Cooling Looking for a CPU air cooler - vertical fins, AM4, ~80mm

myfirstpcyay

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 7, 2018
The world's my oyster and I'm changing my build again. I currently have the m9a cooler, but it sits at 125mm. My wraith spire is 70mm and I'm 75% probably going that path unless... you guys can help me with another cooler.

My next build is going to be setup like the Salvo Studios S402 (great case btw) - vertical gpu/mobo/bothfacingoutward with psu beside the mobo. I'm not prioritizing space as much as I'm just trying to get it sort of small while saving some space. Currently it nestle's quite well behind my monitor. Long term goal is to wall mount it. ANYWAYS. The bottom of the case will have 3xAF120mm fans (arranged 120x360mm) across blowing at full speed upwards. As such, the case depth at the bottom is ~120mm. I would LIKE to have the depth at the top of the case to be ~90mm or so.

I did have HALF a mind to get a shadowrock TF2 and remove the fan...netting me a pretty big heatsink that's 90mm tall. The bottom case fans would be the convection source for the heatsinks - hoping that's enough to provide adequate cooling. At the same time, I could just save money with my stock spire and shrink the top of the case down another 10mm.

All this to say, are there any other coolers available that are approximately 70-90mm tall that could help me reach my goal? I'm looking for vertical facing fins, so that my bottom case fans can serve double duty. This cooler will be used on my Ryzen 5 1600...and possibly at a later time a 3600 or 4600. In addition, my ram is 42mm tall (ripjaws). My mobo is the AB350 Fatal1ty itx. If the heatsink can overhang the i/o area instead of the ram, that'd be great as well. Thanks!

myfirstpcyay

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 7, 2018
Speaking of Cryorig being done...apparently the C1 is exactly what I'm looking for. Of...course. Now the search continues.

74mm tall. Clears 42mm ram. Nice heatsink weight where I COULD if I wanted to experiment with pseudo-passive setup.

Obakemono

Trash Compacter
Jan 20, 2019
The world's my oyster and I'm changing my build again. I currently have the m9a cooler, but it sits at 125mm. My wraith spire is 70mm and I'm 75% probably going that path unless... you guys can help me with another cooler.

My next build is going to be setup like the Salvo Studios S402 (great case btw) - vertical gpu/mobo/bothfacingoutward with psu beside the mobo. I'm not prioritizing space as much as I'm just trying to get it sort of small while saving some space. Currently it nestle's quite well behind my monitor. Long term goal is to wall mount it. ANYWAYS. The bottom of the case will have 3xAF120mm fans (arranged 120x360mm) across blowing at full speed upwards. As such, the case depth at the bottom is ~120mm. I would LIKE to have the depth at the top of the case to be ~90mm or so.

I did have HALF a mind to get a shadowrock TF2 and remove the fan...netting me a pretty big heatsink that's 90mm tall. The bottom case fans would be the convection source for the heatsinks - hoping that's enough to provide adequate cooling. At the same time, I could just save money with my stock spire and shrink the top of the case down another 10mm.

All this to say, are there any other coolers available that are approximately 70-90mm tall that could help me reach my goal? I'm looking for vertical facing fins, so that my bottom case fans can serve double duty. This cooler will be used on my Ryzen 5 1600...and possibly at a later time a 3600 or 4600. In addition, my ram is 42mm tall (ripjaws). My mobo is the AB350 Fatal1ty itx. If the heatsink can overhang the i/o area instead of the ram, that'd be great as well. Thanks!
https://www.newegg.com/arctic-cooling-alpine-am4-passive-acalp00022a/p/N82E16835186205

70mm tall and 90x90 square. The orientation can be rotated and it is a really nice chunk of cooler. I have one but have not yet used it.

O

Last edited:
Reactions: CountNoctua

myfirstpcyay

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 7, 2018
Well that just made things interesting. If I had no case fans, the 47W limit would be hit...but since I will have fans...this is 557g of heat sink. Interesting. Thankyou for that!

What are you planning on using yours for? (CPU)

Obakemono

Trash Compacter
Jan 20, 2019
Well that just made things interesting. If I had no case fans, the 47W limit would be hit...but since I will have fans...this is 557g of heat sink. Interesting. Thankyou for that!

What are you planning on using yours for? (CPU)
Not sure yet. My small computer I have has the 200GE (35w) in it right now so if I find a case that I could use it I'll test it. I was going to stuff it into the Antec ISK 300 but it was a bit too tall.

O

myfirstpcyay

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 7, 2018
Gotchas. Yeah, I managed to find a C1 - and it's on its way. Going to see if the bottom case fans are enough to cool it without the CPU fan being used much or at all. Might set the CPU fan to be at 0% up to 60C or something and have it ramp up to 100% by 80C. We'll see how it pans out.

If it looks good.......I MIGHT consider using that alpine cooler just because I think it looks awesome :D

Obakemono

Trash Compacter
Jan 20, 2019
Gotchas. Yeah, I managed to find a C1 - and it's on its way. Going to see if the bottom case fans are enough to cool it without the CPU fan being used much or at all. Might set the CPU fan to be at 0% up to 60C or something and have it ramp up to 100% by 80C. We'll see how it pans out.

If it looks good.......I MIGHT consider using that alpine cooler just because I think it looks awesome :D
It is a massive cooler, a finned brick of aluminum. It has 8 threaded holes in it as well so you can turn it to line it up with airflow. I'll try to dig it out and take a pic of it later.

O

myfirstpcyay

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 7, 2018
Indeed - I saw a few reviews on youtube. Looks fantastic.

The main question is that the heatsink is rated at ~35W no flow, and 47W with some* flow. It allegedly cools the 5 2400GE, but yeah, my case will specifically cause air to go through the heat sink area so it might be doable. Here's to hoping. Thankfully it's ~$12 on amazon.

I'll sell the C1 if the preliminary tests are good. Granted, I'd like to upgrade to a 3600, 4600, or 5600 at some point, so maybe I'll keep it anyways.