MASSTA's 1st SSF Build: NCASE M1

johannbl

Chassis Packer
Jan 15, 2016
Hi,

I'm posting in this thread because my situation is extremely similar. I would like to build a similar machine in a Silverstone SG13B case. I would like your opinion on the case, I'm concerned about the cooling and the choice of a couple parts.

6700k, gtx980ti, the motherboard would be an asus Z170i Pro Gaming. I have a M.2 ssd and I would be adding 2 more 2.5" ssds.

I intend to get a 980ti with the exhaust on the back. This design seems to be the best for the case as it has it's own intake right on the left side of the case. I realize the airflow in this case is going to be bad so even though I want to travel with this machine, I think water cooling is the way to go as the radiator and its fans would be right at the front available to intake fresh air. Finally I think setting the PSU (not a final choice, is 500w enough for 6700k and 980ti?) as an exhaust for the motherboard/ram right below it would be a good idea. The other option would be to have the PSU upside down, its fan intaking fresh air from the top. I want to test both. I assume the former to be cooler and the later to be quieter.

I'm looking for opinions from more experienced builders. Is it really a big risk to go with water cooling if I plan to carry this thing in a pelican case? I assume the build will be pretty tight in such a small case. Is there a brand of water coolers that has a tougher build for something like this? I saw many similar builds using a corsair H80i.

Thanks.

Shawn Faherty

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 19, 2015
Hi johannbl,

The case looks great and not a bad price. I chose the rear-exhaust to keep from circulating hot air in the case. I have not taken temps but after reading lots of case builds, I thought this made the most sense.

CPU air is pulled in from the rear, GPU pulls from the bottom of case, a side fan pulls air in, and the PSU pulls air in. The PSU and GPU have their own exhaust ports. The CPU and side fans pressurize the case with air exhausting out everywhere else (one side, half of one side, the top, and parts of the front of case.

I almost chose a water cooled GPU but because I sometimes travel with this build, I opted to sleep better knowing there are no liquids involved. I ended up with more room in my case because of it. SSD's do not take up a lot of space so sounds like you'll be fine adding them, but don't take my word for it. Make sure you have lots of time to get this build done right. I ended up buying shorter and more flexible wires, kept all the receipts in case I needed to return something. Good luck. I hope to see your build here on SSF Forum.

~Shawn

johannbl

Chassis Packer
Jan 15, 2016
Thanks for your feedback on the build. However, considering how weak the CDN dollar is, I don't think I fit the N Case in my budget. This is why I'm thinking of going with the Silverstone SG13. I guess I should have started my own thread (and I will) instead of replying here because the case will affect the build a lot but since my needs are essentially the same as yours I figured I could start from there.

Also, how do you like that intel ssd? What's your heaviest use of it so far in TD? (In terms of playing many hap files at once)

Last edited: