M1 12-Core 2080ti Easy-Bake-Oven

thefiend1

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 6, 2017
Hey guys!

Just finished building this beast. Its a miracle all the parts worked considering half of them were sitting in a closet for months while waiting for the CPU to arrive. Wiring is not complete - I plan on doing something custom for this because the length needed is much much shorter than what came with psu.

The part list:
Ncase M1 V5 w/Window
Intel 9920X 12-core 3.5Ghz Processor
Nvidia RTX 2080Ti
AsRock X299-ITX/ac
Corsair 64GB Ram @ 2666Mhz
Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe Drives (2)
Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb NVMe Drive (1)
Seasonic Focus SFX-L 650 Watts
Noctua U9S
Noctua B9 Redux Fans 1600rpm, 92mm (2)
Thermal Graphite Pad (instead of paste)
BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 2200rpm 120mm Fans (2, below the GPU)

She runs but shes hot! I ran Prime95 at the default settings (blend - never used Prime95 so im not even sure what im doing) for about 15 minutes and noticed it hit 83C before I killed it. Windows 10 even notified me that it was running too hot. Im new to this much performance but I need it since I do alot of CG work rendering images - so the PC will need to run at max load for many hours.

I dont plan on doing any overclocking - I just want the CPU to run at its advertised speed without it hitting its thermal barrier before it starts to downclock. Idle the cpu is about 40C, max I saw was 83C using CPUID and NZXT Cam software. Both report about the same numbers but my bios reports something higher - so im not sure which one is accurate.

What do you guys recommend?
(window panel off)

Last edited:
Reactions: loader963

axtran

Average Stuffer
Feb 13, 2017
For one, it's good that it runs hot, so you can make chocolate chip cookies in that Easy Bake Oven! ;)

You're overworking that 92mm cooler. Unfortunately, I think it's the end of the road for those fans... try this--Mount a 92mm fan externally (get a fan protector) at the 92mm port (reuse one of your Redux fans), and then switch to the D9L variant of the cooler so that you can stack another two fans center and toward the RAM. (Cooler: https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d9l ; Fans: https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a9-pwm) I think your cooler had to have come with one of the NF-A9 PWM fans stock, buying another D9L will net you the second one. Although the Redux look better with the cool grey, they do not perform as well. If this doesn't work, you'll need to try out yet a different cooler.

Wyd4

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 21, 2018
For one, it's good that it runs hot, so you can make chocolate chip cookies in that Easy Bake Oven! ;)

You're overworking that 92mm cooler. Unfortunately, I think it's the end of the road for those fans... try this--Mount a 92mm fan externally (get a fan protector) at the 92mm port (reuse one of your Redux fans), and then switch to the D9L variant of the cooler so that you can stack another two fans center and toward the RAM. (Cooler: https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d9l ; Fans: https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a9-pwm) I think your cooler had to have come with one of the NF-A9 PWM fans stock, buying another D9L will net you the second one. Although the Redux look better with the cool grey, they do not perform as well. If this doesn't work, you'll need to try out yet a different cooler.

Yeah true that you are pushing the U9s, however I was running the D9L with 3 fans on my 8700k and the results were no better than the U9s. Your millage may vary.

You could try a 240mm AIO to tame the i9 as as far as air cooling goes you are pushing it about as best as you can with the U9s in an m1.
Using the normal 92mm Noctua fans will net better results than teh grey fans just through having a bit more RPM up your sleeve.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Your windowed side panel, unfortunately, precludes you from using the panel for fans and for watercooling rad.

Maybe you can do this test to ascertain if the U9S is being pushed to its limit or if it is a case (pun intended) of insufficient ventilation.
Simply run the Prime95 test again, with the side windowed panel off. This should give an abundant supply of fresh ambient air.
If the U9S is at its limit, this opening up should not improve the thermals much.
If the U9S is not at its limit and the high temp is due to inadequate ventilation, then you should see a more noticeable drop of load temp.

Also, maybe, instead of using Prime95 (which is good for checking stability of an overclocking), use whatever CG rendering software(s) that you intend to use. This should reflect actual use in the real world much accurately. Say, 45 or 60 minutes should give you a stabilized max load temp?

PS Having the M1 sitting on top of the Rotel amp is not a good idea as the 2 bottom intake fans will suck hot air up from the amp's top vent openings.

Last edited:

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
You're overworking that 92mm cooler. Unfortunately, I think it's the end of the road for those fans...
I think your cooler had to have come with one of the NF-A9 PWM fans stock, buying another D9L will net you the second one. Although the Redux look better with the cool grey, they do not perform as well. If this doesn't work, you'll need to try out yet a different cooler.

