Log mATX SFF, research / prep work + intermediate build (Mesh-mATX)

npe

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 24, 2024
Just for curiosity, my meshroom s with AIO240 from EK, 7900xtx and 128Gb DDR4 on an ATX motherboard is weight 8,8kg. It's more than i expect but the temperature of cpu and gpu are better. Have a good build !

Reactions: hrh_ginsterbusch

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Just for curiosity, my meshroom s with AIO240 from EK, 7900xtx and 128Gb DDR4 on an ATX motherboard is weight 8,8kg. It's more than i expect but the temperature of cpu and gpu are better. Have a good build !
After having seen the "Hell in a Dell" sleeper PC, I'm kinda back to the Meshroom S. Will be going with the Silent Loop 2 280, which I already used within the Meshlicious build, and probably get a front panel extension to either aquire more space for the GPU, or just the opposite direction, ie. mounting the radiator + fans on the outside of the panel. The front panel extension would then have to be as long as the combination of radiator + fans, so roughly 52 - 55 mm.

Initially I am going to use the RX 6800 as originally planned, but will be selling it to replace it with a 4070 (not a super though).

Effectively I gonna try and see if I can turn the Meshroom S into something like a Sleeper PC.

I've looked at other case and pre-existing solutions, ie. actual ThinkCentre models, but it feels a bit too wasteful and nasty, buying a perfectly working, albeit refurbished, system, to just use its outer shell. And the other potential cases are rare and require much more research and compromises, compared to using a case I already own and have build with (generally speaking).

Why ThinkCentre? Because I am a ThinkPad fan, Dell already has a lot of Sleeper builds, and the other aesthetics dont really "hit home" with me :)

Planned components are:

- original setup, ie. MSI Z690 board, 13700k, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB Firecuda 530, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6800 OC
- additionally adding SK Hynix P41 2 TB, and maybe an extension card using an additonal riser cable to add 2 more NVMe options (there is a PCIe 3.0 x16 available)
- LGA 1700 contact frame, probably the original by Thermal Grizzly
- PSU: Corsair SF 750
- replacing the front panel with either a custom one that features the upper part of a partially functional ThinkCentre front panel (eg. on/off switch, USB ports, maybe even audio ports), or reusing the original panel and using a 3d printed ThinkCentre front attachment, which gets mounted using neodym magnets
- AIO: be quiet Silent Loop 2 280 with the original fans
- custom side-panel attachments, to eg. hide the left panel, but keeping the right one as open as possible, etc. Looking into eg. black / dark grey metallic cardboard thats being cut to size

If the AIO fans dont meet my expections, I might replace them either with the Silent Wings 4 120 HS (I got three of those, one is already attached to the radiator, still from the Meshlicious setup), or if I stay with 140 mm, then maybe test out the Iceberg Thermal IceGALE Xtra, before moving over to the SW 4 Pro 140s.

If I go for the outbound radiator option, I might replicate and improve on my Meshlicious setup, ie. PSU located on the GPU side - IF the GPU length is LOWER than 240 mm. My original option using a 90° metal bracket to fix the PSU to the bottom of the case, below the GPU, was ... okayish. But I'd love to properly attach the PSU to the case, so probably gonna use several 90° brackets plus the SAMA01 / NR200P SFX bracket.

Although, in theory, it might even be possible to mount the PSU at the GPU side bracket, if the GPU is not too wide. So, in the case of a long (eg. 300 mm) but medium-wide (at max, 140 mm) GPU, one could go for this option instead. This requires using the mentioned PSU bracket or something similar (eg. 3d printed custom SFX bracket) to properly mount it in position.

cu, w0lf.

Last edited:

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
This feels kinda unfunny: Was fooling around with the Tacens OrumX, which I ordered a few months ago. Just dropped the be quiet SL 2 280 inside. Yes, fits, although you need to wiggle a bit.

Then I thought: Wouldnt it be funny if the GPU would fit side-by-side, too? Just like as planned for the Meshi?

.. turns out: Not only does it fit, you could even get a regular sized (= regular width / height) GPU inside. 😱 😍

Max height approx 310ish mm or so. And if you wanted to keep using the PSU location on top, you'd be limited to about 240 mm length. So most RTX 4070 and also several 4070 Super models would fit.

Now get the Meshlicious / Meshroom S middle frame, cut it down at the bottom by approx 4 cm, add 90° angled brackets to it, and tap the case bottom. Et voila: Mounting option for the GPU achieved.
Add one of the mounting brackets for the Meshi or the Meshroom S, cut this one also a bit shorter, just so it fits snuggly within the case top and bottom, and then mount the radiator to it.

Additional tasks: proper ventilation - eg. cut the existing side panel and add some mesh, preferably of the same color as the rest of the case (I got the white version; so for this course, the black / dark grey version would've been better).

Et voila, 14L mATX (!) SFF PC, liquid cooled, with ~2kg weight of the case itself achieved. 🥳😎

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Update: So after the playful journey with the Tacens OrumX, I decided to stuff all of it into the Meshroom S.

*drumroll* *badumms* it fits! Its a VERY tight fit, but the "front" panel closes. Probably would be better to get an extender though. But even a 1 cm extender would be enough, so maybe I just gonna use standoffs (tap the panel) and add some mesh or light wood in-between.

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
TL;DR: My original calculations with a 100 mm wide GPU + a 140 mm wide radiator .. worked out. Probably wouldnt have in the original Meshlicious, but with the 4 - 5 mm extended panels of the Meshroom S - it just works.

Oh, also, this log has been going on since March 2022, at a time where I was still making my way out of darkest depression.
And hey, hyperfixation on SFF PCs helped a lot to achieve that :)

cu, w0lf.

• Love
Reactions: morj

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
When to build? Well .. I guess in the next few weeks. End of April or so? I plan to do a test / semi-mockup build over the next weekend, using the leftover AM4 mainboard I got still sitting around from my last system; ie the one that existed before building with the 13700k inside the interim case, ie. Asus AP201 (the current "MFF PC Goat").

Sooooo .. properly prepare the case, including removal of hindering parts that may at worst scratch the radiator if left in place - or at best, just waste valuable space; also, adding the brackets for mounting the GPU, etc.

Maybe I even fully set up the mainboard, but obviously wont install the AIO, but instead, go with the NH-L12S and open frame.

Basically all components listed in the starter post, but using the AM4 board as placeholder / for testing purposes.
My main concerns are: Position of the GPU, testing the riser cable (if it works as its supposed to), etc.

One of the reasons I wont do it all in one go, even if everything works as expected: I want to add the second 2 TB SSD, and at the same time, do a different overall storage setup. And of corpse, install a selection of current linux distros, probably Endeavour OS (for testing), current MX Linux (KDE AHS release) and maybe KDE Neon. Thats lots of work involved, esp. when its your main system / workstation, ie. I NEEEED the system to work as much out-of-the-box as possible. Any bigger break thanks to issues with the new setup, is time AND money lost. Thats esp. true when one is working as a freelancer. So no experiments, just prep work for the "real deal" :)

cu, w0lf.

Last edited:
Reactions: morj

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
I did a test / mockup build with the Meshroom S today. Turns out, the GPU might only fit properly if I a) use a 180° power extension cord adapter and b) deshroud it.

Thus, I've ordered a bunch of 180° GPU power extension adapters.

Potential workarounds: Mount the AIO in front of the case, sell the GPU and get an RTX 4070.
The last two steps are actually the main plan, the first one is not. But if using the 180° adapter and deshrouding (with a quick test fit) doesnt work ..

.. well, the other option is either building with the LF II 240 + P12 Max, or getting another 240 mm AIO (might try the Thermalright Frozen Edge + P12 Max, just for the most quick shipping option).

As the current system is starting to show signs of issues (in need of cleaning, and the CPU temps have been kinda wonky lately), the sooner I rebuild, the better 😭 😎

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Just as a reminder: The Tacens Orumx weights only 2.2 kg, while each side panel weights a hefty 550g. BUT: The All-Hit combo (280 rad + AMD GPU BRICK) fits perfectly inside.

If I'm too miffed off by the alternative of either deshroud + air ducting or putting the AIO on the front = outside, I may just go down THAT road = stuff everything into the Orumx, and then fabricate a proper side panel (like: cut up the existing one, add mesh, be happy).
I'm kinda turned off by its color (not-yet-creamy white), but that might be just the return of the Screaming Neon Magenta x Sunny Orange (either vinyl-wrapping or straight out splashing paint on).

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Ok, happy deshroud time. A less chunky GPU is the eventual solution (ie. at max, 45 mm height), but for now, deshrouding the up to 60 mm height behemoth the Gigabyte RX 6800 OC .. it is.

Gonna post pics of the process on insta later on (and drop it in here, obv.).

Edit: Nope. Deshrouding this behemoth is a huge PITA. I've done a few in the last few years, but this thing is a piece of solid craftmanship. So I gonna down the easy route and just go for the outbound radiator in front - FOR NOW.

Next chapter: Nvidia RTX 4070, and returning to the original side-by-side layout as planned.

cu, w0lf.

Last edited: