Prototype Mac Pro Jr.

phunguss

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 19, 2018
I have a x99 motherboard with Xeon e5-2696v3 (18 core) that I wanted to Hackintosh into a G4 Cube case, along with an AMD R9 Nano 4gb. Not enough cubic space (350ci or 5.7liters) for water cooling without the radiator being external, so after the new Mac Pro was announced, I decided the components would fit into a tower case better, hence the concept of the Mac Pro Jr. (610ci or 10liters). The Jr. is 63% the size of the original G5/Intel Mac Pro tower (the new mac pro is relatively the same size as the original). It will stand about 12.5 inches tall and 5.25 wide.

I have all the components running on the bench in a water cooled configuration with a 120x120mm radiator, but to give a little more cooling capacity and more quiet operation, I will double the radiator to 120x240mm and make it push/pull.

I built a cardboard prototype to test component size and have started on the aluminum case. Hopefully this weekend I will get some of the components bent and either spot welded with TIG or attempt brazing.

Conceptually, I have to figure out how to mount everything before I start bonding metal, as I only want to build one case, not five.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

phunguss

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 19, 2018
I purchased a couple sheets of perforated aluminum to try to get close to the hole diameter of the original Mac Pro Tower. The smaller size has 40% holes and the larger 50% holes (more air flow). On the 5x12 inch face/back, that gives me about 22-27 square inches of free air flow.

I used a 1-1/4 inch dowel and placed the panels in my bench vise. Make sure everything is square, and bend it over to 90 degrees.

Very nice roll.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Looking awesome, it seems to be a really nice tribute to the PowerMac/Mac Pro design !

phunguss

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 19, 2018
So I ordered some flux and brazing material for aluminum as I only have a stick welder. My MAP torch did not get hot enough or I didn't wait long enough... so I went old school. All screws. This is the progress so far.

Completed the basic cage, have to make mounts for most components, and roll/fold the outer case.

I think this is going to work!

phunguss

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 19, 2018
Time for the outer shell! Estimated size 24-5/8 x 11-3/4. Again, mostly hand tools and the occasional power tool, this time being a jigsaw. After my sloppy corners, a little hand filing smoothed them out.

Then I made my own roller bender with a 1.5 dowel and a 1 inch box tubing scrap. I did a few test bends and gave it a go.

It looks groovy, so slip fit it on, no adhesives yet, thinking of putting 12 screws on each side to hold it in place, since I am not welding it.

Compare it to the cardboard aided draft (CAD). I have to make mount holes for internal parts, and cutout front and rear panels.

Baaaaaaaby Mac, Mac, Mac...

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
That is looking very cool, you do a lot with some simple tools. Looking forward to the completed build.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Ganelon

Average Stuffer
Feb 23, 2017
I think maybe we've been giving Apple too much credit for design and build quality all these years considering you can make something very nearly as great and clean-looking as a scratch build with consumer tools.

Reactions: Soul_Est

phunguss

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 19, 2018
Will you be making copies or giving out measurements to recreate this.

I will share the 3D model in .STL format. I will give overall measurements when it is complete. So when building by hand and not CNC/Laser, the actual dimensions and assembly changes on the fly. Some parts get re-engineered from what I wanted to happen, to the easiest or only way I was able to create and assemble them. Being that I only wanted to build one case, I may have enough to build a 2nd if I can find other tools, or someone with those tools to make the production better. Thanks for asking!

phunguss

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 19, 2018
My front panel design has changed due to the mounting and the mesh and not being able to weld/braze it. So for now, it is rough, and I will likely redo it later after all the other parts are complete.

I got 3 of 4 motherboard mounts in place.

And here is the STL 3D model (without the perf panels, as the file gets super large): Mac Pro Jr 3D model in STL format