Machining watercooling parts?

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 5, 2016
Im in the process of designing a 3d printable frame like the PurePC in the build logs section for a case and was trying to figure out how to mount a reservoir and came to the conclusion that I don't want a standard reservoir and would like to CNC some acrylic that could be put inside of the frame and mount a pump to it.

Has anyone here ever made their own reservoirs? What thickness acrylic would be good for this and should I just use an epoxy to seal or should I look into some silicon cord to make some o-rings? How should I do leak testing on it to make sure it won't fail?

If this works out I might make a connector block and not use fittings, much like the ekwb terminal outlet/inlets.

Kallus

Caliper Novice
Feb 27, 2018
Hans peder sahl has a video on distro plates that might help. And a smaller youtuber called radikult has a number of videos on making custom resses.

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 5, 2016
Hans peder sahl has a video on distro plates that might help. And a smaller youtuber called radikult has a number of videos on making custom resses.

Yeah ive been watching radikults vids but honestly they are terribly boring (the older ones) and don't supply a lot of detail. I'll give the other person a look.

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 5, 2016
Parvum Systems makes a ton of custom acrylic reservoirs, so you can contact them.

I shot off an email to see what they use/do for their reservoirs late last night. Nothing back yet.

The bit-tech article seemed to be the same information I was finding online. I skimmed the OCN thread and it was more of the same.

All in all I think I have the information I need to get this started. I'm actually starting to think about doing the entire frame/case out of cast acrylic and using it as a panel to run coolant. Saves on space *somewhat* and I wont need to worry about some of the more troublesome spots with my current design. I've started mocking up a new design in Fusion 360 using 6mm cast acrylic (so frame pieces will be 12mm once screwed together which sounds super hefty to me but should be fine).

Now onto the next part... how to mount 2x 120mm rads lol... I can figure that out later.

Last edited:
Reactions: AleksandarK

Kallus

Caliper Novice
Feb 27, 2018
Be careful with such thing panels. I believe there was another person in a different thread that said that his local cnc machine guy couldn't do less than 8mm thich waterblocks. Have you looked into that?

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 5, 2016
Be careful with such thing panels. I believe there was another person in a different thread that said that his local cnc machine guy couldn't do less than 8mm thich waterblocks. Have you looked into that?

I'll be machining them in my garage and I have access to 6mm up to 30mm thick acrylic (4mm increments). I have to do 2 sides of the same thickness (at least thats what im planning) so it would be at least 12mm thick. From what I've seen online, as long as they have a 3mm wall it will be fine for the pressure that would normally be made by a D5 pump. I can easily bump it up though to be anywhere between 20mm and 60mm and adjust as needed.