massacring a noctua fan to test an RTX A2000 fan shroud

Alpha_Salsa

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 27, 2023
My A2000 is loud as hell and the existing solutions are expensive or dont fit my formfactor. I had the idea in my head to use a 60mm fan and cut the frame in half and turn it into a blower, so that it round about stay in the existing dimensions of the card (I know there are definitely existing blower fans which would do the job better, but hey, science!). I have no true benchmarking experience, I just ran the superposition benchmark twice on 1080p extreme in an open bench test for this.

Stock shroud attained 73°C.

Fan put on top of the finstack got to 61°.

Then I cut the frame in half.

To make the air go sideways I covered the bottom with cardboard which introduced noticeable noise, but not a factor for now.

What the easiest way to make a wonky air duct? More cardboard!

This one got to 71C running at the full 3000 rpm. It is loud, but better than stock.

My next steps would be regulating the fan speed trough the motherboard with fan controll and create and 3d print a custom shroud.

Alpha_Salsa

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 27, 2023
PLA test print; holes all line up, great. IO shield can still be attached.

Redesign for a 50x15mm fan to fit in the original dimensions. Same high, + ~1mm length and width and better supports.

Plus an extra air duct so all the air goes torwards the fins.

Next I'm waiting for the 50mm fan to arrive and the prints to finish.

Last edited:

Alpha_Salsa

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 27, 2023
So here are the components. The printed pieces, a cut down fan (Gelid Silent 5), 4 fan screws and the original shroud screws.

And here the completed shroud.

stock shroud || custom shroud

It doesn't perform great, but that's alright, in idle it doesn't sound like a jet engine at least. with Fan Control it idles around 35-40C without being loud.
Anyway, I wouldn't recommend printing this, I just bought a replacement fan from Aliexpress for 23 Euros, I hope that will deal with the problem for good. I just wanted to test a normal fan as a blower style for the fun of it.

Here's the file for anyone who wants: https://www.printables.com/de/model/749577-rtx-a2000-fan-shroud
Beware! I said that the screw placement is good, but it's actually like +- 1/2mm right. The screw might go in at an angle, but while screwing in adjust itself to line up with the hole. The IO shield screws are good though.

Last edited:

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
My A2000 was very loud as well, I bought a replacement fan from AliExpress and it was tolerable after that. :)
This is definitely a more fun solution though

::EDIT:: Consider re-pasting the GPU and swapping the thermal pads for something better too, the original paste/pads are trash

Reactions: Alpha_Salsa

steelfractal

when in doubt slap a delta on it
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Aug 15, 2019
My A2000 was very loud as well, I bought a replacement fan from AliExpress and it was tolerable after that. :)

::EDIT:: Consider re-pasting the GPU and swapping the thermal pads for something better too, the original paste/pads are trash
Yeah Revo and robbee got competition now 😄

Reactions: SFFMunkee

Alpha_Salsa

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 27, 2023

Actually good to know that replacing the fan could also do the trick, didn't know if it was a case by case thing or that the fan was just trash.

Repasting is a good idea, I'm also aiming to replace the thermal pads with the copper bracket.

Reactions: SFFMunkee

Tressy

What's an ITX?
New User
Jan 11, 2023
PLA test print; holes all line up, great. IO shield can still be attached.

Redesign for a 50x15mm fan to fit in the original dimensions. Same high, + ~1mm length and width and better supports.

Plus an extra air duct so all the air goes torwards the fins.

Next I'm waiting for the 50mm fan to arrive and the prints to finish.
Could you provide stl?