Enclosure ITX: Silverstone or Lian Li?

InCase

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 11, 2017
Hi, I am planning a future build. I find it most difficult to choose between form factors - either itx or matx.

I am leaning towards itx for two main reasons - 1) more choices of cases - and keeping it small and 2) price - they're also cheaper, it seems.

Assuming I go itx, I think the Silverstone and Lian Li cases seem to be the best or good for price/size/features etc.

I'm concerned about cooling, though, as I notice almost everyone has this dilemma. Some of the cases have one fan, some have none. That is, if you keep it small.

Anyway, I have a suggested build (list):
Silverstone SG13B
or
Lian Li PC-Q01A
<$100

Corsair 16GB DDR4 CMK16GX4M2A2400C14R $150

Corsair SF450 or SF600 ($115 - $155)

Intel KabyLake G4600

Have/Own:

EVGA GTX 750

Want: relatively quiet/silent, decent/adequate cooling

Thoughts?

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I think considering your components, you won't have any issue with cooling in any Lian-Li or Silverstone case, so whichever you prefer should be great. I would not rule out mATX completely, because many ITX cases can be larger than mATX cases, so I'd suggest buying a case that you like the styling and size of the most.

For PSU, SF450 is more than enough power for what you have/need. I have the SF450 and it's a great and quiet power supply. I previously had an EVGA GTX 750 ti FTW and found it was the loudest component in my FT03 Mini case (included ST45SF-G which is quite a bit louder than the SF450) which included a Zalman CNPS2X cooler and Silverstone AP141 fan.

So as mentioned, cooling should be no problem with either case you have selected, pick the one you have preference of style. Also just a heads up, but both of those cases support full ATX power supplies so you don't need to limit yourself to the SFX sized ones. However if you use the Silverstone PP08-e adapter with an SFX power supply, you could get a few extra mm of CPU cooler clearance - but you could probably save yourself some cash with a $60-70 standard ATX power supply.

Reactions: cmyk78

mantide

Trash Compacter
Sep 17, 2016
Hi, I am planning a future build. I find it most difficult to choose between form factors - either itx or matx.

I am leaning towards itx for two main reasons - 1) more choices of cases - and keeping it small and 2) price - they're also cheaper, it seems.

Assuming I go itx, I think the Silverstone and Lian Li cases seem to be the best or good for price/size/features etc.

I'm concerned about cooling, though, as I notice almost everyone has this dilemma. Some of the cases have one fan, some have none. That is, if you keep it small.

Silverstone SG13B
or
Lian Li PC-Q01A
<$100

Intel KabyLake G4600

Have/Own:

EVGA GTX 750

Thoughts?
I vote SG13.
Reasons over Lianli: 1. It's neat. 2.It's smaller. 3.It's capacious. 4. Good ventilation.

But I think the your taste of aesthetics will be the final judge.

mantide

Trash Compacter
Sep 17, 2016

Silverstone SG13B
or
Lian Li PC-Q01A
<$100

Intel KabyLake G4600

Have/Own:

EVGA GTX 750

Thoughts?
Forgot to mention my SG13 build:
SG13
MSI B150 Gaming PRO AC
G4600
RX 480 Nitro+
SF450 + silverstone ATX to SFX Bracket + l9x65
(BEST CONVERSION BRACKET, HIGHLY RECOMMEND)
Gskill 8G*2 3200
ssd+hdd
TY-14013R 140mm fan

CPU temp for intel stock cooler: tops at 64C
for l9x65: I didn't pay attention. I believe it's very low.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
The Silverstone AR-06 is also a very good sub-60mm clearance cooler. I tested one on a G3258 and even at 4.6ghz it works very well. It's a bit cheaper than the Noctua L9x65 and almost as good.

InCase

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 11, 2017
Thanks for all the suggestions! :) I forgot to mention...my plan was to upgrade the cpu later. Do you guys ever upgrade parts in these itx builds? I figure it may be a hassle? Perhaps (or probably?), you have to remove *everything* and build it again? My plan would be to buy an i5 or i7? But, is an i5 a significant enough upgrade to make it worth it? The other thing I could do is forego the cheap, budget G4560/G4600 and go straight to an i5 and be done? The i5-7500 is a bit pricey but I have bought a quad-core processor for around the same money before - although, that was years ago. ;)

I tend not to buy new computers often and I want any subsequent purchase to be a laptop. :-)

Whatya think? Oh, my reasoning for SFX power supplies is an idea that it lets me go with any size... and also more room in the case to work with.....since it's not as long/deep? The i5 cpu is 65 watts vs 51(?) so only approx. 15 watts more so am I still okay in choosing any case with the i5 if I decide to save up another $160? :-)

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
A possible argument against using the SF450 in a SG13 is that many air-cooled builds in the SG13, SG05/06, etc. use the PSU oriented as an exhaust, and the SF450 fan reportedly doesn't spin at low power draw.