Prototype Mac Pro Jr.

Metroversal

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2017

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The metal bending is superb! Reminds me of my first DIY case and (failed) Prodigy case mod. Can't wait to see where it goes!

phunguss

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 19, 2018
I know this should all be in the first thread... but I will update it when completed.

I completed the internal mounts for the motherboard, so I could find where the IO panel cutout needed to be. I also mounted the power supply to find where that cutout needed to be. I have to build a mount for the video card and place the PCI slots on the rear cover.

Final shell assembly. I cut top/bottom panels and attached with 4-40 torx screws. The screws are under the handles, so not too visible near the seams where mesh meets solid panels. The outer shell is connected with 12 4-40 torx screws on each side. The component access panel is attached with 4 screws. Not as easy as the original MacPro latch, but size is a limit.

Finishing. I think I will sand all the deep scratches and then sandblast it. Then either anodize it or cover with clear matte paint.

phunguss

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 19, 2018
The PCI-slot cage took some work. Several ideas, and changes, and once I built it, things changed. So this is the final back plate:

I ended up building it wider than I imagined (fat fingers need to be able to unplug DisplayPort latches), and it almost didn't fit on the rear panel. I wasn't sure how I was going to attach it to the rear panel, until I drew this design and decided to bend the rear panel. This gave the rear mesh some rigidity from all the access holes, and allowed my PCI cage to be mounted to the side frame. It also increased the strength along the I/O panel.

Bent most of it in the bench vice with a hammer and piece of dowel to whack it.

Testing the video card faceplate...

Cut the back hole and slot the folds.

Bend the tabs.

Add some pop rivets and screws.

The final back:

The last piece to build is the PCIE riser card support that doubles as the radiator mount.

Last edited:

phunguss

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 19, 2018
Case complete, installation and testing of computer components:

First up, the radiator mount. I made the case size based on the radiator size, so no real mount needed. There is barely a quarter inch on any dimension, and the front panel wires and fan power on one side push it to the limits on the other. So, just a couple notches in the frame and bend them over a bid to work as a holding mechanism. The PCIE riser support will hold the rest of the radiator in place.

The bottom has both sides tabbed, but the top only has the front side tabbed. The radiator is placed in location, then held in on the rear by the PCIE support bracket. This bracket hold the PCIE riser and has a spot for a bolt on 2.5 drive on the bottom.

After making this bracket and installing the push/pull radiator (with 12mm thick fans on both sides + 3mm offset for fan scraping), it appears my PCIE riser will not be able to plug in the USB on the rear (left of picture). I have other risers, ones that I have modified for other cube projects, so I used one of those and it fits fine.

I then added all the soft tubing, filled it up, and powered it on! It is tight, I don't think it would have fit in the original cube, even with the radiator external.

Some final burn-in and testing before I close up the case and call it complete!

TristanDuboisOLG

Average Stuffer
May 10, 2018
Is that an X99e-ITX/ac that I spy?

Also, I'm curious about how you intent to do the side cover. Are you going to do any anodizing/finishing on the outside? Chamfering of the edges?

Nice bends as always!

phunguss

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 19, 2018
Is that an X99e-ITX/ac that I spy?

Also, I'm curious about how you intent to do the side cover. Are you going to do any anodizing/finishing on the outside? Chamfering of the edges?

Nice bends as always!
-Yes, it is an ASRock x99e-itx/ac. 3.8 rom, 64Gb ram.
-The side cover is held on with 4 screws, so both sides match the 12 screw layout. The top and bottom row have 4 screws and 4 hold on the cover.
-For finishing, I will likely sand out any deep scratches, then sandblast, and either anodize or matte clear paint.

Hopefully I will not be opening it too often, so the screws should not be too difficult to handle.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
D: that case is way too good for a bitcoin usb riser! i hope that doesnt affect performance too much
was going to say that lol. the PCI cage is so well done. you could get away with a simple black riser, (maybe 20 to 25cm?) going over the pci car, so it would not block the air of the gpu itself. and keep the rest the same.

but hey, Thats some superb work, I really like what you did there, and the result is looking great :) cant wait for more finished pics

Reactions: NateDawg72

phunguss

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 19, 2018
Interesting, not sure what you mean by ROM but which 32gb sticks did you go with?
Bios v3.80.
The RAM sticks I purchased used on eBay, here is the info:

eBay: 2133MHz PC4-17000R Memory Lenovo ThinkServer RD350 RD450

AIDA64:
Memory Device Properties:
Form Factor RIMM
Type Detail Synchronous
Size 32767 MB
Speed 2133 MHz
Total Width 72-bit
Data Width 72-bit
Device Locator DIMM_A1