M2 to 10G

BillyBob

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
Is it possible to go from an M2 connector to a 10G card?

So i guess that really boils down to , is it possible to go from an M2 connector to a PCI-e riser so that a 10G card could be plugged into it ?

BillyBob

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
Great - thanks for the heads up.

Has anyone here on this forum done a M2 to 10G card setup ?

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
Are you happy with the A2SDi? Any downsides?

I have two A1SRi that I've been thinking about upgrading. The only thing stopping me is the price of RAM currently. 64GB ECC in each box adds up to a lot of money.

visuar

Caliper Novice
Apr 12, 2018
I just put in a single 16 GB of ECC RAM right now and will add more over time as the machine gets set up with VM's etc.

So far the mainboard has been great. I think BIOS reset itself once, but that was with a lot of testing with the M.2 adapter and riser cables etc., so not entirely sure what happened.

Server 2016 (Essentials) and Server 2019 are running good on it so far. Needs GPU & network drivers (which are on the SM site), and there's a bunch of unknown PCIe devices, but that doesn't seem to impact anything.

softerik

What's an ITX?
Sep 10, 2019
Hello, Please I need help
I had a similar setup, a m.2 to 10Gbe intel X540-T1 but I have problems installing my drivers, device not recognize in device manager....
The intel driver says No Intel(R) Adapters are present in this computer ...

Any clue someone please

Thanks in advance for your precious help guys

LostEnergy

Caliper Novice
Sep 25, 2019
A X540-T2 will eat 14W (chip at spec has it at 12.5W; T1 10W chip 6.5W) when working, m.2 slots are designed according to spec for about 7W max. Your mainboard designer might or might not put safeguards for this in place. Anyway, there's a risk of excessive heat on power conducting parts of the PCB.

The Intel 700' series are less wasteful at about 4W.

Hope that helps someone!

Reactions: Choidebu