SFF.Network Many 200-Series Motherboards Leaked ahead of CES

With Intel's Kaby Lake soon to be released, many motherboard manufacturers are gearing up for their Intel chipset 200-series lineup. Although new features over the 100-series are limited, this did not keep board manufacturers from innovating and trying to bring something unique to the table.

Read more here.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Glad to see Motherboard makers getting away from Red + Black or bust for motherboard designs (except for retard MSI). Strix looks pretty cool and I'm thinking the silver/black AsRock would look amazing in one of the new S4 Minis with an Engine 27. Was thinking I'd skip Kaby lake and Z270, but I might buy one of these boards for my 6700T (Z270 has full Skylake support, right?).

Also <3 the 3.1 header on the Strix.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Also <3 the 3.1 header on the Strix.
Indeed, on the top-left it's hidden quite well. I'm loving the layout of the Asus STRIX Z270i, optimal placement for many of the thicker cables.
The M.2 heatsink that's also a chipset heatsink is very interesting as a concept.

Some other "remarkable" boards due to their "design":

What all this RGB mayhem resulted in is a lot of monochromatic board designs. So that's atleast a plus.

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
Some nice designs, I like the monochrome style. Not sure if I like it more than no paint at all, but it is striking. :-)

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
I love the muted look of the MSI Titanium. Hopefully there will be an ITX variant.
Not entirely sure why the ram needs reinforcement but... w/e

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Hm, I need to carefully look at them all but the only mATX board I see that supports SLI is the Strix.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Looks like a couple of those ATX boards (Titanium and Maximus) have 8 + 4 and 8 + 8 EPS. Is that normal for those sorts of boards? I've never seen that before.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yup, it's for increased current capacity for extreme overclocking. My Asus X99-M WS microATX board has 2x 8-pin CPU connectors.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
It's for that extra OC powaaaaaaaa

I'm guessing they are using it for PCIe power as well, help support cards like the RX480?

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Would be really damned nice if they just had a couple of extra headers on the motherboard and the slots could push 150-200W. Maybe PCIe 4.0 will pull this off.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm guessing they are using it for PCIe power as well, help support cards like the RX480?

No, those are just for the CPU. Some boards (like my X99-M WS again) has a separate (optional) power connector just for the PCIe slots.

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016
Having less memory slots (and therefore DIMMs) can help with overclocking (idk why) and let higher overclocks (5GHz+) be more stable. It's the same reason why the Gigabyte X99 SOC Champion has only 4 DIMM slots instead of 8.

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Yea and it's been that way for a long time.

My previous board (Asus Gene-Z/GEN3 z68) would not hit 5.1GHz with 4 sticks of ram.
If I removed two it didn't have an issue. I was stuck at just 5.0GHz as a result (to use all 4 slots as I wanted).

I think it's just due to the lack of voltage being consumed.

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The 2+1 memory on the Apex board is for troubleshooting your overclocked RAM.

My previous board (Asus Gene-Z/GEN3 z68) would not hit 5.1GHz with 4 sticks of ram.
If I removed two it didn't have an issue. I was stuck at just 5.0GHz as a result.

I think it's just due to the lack of voltage being consumed.
I have this issue without any overclocking on my Core 2 Quad platform with DDR2 @ 2.1V sticks. Two sticks work, four sticks is like playing the roulette wheel. No amount of voltage control could alleviate it.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yup, I went through every single picture on videocardzzzz and I can only confirm the Strix as being capable of SLI for microATX :(

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm hoping AMD's Zen will somehow reinvigorate this lack of proper mATX support.