Memory module and slot went to heaven

7empest

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 18, 2020
I got my Dan 4.1 a few days ago, and one day later a memory module and its slot failed. Here's what happened:

I was running 3d mark or smth and the system rebooted and it didn't want to boot into windows. Turned it off and back on, the memory led went on on the mainboard . The RAM closest to the CPU was super hot, the other one was ok. There was a burning smell as well. No OC, memory and CPU running at stock speed.
I took the build apart ant came to the conclusion that both the RAM and its slot on the mainboard had failed. The other RAM and slot is fine.
Since I don't believe in coincidences, my concern is maybe my system is prone to RAM overheat. My temps are normal, the CPU stays in the high 70's under load. I tried running memtest and the remaining RAM module heats up, but I can touch it for a few seconds or so.
How can I verify if there is a problem with the RAM temps, since there is no sensor? Any thoughts on the incident or build?

Thanks!

My system has mostly 2 months old components:

Case: Dan A4 v4.1 Black
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600)
Motherboard: Asus Rog STRIX B550i
RAM: Corsair Vengence 2x16 GB 3200 Mhz@3200 Mhz
Drives: Front SSD+ bottom HDD on the drive case
PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum
Cooling: Blackridge with stock fan (intake)
Addition Cooling: none
Graphics Card: 2080 Inno 3d dual fan

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
My wild-guess:- the Blackridge cooler is installed with its fins orientation running perpendicular to the dimm slots. As a result, roughly half of the hot air passed through the cooler will run towards the memory modules. The RAM closest to the CPU will be heated up more than the other RAM module.
Usually, if there is no heavy OC with overvolt, just a little fresh air ventilating across the RAM is all it needs. Dan A4 does not provide such ventilation. And, if the Blackridge does exhaust half of the air towards the RAM, this is certainly not ideal. But, I suspect this fact alone might not be enough to fry the RAM.

I would check:-
a. no dirt inside the dimm slots, potentially causing a short
b. RAM's gold fingers are clean and free of dirt
c. even though no OC, check the voltage to the RAM (in BIOS and with other softwares, making sure there is no bug causing unintended over-voltage)

Some memory modules do have temp sensor. Maybe you can ask Corsair (in their tech forum or via email) about your specific module if it has temp sensor or not.

If you can touch the RAM for a few seconds, this may indicate the temp is below 50-60C and this looks OK. IIRC, RAM can take up to 80C. At about 50-60C, errors and instability comes. RAM works best under 40C-ish.
Other than this, I suppose you can install temp sensor onto the RAM (preferably carefully inserting into between the heatsink and the module, rather than just putting on the outside surface of the heatsink).

PS
BTW, if it is fried, then I suppose it went to hell instead of heaven as hell's lake of fire fits the over-temperature issue much better...lol

Last edited:

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
agree with @tinyitx. I have had both the Blackridge cooler as well as IS-47K installed in the Dan A4. The difference to your build is that I installed the fan under the motherboard and have it exhaust out the bottom. Did not measure RAM temps but my M.2 temps were really great thanks to the airflow that that fan created. So even if the CPU cooler exhausts half the hot air to the RAM, they would not linger at all but drawn out of the case as fast as possible.

7empest

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 18, 2020
@tinyitx
@thelaughingman

Thank you for your replies.
At the moment of the incident I had been running a fan under the mainboard, but turned it off afterwards, to noisy (Cryorig QT90).
I don't expect to have any debris inside the slot, but will check it. I will try to borrow a IR thermometer to check on the RAM temps.

I am thinking that the CPU and under mainboard fans set both to exhaust are producing a void in that area that could affect the RAM temp.

Does 25mm fan under the PSU make a difference? I have a HDD there unfortunately.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
@tinyitx
@thelaughingman

At the moment of the incident I had been running a fan under the mainboard, but turned it off afterwards, to noisy (Cryorig QT90).
I don't expect to have any debris inside the slot, but will check it. I will try to borrow a IR thermometer to check on the RAM temps.

I am thinking that the CPU and under mainboard fans set both to exhaust are producing a void in that area that could affect the RAM temp.

Does 25mm fan under the PSU make a difference? I have a HDD there unfortunately.
yeah Cryorig fans are known to be noisy, that's why you see many in this forum embrace the Noctua's life. the fan under the PSU helps with GPU intake/exhaust if you're using a GPU with an axial cooler. it would have no effect on blower-style GPUs

JohnTinkerer

Trash Compacter
Nov 14, 2020
@tinyitx
@thelaughingman

Do you think you could post some photos of your build? I'm about to build a new rig and I would like to avoid some of the mistakes the more experienced fellow members discover here...

Shaytanya

Trash Compacter
May 5, 2020
For what it is worth, I have just finished a new high end build in the Dan A4.1. I will be posting a full post shortly (next few days), but long story short, I have had a number of temperature related issues. I'm using an asus Z490 with two M.2 SSDs, i5-10600k with AIO cooler (so no airflow) with a 3080 FE (so even more heat). I had the noctua 92mm under the MOBO, but this was not really helpful. For me it was the M.2 drives that were overheating, but I imagine the RAM's were not too happy either - it was a lack of direct airflow over the MOBO - I have now installed the 40mm 5000RPM Noctua fan (which messes up the look) over the M.2 area, but lowered temps by approx 30 degrees (celcius). I note that it is not "cool" but the temperatures are all within their operating ranges but I have had to set up a fan curve to keep the 40mm fans running at approx 3800RPM (and then to 5000RPM under load), so it is not silent.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
For what it is worth, I have just finished a new high end build in the Dan A4.1. I will be posting a full post shortly (next few days), but long story short, I have had a number of temperature related issues. I'm using an asus Z490 with two M.2 SSDs, i5-10600k with AIO cooler (so no airflow) with a 3080 FE (so even more heat). I had the noctua 92mm under the MOBO, but this was not really helpful. For me it was the M.2 drives that were overheating, but I imagine the RAM's were not too happy either - it was a lack of direct airflow over the MOBO - I have now installed the 40mm 5000RPM Noctua fan (which messes up the look) over the M.2 area, but lowered temps by approx 30 degrees (celcius). I note that it is not "cool" but the temperatures are all within their operating ranges but I have had to set up a fan curve to keep the 40mm fans running at approx 3800RPM (and then to 5000RPM under load), so it is not silent.
with the AIO you can fit an A9x14 or even A12x15 in front of the motherboard, that would solve most of your airflow issue whilst also being much quieter Dan A4-SFX 3900X Workstation : sffpc (reddit.com)

7empest

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 18, 2020
Update regarding my problem : it turned out that the mainboard was ok, the CPU integrated memory controller failed when the RAM module fried.
Nice that my CPU was under warranty.
I've talked to someone who sold lots on Ryzens, they fail more often than Intels.

Reactions: thelaughingman