New S4M build crashing when launching games

maverickiller

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 14, 2018
Hello All,

Just completed my first S4M build and have ran into a strange problem. My system operates perfectly however whenever I try to launch a game my system will make a beep sound and then crash and reboot. The strange part is I can run the furmark GPU and CPU test simultaneously and the system won't crash. However If I launch any game or even the 3Dmarks benchmark the system makes that beep sound crashes and reboots. I initially though this was a software issue and reinstalled all of my drivers, when that did not work I reinstalled windows with no luck. Doing some investigation here I've seen suggestions that it might be the power-brick or the HDplex causing the issue. Before I ordered a new one of both I wanted to post here to make sure I am not missing something simple. My system specs are below:

Asus 370-i
Intel i7-8700 w/ Noctua NH-L9i
Zotac 1080 mini
32 GB Ram (2x 16GB Corsair Vengence)
250 970 Evo m.2
1TB 960 Evo m.2
HP Omen X 330W
HDPlex 400W HiFi DC-ATX

Duality92

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 12, 2018
Do you have a power meter? You shouldn't be going over 330W, so I'm wondering if you happen to have something not plugged properly.

Unplug everything and replug everything

Reactions: Panchirito and Kack

maverickiller

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 14, 2018
Do you have a power meter? You shouldn't be going over 330W, so I'm wondering if you happen to have something not plugged properly.

Unplug everything and replug everything
No I don't have a power meter, I've also tried unplugging everything, using different power cables etc. Used a separate 860w Corsair PSU and everything works fine so its a power issue somewhere. Also used After Burner to force 80% GPU power and everything works, did the same for 90% and everything works. The issue returns right around 95% power so its gotta be a breakdown in the chain somewhere. Larry from HDPlex sent over a new DC-ATX PSU and that didn't fix the issue. Waiting on a new brick now should receive that tomorrow. If that doesn't work its back to the drawing board.

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
What game are you trying to launch, is it on a separate drive, and have you tried checking it for corruption/re-installing it?

Kack

Trash Compacter
Aug 28, 2017
I wonder if it's your omen brick because you're definitely asking for a decent amount of power from the wall...

maverickiller

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 14, 2018
What game are you trying to launch, is it on a separate drive, and have you tried checking it for corruption/re-installing it?
This happens with any game and only certain benchmarks work for example 3dmark crashes right away, where as heaven will work as long as Anti aliasing is turned off the second it is turned on it crashes. Furmakr runs fine though, but I can't do furmark and prime 95 simultaneously... etc
I wonder if it's your omen brick because you're definitely asking for a decent amount of power from the wall...
Followed the build guide on @Josh | NFC website and it suggest this brick. Also received the replacement brick today and it's still crashing. So that's a new HDPlex and a new brick and the issue still remains. I can attach my regular ATX PSU and everything works flawlessly so I'm at a loss now.

Kack

Trash Compacter
Aug 28, 2017
I wonder if a more robust or just plain different AC-DC unit connected to your HDplex DC-DC unit would narrow it down at least is all. I know my S4M i5 8400 1070 itx system would more than likely pull well over 200w now and then under load and it wouldn't be the first time a brick didn't meet its rating peak or otherwise so some of my focus would be on what the the brick actually can take and has been taking from the wall. Hopefully you can figure it out soon, and get back up and running smoothly. Try and get some numbers from the wall to see what's going on there as it is nice to know either way what total system draw can be. Wish you the best.

maverickiller

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 14, 2018
I wonder if a more robust or just plain different AC-DC unit connected to your HDplex DC-DC unit would narrow it down at least is all. I know my S4M i5 8400 1070 itx system would more than likely pull well over 200w now and then under load and it wouldn't be the first time a brick didn't meet its rating peak or otherwise so some of my focus would be on what the the brick actually can take and has been taking from the wall. Hopefully you can figure it out soon, and get back up and running smoothly. Try and get some numbers from the wall to see what's going on there as it is nice to know either way what total system draw can be. Wish you the best.
Thanks for the reply, after speaking with both Larry and Josh, it seems that I have just received a bad batch of the HDPLEX. Josh suggest that for the time being to go with the Dynamo 360 with a HDPLEX 160. So I'll be giving that a try next.

Reactions: Lupercal

Lupercal

Caliper Novice
Sep 14, 2017
Thanks for the reply, after speaking with both Larry and Josh, it seems that I have just received a bad batch of the HDPLEX. Josh suggest that for the time being to go with the Dynamo 360 with a HDPLEX 160. So I'll be giving that a try next.

I've been using the HP Omen 330 with Dynamo mini + Dynamo 360 to power my system. I've had zero issues with this combo.

Bomb4st1c

Cable Smoosher
Mar 1, 2018
@maverickiller @Lupercal :

Not trying to hijack this thread ... on purpose, but could someone with the HP Omen X insert a screenshot, in this thread, of the back of the unit? I can't find this info on the official HP website on whether or not it's: 100 - 240v, 50-60hz.

Thanks in advance.

maverickiller

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 14, 2018
@maverickiller @Lupercal :

Not trying to hijack this thread ... on purpose, but could someone with the HP Omen X insert a screenshot, in this thread, of the back of the unit? I can't find this info on the official HP website on whether or not it's: 100 - 240v, 50-60hz.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry I've already returned both of mine, what are you trying to find out?

Bomb4st1c

Cable Smoosher
Mar 1, 2018
Hi Maverick,

I'm trying to find out if it's an ac adapter that can be used all over the globe ... well more like USA, South America and Europe.
Normally that would mean that on the back of the unit, it says: 100 -240V, 50 - 60 hz

Penguin

Trash Compacter
Jul 25, 2018
Hi Maverick,

I'm trying to find out if it's an ac adapter that can be used all over the globe ... well more like USA, South America and Europe.
Normally that would mean that on the back of the unit, it says: 100 -240V, 50 - 60 hz

Since the brick uses a standard ATX cable connection it should be 100-240V, 50-60Hz (which is also what is stated in HP product documentation for the compatible laptops, but the brick itself doesn't seem to have info). Have you tried emailing HP?

Bomb4st1c

Cable Smoosher
Mar 1, 2018
Since the brick uses a standard ATX cable connection it should be 100-240V, 50-60Hz (which is also what is stated in HP product documentation for the compatible laptops, but the brick itself doesn't seem to have info). Have you tried emailing HP?

Thanks for replying, Penguin.

I haven't contacted HP (yet), but it does seem odd that something so obvious isn't included on the brick itself. I think this should be required?

Bomb4st1c

Cable Smoosher
Mar 1, 2018
Ok I got my answer:

'It's a wide input PSU, 100-240v. That should cover any developed country I know of. You may need to buy a different AC cable, or an adapter. What country do you live in?'

Answered by J :p

Reactions: Penguin

Penguin

Trash Compacter
Jul 25, 2018
Thanks for replying, Penguin.

I haven't contacted HP (yet), but it does seem odd that something so obvious isn't included on the brick itself. I think this should be required?
I agree, and I guess it is stated on the brick (it is required if sold within the EU) but I was unable to find any support documents on the brick yesterday.

Great that you got a clear response from HP!

Bomb4st1c

Cable Smoosher
Mar 1, 2018
I agree, and I guess it is stated on the brick (it is required if sold within the EU) but I was unable to find any support documents on the brick yesterday.

Great that you got a clear response from HP!

Hi Penguin. It was answered by Josh. I think he makes cases ... ;)

Reactions: Penguin