Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
CPU: 75℃
GPU: 64℃
dBA: 50.6
That's insanely loud. What's impressive about that?

Impressively loud and hot 😅

IMHO this "review" was published one day too late...

Don't get me wrong, l like the looks of that case but if someone is paying more than 300 USD for a case I can't believe he/she would putting some mid range components inside. And obviously for high end stuff the cooling performance is just not good enough.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
The Tom's Hardware build was done with an Intel i5-9600K, and I think sub 100W TDP CPUs are what you should realistically expect to use with this case.

They also mention that Noctua has an S1 RAW Edition of their NH-L12S coming out. With that likely being the best cooler that will be available for this case you may be able to use 8 core or higher Ryzen 5000 series CPUs, but you're not going to have a quiet system.

I'd probably get some magnetic dust filters from DEMCifilter for this too. I'm sure it won't be long before they add a set to their current offerings.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Don't get me wrong, l like the looks of that case but if someone is paying more than 300 USD for a case I can't believe he/she would putting some mid range components inside. And obviously for high end stuff the cooling performance is just not good enough.

I think there will still be people who will build a mid-range PC into this if they like the look of it.

Back when I first started working in the 90s I sold a Silicon Graphics workstation to an executive who bought it to run simple Office type applications (Probably WordPerfect and Lotus 123 at the time). He didn't care what the specs were, he just liked the aesthetic for his office.

I think at the time that system cost the equivalent of 4 or 5 capable business desktop PCs.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I think there will still be people who will build a mid-range PC into this if they like the look of it.

Back when I first started working in the 90s I sold a Silicon Graphics workstation to an executive who bought it to run simple Office type applications (Probably WordPerfect and Lotus 123 at the time). He didn't care what the specs were, he just liked the aesthetic for his office.

I think at the time that system cost the equivalent of 4 or 5 capable business desktop PCs.

Guess you are right. Probably there are enough people who don't really care that much about noise or temps but more about aesthetics.

Anyways, hope to see some more reviews popping up. Would be interested to see some more realistic test scenario, like e.g. playing Cyberpunk with all fans set to standard mode.

Reactions: AlexTSG

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
And again - aesthetics is very subject. I mean - yes, Raw S1 looks nice, but I like my SM550 better and it blends perfectly in my surroundings. So, on the (obvious) selling point of S1, for me, it is just mediacore.

Not to mention that I have 5900x + 6800XT in my case, which is already beyond edge, imagine I put them in this shoebox :D

Elaman

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
There are a few images of the interior layout now.

Although I'm a little skeptical of the cooling performance, I still really like the overall appearance and layout. So much so, that I'm considering getting one.

Hmmm but can we not count on having a founders edition 3080 laying around?

daddelbud

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 9, 2019
Its very nice, but cant use it as there is no easy access to motherboard-rear :(

guess im still waiting for meshilicious

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018

Yikes, CPU cooling performance with the shell on absolutely blows, Almost a 20c delta between it on and off is completely unacceptable in my book.

Between the lackluster fit & finish, materials and poor cooling, I'm not sure how they're justifying that price tag compared to the Ghost S1 MKIII...

Reactions: dealda

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Just from the pics, its design does not reflect anything similar to the Corsair One.
For instance, Corsair One has removable side panels to access the interior while the Raw S1 has a monolithic all around shell to slide in. This slide-in feature might not be a very good idea as it just takes some effort to access the interior. One good thing:- No TG to show off RGB.

It looks like vertical cases are getting more attention these days.

BTW, those feet/support structures in those pics need some more work. They do not look that pretty or elegant.
Really? Because the very first thing I thought when I saw it was that it looks like the Corsair One. LOL

I've been following this case for a bit. It's interesting. I like the look. However, I think my main rigs return to SFF will be via the Ghost S1 with 240mm AIO or the Dan C4.

Last edited:

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I am surprised that the fit and finish wasn't better on the sample that Hardware Canucks received.

If I was sending out a handful of review samples, I would double check each one before shipping.

Hopefully, this will improve with future batches.

I'm not sure that any major changes will be made to the case, but I'd like to see a version that's a few centimeters taller to accommodate a top 140mm fan internally, and possibly give a little more room for cables at the bottom. Increasing the height would also allow the option of fitting an even longer GPU (like the XFX Speedster MERC319 cards) if the top fan space was not used, or a smaller top fan was mounted, offset to one side.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
how they're justifying that price tag compared to the Ghost S1 MKIII...
made in Sweden, plus any goodwill / brand equity they've built up over the years with the Ghost.

IMO if this was not a Louqe product, people would have trashed it right to the bin because of what you get - sub-par quality and horrible thermal performance, for a stupidly high price premium just does not make sense.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I am surprised that the fit and finish wasn't better on the sample that Hardware Canucks received.

If I was sending out a handful of review samples, I would double check each one before shipping.

Hopefully, this will improve with future batches.

I'm not sure that any major changes will be made to the case, but I'd like to see a version that's a few centimeters taller to accommodate a top 140mm fan internally, and possibly give a little more room for cables at the bottom. Increasing the height would also allow the option of fitting an even longer GPU (like the XFX Speedster MERC319 cards) if the top fan space was not used, or a smaller top fan was mounted, offset to one side.

Edges of the inner sheet metal parts look like CNC punched (or maybe hybrid laser cut/punched) to me (as far as I can tell from the video). Probably they are still not sure what quantities to expect and therefore didn't invest in stamping tools for those parts. So this could still improve for future batches.

I think major changes to the case e.g. like increasing the size are unlikely. Maybe if they make a RAW S2 one day.

Another thing I noticed: the case is advertised as "build for the road" but... having all I/O at the bottom doesn't sound very practical to me for a case you frequently moving around. Also, the GPU seems to be only fixed by one thumbscrew - and the riser cable. If I would put a heavy 3 slot card in there and use this case for "on the road" I would be more comfortable having the GPU fixed with three (thumb-) screws.

Last edited:

Kundahli

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 29, 2017
There really isn't a place to post about this case yet, so I thought I would drop some temperature testing here. I am, by all means, a complete novice at testing cases:

Worth emphasizing again that this is without any case fans. I didn't have any extra 120 on hand to populate the rear exhaust. Thus, these tests are mostly looking at the natural airflow pattern in the case. Sort of like a stock GHOST S1 (no tophats)

What I found surprising is that the single fan Noctua NH-L12 runs warmer than the 5600x stock cooler with a shroud. With just a single fan on the NH-L12, the intake is too far away from the side panel to draw cold air in and so hot air is pulled in from within the case.

It also look like this case definitely needs active cooling to keep enthusiast hardware under control. Without exhaust fans, air from the GPU floods the case and increases CPU temperatures. Just removing the top panel to give the GPU exhaust an exit can lower CPU temps 7C. With that said, even without fans nothing was thermal throttling for my build. Fans will likely only help this.

I mentioned this to Louqe, but I really think this case should have launched with options to purchase whatever accessories they are still planning for the top (AIO support, fan enclosure, etc...). I think the potential of this case won't be fully achieved until these accessories are available.

Last edited: