Looking for SFF case suggestions

Tonyblu331

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 9, 2020
Hello,

Lately, I have been moving a lot these last few months since last year and I expect that this will continue. I want to move from my Corsair 750D Full Tower to an SFF case. I have been looking but I haven't really found a case that can fit what I am trying to put in which is as follow:

At least x1 3.5 HDD (This one will be used for Cold-Storage)
x2 2.5 SATA SSDs
x1 240mm Radiator
Asus RoG Crosshair 8 Impact (Mini-DTX)

I am planning to build a 240MM Liquid cool loop here still debating myself if I will go with an AIO or a Custom Loop. As for pc specs, I will be going with a Ryzen 9 and couple it up with an RTX 2080S (I think the founder editions and some of EVGA version are 2-slot GPU). At the beginning of my hunt I wanted to fill my case with fans but I guess putting that extra amount of storage I will have to sacrifice that and at the end isn't that much of a difference when it comes to thermals. But because I plan to OC my CPU and as well a slight boost to my GPU as I will be doing a lot of 3D Design and Digital Design related stuff I guess I will need some good thermals to avoid my case to become an oven. The problem is finding one that can fit all this while being able to put it inside a standard travel carry-on luggage.

My main contenders were the NCASE M1, Streamcom DA2, Sliger SM580, and the Ghost S1. But the last two aren't Mini-DTX compatible and I don't know if with the NCASE and the DA2 I will be able to cram it all inside. I have seen a lot of cool concepts as well here in the forum such as the CX2, FormD-P1, and so on but I do plan to build my rig by 2H 2020.

Anyways, I do appreciate a lot the help and have eyes wide open to everyone suggestions ?
Thanks!

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
You need to investigate the M1 more because if you use the side fan bracket to hold the 240mm rad, then the 1x3.5 HDD and x2 2.5 SSDs need to be placed elsewhere. But, luckily, there are many M1 users in this forum and they can surely give actual practical advice about this issue.

Tonyblu331

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 9, 2020
I will look more into it and hopefully, an M1 user will help with the config or have a similar one to what I am building.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
You don't have a good reason to go with the C8I versus a standard mITX board. The C8I is a benefit if you are doing LN2 overclocking or you absolutely positively need a Type-E USB-C motherboard header. Otherwise, the C8I is very very expensive and overkill. Even with a Ryzen 9 3950X, the VRM on the Asus ITX board is identical to the Impact.

If you save yourself money on the motherboard, you open up far most case options. You now get the option of sandwich cases, which I don't think any support DTX motherboards because of riser length issues. You could use the Sliger SV590 and go with dual AIOs (240 on CPU, 120 on GPU with a hybrid card) or go full custom loop. The SV590 can mount two 3.5" drives in the bottom and two 2.5" drives on the side bracket. You even get 3 slot GPU compatibility or Bifurcation support if you need an extra PCIe Card. Grab yourself something like this GPU and this CPU cooler and you're off to the races. Or go full custom loop but then you need a pump and a reservoir and you're already taking up a lot of space with hard drives.

vex_sb

Average Stuffer
May 11, 2018
I agree on 8 impact, definitely not needed, but as bitspower throw the monoblock out, i like it :D ... yes it does not offers nothing above strix and its bigger, no other x570 itx board have monoblock, so she is back in game in my book.
But on the other hand, in less than 6 months the game is all over again, new cpu's and new boards coming , i am waiting on new zen's and boards before i fork out $$

Reactions: Tonyblu331

Tonyblu331

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 9, 2020
I was considering the Sliger SV590, but after watching the Optimum Tech review they are many things that I disliked about it. Like the rough edges, no I/O unless I open the top panel, the case wiggling. So for the price of the SV590 I don't see it worth it.
I know there is a new-gen of GPUs, CPU and so coming soon, I was hoping to wait longer for them but my Haswell-E rig is on basically on its last days so I rather upgrade now and I can always upgrade down the road. Well, I consider more the Strix X570-I, but I wonder how do you guys troubleshoot your PC without a debug LED indicator (I have resolved many issues in my current rig because I was able to identify the issue quickly because of the debug led in my MOBO). Also one of the main reasons I was going with the Crosshair 8 Impact was that it is compatible with the der8auer RYZEN 3000 OC Bracket.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
I was considering the Sliger SV590, but after watching the Optimum Tech review they are many things that I disliked about it. Like the rough edges, no I/O unless I open the top panel, the case wiggling. So for the price of the SV590 I don't see it worth it.
I know there is a new-gen of GPUs, CPU and so coming soon, I was hoping to wait longer for them but my Haswell-E rig is on basically on its last days so I rather upgrade now and I can always upgrade down the road. Well, I consider more the Strix X570-I, but I wonder how do you guys troubleshoot your PC without a debug LED indicator (I have resolved many issues in my current rig because I was able to identify the issue quickly because of the debug led in my MOBO). Also one of the main reasons I was going with the Crosshair 8 Impact was that it is compatible with the der8auer RYZEN 3000 OC Bracket.
I wouldn't pay extra for that motherboard just for the OC bracket. That said, if you got money burning a hole in your pocket, why not.

I've never needed debug LEDs. I don't run into problems that often :) Also you can get a little PC Speaker to plug in to the header and beep codes usually work fine.

If the SV590 isn't your cup of tea, you could always do a Ghost S1 with double tophats, or do SM570/SM580 with an AIO on the CPU and then aircooled GPU.

Tonyblu331

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 9, 2020
Then I will probably stick with the Strix just to save some money and put it towards cooling.
So lucky of you that you haven't run into any problems ?.
I was looking more into the Ncase M1 but they don't ship to Canada so it would be extremely hard to get it here. The Ghost S1 could be a top option, just waiting for them to release their Mk III. Also, I have been waiting for the Lian Li O11D Mini isn't exactly SFF but is an ITX case, but that cubic shape I don't know if I will be able to fit inside a carry-on or Duffle Bag for me to take in an airplane.

Tonyblu331

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 9, 2020
That is good to know. Just read the manual and found they are 4 Color LEDs used for Debug. That is almost a must for someone as me ?

xninetynine

Cable Smoosher
Apr 11, 2017
I've had the M1 and it's the safest bet with all the hardware you're looking to port over. You wont' be disappointed either, it's well worth the money!

ghop

Trash Compacter
May 26, 2020
I'm gonna echo some of the above posts and give another vote to the Ncase M1. Also, in these SFF cases - I bet you will reach thermal limitations before you reach the motherboards limitation to overclock. ITX motherboards would be fine unless you are wanting the Type E header as stated by another user above.

Tonyblu331

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 9, 2020
I decided to go with the NCASE M1. Sorry for not updating the thread earlier. Eagerly waiting for it to arrive. I order it from the May 18th-22nd Batch, it should arrive in a week or two. Sadly on another hand, I can hardly find any stock for the Asus RoG STRIX X570-I in Canada.

Reactions: xninetynine

xninetynine

Cable Smoosher
Apr 11, 2017
Congratulations! I'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase, too bad we can't help with the parts sourcing. I think the virus just gave everyone a jump start on their new PC builds so everything is out of stock. Production should ramp up within the next few months though.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
I decided to go with the NCASE M1. Sorry for not updating the thread earlier. Eagerly waiting for it to arrive. I order it from the May 18th-22nd Batch, it should arrive in a week or two. Sadly on another hand, I can hardly find any stock for the Asus RoG STRIX X570-I in Canada.
Keep an eye out for the new B550 boards to go on sale next week. The new high-end B550 ITX boards are, without exception, better than their X570 predecessors. I wouldn't bother buying an X570 board at this point. Each of the new B550 ITX boards has some kind of advantage over the X570 versions, including things like Type-C USB support which will be useful for your NCase M1.

Reactions: Phuncz and rfarmer