Enclosure MIA - cases between 11 and 15L (something like a B4)

hrh_ginsterbusch

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
You know what I'd love to see? A B4-SFX. DIN B4 is 353 x 250 mm. Now add 14 or maybe even 14.5 cm, have a nice 12L case ( 35.3 * 25 * 14 =~ 12.36 L, and with 14.5 =~ 12.8 L).

And to make it nice and versatile, do an inset backpanel, ie. that allows switching between "traditional" / non-riser and sandwich layout.
With its height, one could do several layouts, eg. a classic air-cooled, a sandwich-style liquid cooled, and a non-classic liquid cooled, ie. side mounted radiator, but inverted layout (ie. GPU on top, no riser, radiator to the side).

Where does this (idea) come from?

For one, the experiments with inverted riser layout in the A4-H2O - and even pondering if I should try to go with a classic inverted layout, ie. MB on the side, GPU on top, riserless, and either air-cooled or my 280 AIO special.

And next, when looking for different cases, I realized there is an abundance of "below 12ish L" cases as well as "above 14.5ishL" ones. But next to nothing in-between. Sliger S610, S570 and NCase M1, if you can source them used somewhere, for riser-less layouts. Jonsbo V11 and maybe Steck V2.0 or Geeek A60 .. Also thinking about availability - Sliger might be easier to source in the US, while in Europe its next to impossible.

Everything else is either "fancy cube" and rather impractical (eg. SG 16) or console-style, which might not work with certain configurations. And well, if focus is on portability, its getting annoying quickly, too. Eg. I own a very large 16ish inch laptop bag that would allow for something like the P-ATX, but its getting troublesome as soon as it exceeds a certain width.

I know Dan hinted ideas about a B4, but his supposedly would be another "below 11ish L" concept.

Up to 13L still feels (and actually measures) nice to put into eg. a camera backpack.

Just my random thoughts - and grief :)
cu, w0lf.