Megabat build log

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
I will post more details soon, but this will be a slow-ish build, over the course of 2-3 months, featuring a one-off custom case purpose-built with max airflow - while still being quiet and aesthetically pleasing - within 20L (probably a hair under). On the larger side of SFF, but still intended to be portable. Will post planned specs and initial design soon. ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kooki

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
Some updates to keep myself on track, and for future reference (my memory sucks, so a log is a good idea for me):

- Ordered first part for the build, the new Chromax (all-black) NH-U12S. I was planning on using the Thermalright Silver Arrow 130, but this will fit as well, and I don't have to paint/anodize the heatsink now.

- Almost done with initial sketchup of case design, just have to finish cutouts and ventilation. Converting design to CAD after that. Will post pics here by this weekend.

- Came up with alternative option to unibody (which may be too pricey) where the bottom is CNCed, but the structure/frame uses makerbeams or custom-cut aluminum beams and a 3D printed top. Then the side panels can be laser or CNC cut and attached to the frame. Still won't be cheap, but easier and less expensive than unibody for that size.

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
Got the cooler. Hopefully Linus himself didn't fondle it, or I may have to RMA it. :D

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
Very nice!

Any screenshots of the case design?

Design is deliberately overkill with the cooling - it's really meant to showcase fans and look cool (to me, don't care if anyone else thinks it's ugly :p), so I know I could save a lot of room if I wanted to. Fans will be kept at low RPM (400-700 RPM, possibly up to 1,100 RPM on the ones that can remain inaudible at that speed).

Also, keep in mind the design is still rough: the "ears" need power and reset buttons (designing those for 3D printing later); I may move the GPU back (way it's designed now is to allow for a fan, basically creating a tunnel of air from front to back to cool the GPU, but it does require extension for GPU I/O); haven't adjusted the dimensions to allow for slightly taller HSF; have to add vent, mobo I/O shield, and power cable cutouts; fans aren't in the right place because I've been shifting them around, etc etc.

Most of the parts are also just placeholders, including the Radeon VII, which will either be modified with custom shroud (have a rough plan for that too) or swapped out for a Nano/ITX Navi card if such thing exists in the next month and if MacOS adds support for Navi. Vent pattern on back needs to be extended down to same length as HSF, all vents need to be evened out/adjusted.

There's a bracket/cage to hold the PSU that I designed, but not shown in pics below. The PSU being there is one compromise in airflow design (more than compensated for), but it allows for very short custom cables since the mobo and PSU are right there.

Design doesn't show the lip/retention system for custom-cut, tinted polycarbonate panel, or the potential screwless slide-in fan trays (possibly magnetic tape, if they can be strong without interfering with fan bearings, otherwise fallback is conventional rail system, or whatever it's called... don't know the jargon). May be adding in a matte textured handle to the top, as well. Toying with idea of DIY snowblind on the window, but that's something I'll only consider when almost everything else is done.

Case will be painted with Black 2.0/Black 3.0 - if it holds up okay to light touches in testing, if not I have someone who will cerakote it - and all non-black items will be blacked out.

And yes, the case is probably too difficult/expensive to unibody CNC/mill from aluminum, hence fallback option I mentioned earlier, which is doable (just got CNC router, getting more tools, and have a 3D printer already). Definitely keeping the general design, though, because I'm very happy with the look of it.

Last edited:

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017

Design is deliberately overkill with the cooling - it's really meant to showcase fans and look cool (to me, don't care if anyone else thinks it's ugly :p), so I know I could save a lot of room if I wanted to.

Also, keep in mind the design is still rough: the "ears" need power and reset buttons (designing those for 3D printing later); I may move the GPU back (way it's designed now is to allow for a fan, basically creating a tunnel of air from front to back to cool the GPU, but it does require extension for GPU I/O); haven't adjusted the dimensions to allow for slightly taller HSF; have to add vent, mobo I/O shield, and power cable cutouts; fans aren't in the right place because I've been shifting them around, etc etc.

Most of the parts are also just placeholders, including the Radeon VII, which will either be modified with custom shroud (have a rough plan for that too) or swapped out for a Nano/ITX Navi card if such thing exists in the next month and if MacOS adds support for Navi. Vent pattern on back needs to be extended down to same length as HSF, all vents need to be evened out/adjusted.

There's a bracket/cage to hold the PSU that I designed, but not shown in pics below. The PSU being there is one compromise in airflow design (more than compensated for), but it allows for very short custom cables since the mobo and PSU are right there.

Design doesn't show the lip/retention system for custom-cut, tinted polycarbonate panel, or the potential screwless slide-in fan trays (possibly magnetic tape, if they can be strong without interfering with fan bearings, otherwise fallback is conventional rail system, or whatever it's called... don't know the jargon). May be adding in a matte textured handle to the top, as well. Toying with idea of DIY snowblind on the window, but that's something I'll only consider when almost everything else is done.

Case will be painted with Black 2.0/Black 3.0 - if it holds up okay to light touches in testing, if not I have someone who will cerakote it - and all non-black items will be blacked out.

And yes, the case is probably too difficult/expensive to unibody CNC/mill from aluminum, hence fallback option I mentioned earlier, which is doable (just got CNC router, getting more tools, and have a 3D printer already). Definitely keeping the general design, though, because I'm very happy with the look of it.

With that many fans, I hope it doesn't hit a harmonic frequency through vibration that shatters the earth's crust! :p
In all seriousness, it looks sweet!

Reactions: CountNoctua