That's a great build, and super powerful.
My understanding about the Noctuas is the same as the comment above. If you look at the 92mm Redux fan specs, sadly they are lower RPM rated than the 'Coffee & Cream' standard versions, making them less able to cool your system.

I have a silver M1, U9S and one Redux fan, and that's where the similarity between our rigs ends! XD I'm running an i5 4670K not heavily OC and a GTX 970, which isn't a problem for the cooling.
I agree that the grey fans look better, but it's true that the standard ones are better despite their color scheme. I may well buy a second NF-A9 PWM so I have 2 matching fans in terms of airflow and colour.
Good luck with getting it running cooler.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I agree that the grey fans look better, but it's true that the standard ones are better despite their color scheme. I may well buy a second NF-A9 PWM so I have 2 matching fans in terms of airflow and colour....
Grey fans can screw up your spelling ability too. Better use the standard ones.:)

Reactions: Arboreal

thefiend1

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 6, 2017
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I just purchased another NF-A9 to go with the other one that came with the U9S. As soon as I receive it Im going to swap the redux fans for the A9s and see how it does. Id like to stay away from the AIO if I can - I havent ruled it out but considering I cant return the Noctua at this point id like to make it work.

I do wish there was an extra bracket to mount another small fan at the top of the case (on the inside). I think there's just enough room to make it happen. Maybe once I get all the wiring done I might look into doing something custom.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
Dark Rock TF? You already have Silent Wings fans, bring in more :) As you can see two 92mm won't work but two 135mm certainly will.

thefiend1

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 6, 2017
PS Having the M1 sitting on top of the Rotel amp is not a good idea as the 2 bottom intake fans will suck hot air up from the amp's top vent openings.

Just noticed this bit - I dont plan on putting it directly on the amp but I thought about putting it on a vented shelf a couple inches above it. I did run the amp for about an hour with music playing and the computer running and I didnt really notice too much of a difference. But I do agree about the concern. In the end I might not put it there after all...

Rotel .... om nom nom. Now a man needs a name ! What are those floorstanding speakers I can spot on 1st post ?

Those are the Klipsch RF7ii speakers in cherry :) Very happy with them for movies!

Reactions: Arboreal

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Grey fans can screw up your spelling ability too. Better use the standard ones.:)

Ahhh, I've been rumbled! All that effort not be American-ize things, and I've failed - too much haste I fear :eek:

Bi-regional perhaps :p

Sound intriguing! ;)

If you're fussy, one grey [gray?] and one brown does offend the sensibilities...especially as my M1 is unique with its graphite grey chassis.

Anyway, @thefiend1, enjoy your super powerful M1 and lovely HiFi :cool:

Glint

Master Lurker
Jul 20, 2018
...:eek:

Why in the world hadn't I thought about wrapping the fan cable around the fan itself? So simple, yet so genius!

Coriolan

Efficiency Noob
Aug 20, 2018
Hi! As far as M1 specs say, you could fit a 130mm cooler, right? I run an Alpenfoehn Atlas on a stock clocked 8700K and temps max out at 75° after one hour of Prime95. Alpenfoehn claims that the cooler can deal with 200W TDP - don‘t know what the i9s draw, but you should be better off than with the Noctua dwarf - that‘s a lot of anti-patriotism from an Austrian :-) Ah, btw, the Atlas is 125mm tall.

thefiend1

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 6, 2017
Just wanted to update. Everything seemed pretty ok until recently.

I was doing some benchmarks and seeing how my 9920x (result) is comparing to the new 10920x results on the geekbench website and its a quarter of the speed of the new processor with 12 cores.....

Ive been having a feeling maybe something is wrong, so I got a hold of the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to see if there is any thermal throttling happening at all.

At first glance the from this graph during a cinebench R20 run there appears to be power throttling!

The burgundy line appears to show power throttling when the cpu is utilized semi heavily. You can see on the right that Current Throttling is also highlighted when there is nothing happening. This keeps turning on and off every other second and sometimes more than a second.

Im really confused. Whats happening here? Is my PSU not enough?

(Edit: Turns out Geekbench 5 does thing differently than Geekbench 4... which is what the 10920X was run on.... So I downloaded that version and as it turns out mine beats that one. Assuming because the stock clocks of the 10920X were much lower than where mine are. Will be interesting to see the final numbers.)

Last edited:

Wyd4

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 21, 2018
My 8700k was power throttling.

I just maxed the long and short max current durations etc in bios and fixed it right up.

Obviously pays to monitor the voltages etc etc in hwinfo or something after the change. But had no issues since.

Mine was doing it on anything over 4.4ghz on all cores

Sorted that out and had a tinker with some other settings and got it stable on water at 5.3

Glad to see yours is on par though taking into consideration the differences in geekbench