and 2.0 ports had different controllers.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

gepic

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 28, 2017
Generally two sensors go on usb 3.0 and one goes on 2.0, be the controllers have to be compatible. Thanks for the help guys, I’ll have to contact the manufacturers!

If anyone ever sees this thread and has done a build with an itx board that supports 3 sensors out of the box let me know!