Power Supply Making SF600 Plat Cables Shorter

haroldngkh

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 9, 2020
Hi guys,

I haven't made custom length cables before, but I'd like to give it a go.

I'm planning on getting an SF600 Plat for my new SFF build, and I'd like to shorten the cables for better cable management and airflow. Is this possible? If so, what resources and/or tools would you guys recommend?

Thanks

Last edited:

gbellman

Trash Compacter
Nov 7, 2019
Hi guys,

I haven't made custom length cables before, but I'd like to give it a go.

I'm planning on getting an SF600 Plat for my new SFF build, and I'd like to shorten the cables for better cable management and airflow. Is this possible? If so, what resources and/or tools would you guys recommend?

Thanks
modular or non?

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
It might take the enjoyment out, but there are services available that sells custom cables for Corsair PSUs. Unless this is your second PC, don't do it, especially if you're new to this. Wrong wires can lead to catastrophic failure(s) as you're playing with literal fire hazard.

Just remember that PSU pin routes differs from one vendor to another, so if you're looking for a guide, make sure it's exactly for that particular model.

Still, my recommendation is just to find a custom sleever.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
I´ve used this cables terminals and everything, good stuff. It´s not difficult, but go slow and be carefull to wire everything where it belongs

XcPNehVYlE4A3C

Average Stuffer
Feb 8, 2016
i would recommend this instead. cables are not just shorter, theres a lot less of them.

nkresho

Cable Smoosher
Dec 14, 2019
If you're not totally discouraged and still want to diy, most of the psus I've worked on in the past few years use pcie connectors at the psu side. I'll shorten the wires one at a time and try to reconnect each as I go. Always helps to have extra connectors on hand. You'll need a decent molex 2 pin tool and a decent crimper for the correct gauge of wire. It's meticulous work and I always seem to snag a fingertip in the process (pulling the pins out). For me, customizing to the case with little or no slack is the top priority. I'll try top grab a pic of the equipment I use in a couple hours when I can get to my computer room.

edit: pics (lone industries L5 and morex 557)

results: (more recent builds)

Original images:

Also my Evo, but that's not nearly done yet. GPU side is a spaghetti mess. Experimenting with silicone wire for the second GPU power cable. Not sure how I feel about the ultra flexible stuff yet. I use it to build flashlights, but it's a lot softer. Also got a sata power adapter to the AIO that needs a bit of shortening attention.

Shamefully posting that WIP anyway

Last edited:

nkresho

Cable Smoosher
Dec 14, 2019
Totally a rabbit hole... Wanted to give some perspective so you could decide whether or not to persue. It's the build it or buy it decision. Whether or not it's worth the time, effort, or frustration is personal. I don't contract out much. Even at the stage of life that I can afford to do so. Just never get the exact result unless I do it myself.

Reactions: haroldngkh