Production M2427 - Cable Management Freedom

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
(What is "double crimp"? Crimping a molex pin to each end of a wire?)
Two wires crimped into one terminal:
(the terminal on this pic is not the kind used for the 24pin)

http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~gerry/class/EAS199B/howto/LCDwiring/female_block.html

Antioch

Trash Compacter
Oct 15, 2019
Thank you for taking the time to research this and report the findings.
I'll have to research this and hopefully address in REV2.
Otherwise, is it working as expected? If you do need that feature, give me a PM and we'll work from there.

I know it's only been two weeks, but I wonder if any progress on diagnosis this has been made? This is an excellent mod and I'm considering buying two of these, one of which I would like the "OS shutdown with reboot on power loss" feature working as intended.

I'd also like to make custom length wiring for mine, which means removing the set it comes with. However, I'm not familiar with the connector used to attach the 12V and GND wires to the board. Would you please share more information about this?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I know it's only been two weeks, but I wonder if any progress on diagnosis this has been made? This is an excellent mod and I'm considering buying two of these, one of which I would like the "OS shutdown with reboot on power loss" feature working as intended.

I'd also like to make custom length wiring for mine, which means removing the set it comes with. However, I'm not familiar with the connector used to attach the 12V and GND wires to the board. Would you please share more information about this?

It'd have to address in R2 which will be a while but it is on the list of features.

For modifying it, you need some basic soldering work. You can splice and extend the wires using butt connectors or solder extensions. You can also remove the stock wire by desoldering it. Primary current wires are just soldered after being crimped together. The other wires are connected to JST EH series connector, 3 pin. You would need some basic crimping skills.

What cases are you using btw?

Retrias

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 28, 2018
so this is basically a power distro board that can include sata power into one module so you dont have to plug all of them to your PSU ?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
so this is basically a power distro board that can include sata power into one module so you dont have to plug all of them to your PSU ?

Correct. Essentially a Picopsu that is designed to work with your atx based power supply. It still requires you to use your gpu and cpu power connector separate, as those draw a lot of current.

Is it possible to make one that can fully Distro a system? Yes. But it requires a big pcb, and gets quite more expensive.

Reactions: BaK

Antioch

Trash Compacter
Oct 15, 2019
For modifying it, you need some basic soldering work. You can splice and extend the wires using butt connectors or solder extensions. You can also remove the stock wire by desoldering it. Primary current wires are just soldered after being crimped together. The other wires are connected to JST EH series connector, 3 pin. You would need some basic crimping skills.

What cases are you using btw?

I can crimp, but am more worried about the butt connectors -- have never worked with those. Any recommended connectors I should use for those? (Prefer not to do extensions as they're not as clean, heh)

One is a Dan A4, the other is some micro server case I modded.

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I can crimp, but am more worried about the butt connectors -- have never worked with those. Any recommended connectors I should use for those? (Prefer not to do extensions as they're not as clean, heh)

One is a Dan A4, the other is some micro server case I modded.

They are just cylinder pieces of metal that allows you to crimp one wire on one side and another wire on the other side. Or you can twist them together and do a single crimp piece.

Then you cover the open conductor with some heatshrink tubing. It'll be stiff at the location of the crimp but it's pretty non hassle as far as amount of work goes.

The pinout are labeled on the pcb so you should be able to determine which wire with which.

If possible, please post pictures. I'm sure there are a lot of lurkers interested!

Aranii

Minimal Tinkerer
Oct 16, 2019
What is your approximate timeframe for releasing the 2nd revision? Would they be shipping by the end of November?

Antioch

Trash Compacter
Oct 15, 2019
... Primary current wires are just soldered after being crimped together...

Sorry, this is what I wanted to know. How are the ends of the primary current wires crimped together before being soldered to the board?

Last edited:

Kilrah

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 20, 2017
Is there an idea yet of whether the reboot on power loss thing could be a DIY fix on the board?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Sorry, this is what I wanted to know. How are the ends of the primary current wires crimped together before being soldered to the board?

They're just a simple crimp that makes it easy to solder two wires. You don't need it. You can twist two wires and just tin it, or just simply solder them as is.

Last edited:

srekal34

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2019
Is the platinum version backwards compatible with gold? Currently I have gold, but I would like to upgrade in the future without changing the adapter.

andornaut

Chassis Packer
Feb 24, 2017
Those who have gotten a chance to use the platinum version, how has the experience been?

Seems to be working well so far. I haven't run under much load yet, though. I definitely appreciate the extra room in my Ncase M1

Btw: I spliced the 12v wire to the sense wire instead of double crimping or routing to an open PCIe terminal, which seems to work fine.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Seems to be working well so far. I haven't run under much load yet, though. I definitely appreciate the extra room in my Ncase M1

Btw: I spliced the 12v wire to the sense wire instead of double crimping or routing to an open PCIe terminal, which seems to work fine.

Sweet. Can you post a picture for others to see how it looks inside the M1?

Antioch

Trash Compacter
Oct 15, 2019
They're just a simple crimp that makes it easy to solder two wires. You don't need it. You can twist two wires and just tin it, or just simply solder them as is.

Yeah, I know I could do the normal twist and solder, but I would love to know what that crimp connector is. It looks so clean. Do you have a name/part number?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Yeah, I know I could do the normal twist and solder, but I would love to know what that crimp connector is. It looks so clean. Do you have a name/part number?
No I do not. I thought it was interesting too. It's essentially a very short crimp with no male/female pin. So i guess you can just use any crimp and then snip off the pin part.

Reactions: Antioch