CPU: Intel i7-8700k

Motherboard: Asus Z390-i Strix

RAM: 32gb Trident Z 3200mhz

GPU: Zotac 2070 SUPER Mini

Storage: 2tb Intel 660p M.2, 1tb Intel 660p M.2

PSU: HDPlex 400w Combo

Case: NFC Skyreach 4 Mini

GPU fans: Noctua Chromax NF-A9 x 2

I have been in love with this chassis ever since I first saw it on Linus's channel. I finally went all in on it, building the system I've always wanted. It's not perfect, still needs some work, but this has been a fun experience.

Basically all I did to make everything fit was remove the heatsink on the HDplex 400w DC-ATX. I'm not 100% sure if that was the most intelligent move but I'm looking into alternatives including modding the heatsink to fit around components. Temperature-wise it's honestly not much different from when I had everything in my Dr. Zaber Sentry. I imagine the Skyslots are to thank for that, as well as the higher-quality fans from Noctua.

The HDplex has a noticeable coil whine as well as a crackling sound which ramps up and down based on load. I'm concerned about that but I can live with it as long as it's safe. I'm hoping it disappears but given the sensitivity of such a product I'm pleased.

As to not clutter up this post, all specific details can be found in this post -
Any questions, comments and/or advice I'm totally open to!

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
Nice build :) If you haven't already, you should post this in the "Builds" subforum, it'll probably get noticed more there!

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
Very nice build. I'm about to attempt something similar with a 9700k and blackridge cooler with VLP ram. How are the temps with gaming and how is the power consumption on that beast? I continually have worries about power draw with a passively cooled hd plex solution.

willxlliw

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 11, 2019
Very nice build. I'm about to attempt something similar with a 9700k and blackridge cooler with VLP ram. How are the temps with gaming and how is the power consumption on that beast? I continually have worries about power draw with a passively cooled hd plex solution.
Hey sorry for the late reply! Temps aren't terrible, but it does struggle after some use. That said with fans set to turbo it maintains temps under 80c pretty well in-game. Since I mainly play in a headset not a huge issue for me. It did power cycle unexpectedly after a couple hours on Destiny 2 but I haven't been able to replicate that since, I decided to drop to 1080p until I figure out how to cool the PSU better.

Power consumption is great. Occasionally spike to 300w but for the most part, 200-250 depending on the task. Rated TDP is just under 400w but I never approach that even in benchmarks. I am very impressed with the setup as I had no real idea if it'd work before going all in lol. Not the best planner.

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
That's pretty awesome, your running a Noctua L9i right?

Interesting that's the first time I've seen someone place the AC-DC adapter time. I plan on using a bracket to shift the 2070 super up.

mariovic20

Cable Smoosher
Feb 12, 2020
In thinking about getting a longer pcie riser and turning my gpu the same direction as my cpu .....in screw the gpu bracket then rearrange the gpu im going to try this ?

mariovic20

Cable Smoosher
Feb 12, 2020
In the skyreach s4 mini disconnect gpu bracket then add longer pcie riser then rearrange the gpu the same direction as my cpu let me know what do y'all think?

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
I'm not sure there is much of an advantage to that. I know Josh NFC has done both, the S3 mini had the same direction, and Josh seems to think different directions is best

willxlliw

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 11, 2019
In thinking about getting a longer pcie riser and turning my gpu the same direction as my cpu .....in screw the gpu bracket then rearrange the gpu im going to try this ?
It crossed my mind initially given the advantages of being able to turn the whole system on it's side but in the end I decided it was more practical to leave it as is. Also kept me from having to fab up and any brackets. Would be very interested in seeing if you ever decided to go that route though!