List of Mini-ITX/DTX motherboards with a Key A header (for front panel USB C)

jcadduono

Efficiency Noob
Oct 13, 2019
Unfortunately despite my board (Crosshair VIII Impact) having a USB 3.1 Gen 2 header, I was unable to use the NCase provided USB-C front IO because the cable was much too thick to route to the USB header. I can plug it in, but the cable stress just causes it to pop out immediately. After so many attempts, I eventually ended up just breaking the connector on the NCase cable, and fortunately not on the motherboard header. (the plastic T end broke off from too much cable stress on the header)
I have a feeling we're going to need front panel IO replacement kits with more pliable/thinner (and shorter!!!) wires...
and maybe a variant where the wires go upwards and not directly into the gpu/fans.

Hixbot

Cable Smoosher
Aug 20, 2019
Aaaand yes! The USB3 header to USB-C works like a charm (10Gbit/s for my USB-C port!).

Instead of rerouting 2x USB3 ports from the back of the mobo, I decided to use a USB2 header -> USB3 header adapter. Basically I downgraded the frontal ports to USB2, but it's not a problem because I use them for my fingerprint reader and the Logitech Unifying receiver.

I also tested the 2x USB3 Type A to 19-pin USB header, and it works as expected.

I was thinking of combining a 20 pin y cable with the A-key adapter to have USB3 on all front ports.

Batman

Cable Smoosher
Oct 13, 2019
I was thinking of combining a 20 pin y cable with the A-key adapter to have USB3 on all front ports.

Have you seen any adapters from 20 Pin to another 20 Pin and Type-E?
If I connect such an adapter to my motherboard, then two other USB ports would flow into the Ncase M1, because now they are connected to my 20 Pin on the motherboard.

dblgnet

Efficiency Noob
Sep 5, 2019
Unfortunately despite my board (Crosshair VIII Impact) having a USB 3.1 Gen 2 header, I was unable to use the NCase provided USB-C front IO because the cable was much too thick to route to the USB header. I can plug it in, but the cable stress just causes it to pop out immediately. After so many attempts, I eventually ended up just breaking the connector on the NCase cable, and fortunately not on the motherboard header. (the plastic T end broke off from too much cable stress on the header)
I have a feeling we're going to need front panel IO replacement kits with more pliable/thinner (and shorter!!!) wires...
and maybe a variant where the wires go upwards and not directly into the gpu/fans.

Is the connector angled? Can you post any pictures of what it's like when you try and connect it?

Larryadd

Minimal Tinkerer
Oct 15, 2019
Hi,
is there new information about the V6 USB-C/combo jack from I/O panel kit compatible with V5 ? ETA? Price ?
Thanks

asava

Caliper Novice
Jun 6, 2019
Would there be any difference bitween:

and this one:

thanks
The black one comes from many sources (CY is one of them), but all seem to be identical and use a USB Type-c switch: the ElronTech EJ179V. Blue variants are currently available from two brands: SilverStone C14 and the InLine you mentioned. They are not identical, but both do not use a USB Switch.
Theoretically, the use of the switch is a good idea, but the EJ179V is a terrible chip, heats up very quickly, and it will simply fry when a larger current passes through. So there are rather high chances it won't live long, unless you use only low power devices.
The Silverstone works well, judging on my personal experience with it.
With the InLine I have no experience, all I can comment about it is that it seems a simpler PCB design than the Silverstone (which doesn't use any capacitors), and that it doesn't use any chip.

Last edited:

littlefatwolf

Case Bender
New User
Aug 26, 2019
For the motherboard has one 19-pin USB 3.0 and one 9-pin USB 2.0, e.g. MSI and Asus B450-I, Asus X470-I/X570-I, the best solution might be:

1. Connect front type-c to internal 19-pin, use 19-pin to 20-pin adapter.
2. Connect (downgrade) front type-a to internal 9-pin, use 9-pin to 19-pin adapter.

The only drawback is 2 type-a is downgraded to USB 2.0.

Reactions: mika

bleed

Chassis Packer
Feb 23, 2019
www.artbleed.com
Hey everyone! Ive been reading this tread, but wanted to be 100% sure before i make a purchase -

Im currently deciding between the ASUS ROG Strix X570-I and ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Impact.

If I buy the X570-I, that means i wont be able to use the front USB-C for the Ncase v6.1 correct? (without mods etc)

Thanks!!

lordzorg

Trash Compacter
Oct 27, 2019
So, a 203mmx170mm Mini-DTX board leaves 23.5mm to the bottom of the case. That means there's a 1.5mm vertical overlap with a 25mm thick fan.

Horizontally, from the motherboard PCB to the frame of a 120mm fan, there's 5mm of clearance. So if there are no components on the motherboard that are over 5mm tall in that last 1.5mm of the board, you're good. If not, then yes, slim fans become your only option.
That 5mm clearance - is that with the fans in the center of the case? If so, what about the following, could that possibly work? Something like this Imgur ? Thanks :)

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Hey everyone! Ive been reading this tread, but wanted to be 100% sure before i make a purchase -

Im currently deciding between the ASUS ROG Strix X570-I and ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Impact.

If I buy the X570-I, that means i wont be able to use the front USB-C for the Ncase v6.1 correct? (without mods etc)

Thanks!!
Correct.

Reactions: bleed

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
That 5mm clearance - is that with the fans in the center of the case? If so, what about the following, could that possibly work? Something like this Imgur ? Thanks :)
Yes, that's with fans in the center. To be clear, 120mm fans mount to the inside set of slots; the outer slots are spaced for 140mm fans. If you offset the fans, they will no longer reach the slots on one side.

Reactions: lordzorg

lordzorg

Trash Compacter
Oct 27, 2019
Yes, that's with fans in the center. To be clear, 120mm fans mount to the inside set of slots; the outer slots are spaced for 140mm fans. If you offset the fans, they will no longer reach the slots on one side.
very good to know thank you. so it's either impact + dremel or the strix ...

Plaklijm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019
its such a shame to see that in this era where usb c is becomming the standerd, none of the mini itx boards of the newest AM4 have any 20 pin connector where as z390/70 already had a 20 pin while it released earlier

lordzorg

Trash Compacter
Oct 27, 2019
Coming from an ASUS Maximus VII Impact (Z97), I am a little disappointed with both the ROG Strix X570-I Gaming as well as the ROG Crosshair VIII Impact.
The Strix has no USB-C header, 4x USB 3.2 Gen 1 headers although ASUS could easily have made two of them or even all four of them Gen2, in 2019 a jumper to flash CMOS (the late 1990s send their regards), no TPM header.
The CH8 Impact is DTX, which imo is a little lazy. The DTX part of the board is occupied by the sound card... and extreme OC stuff, and despite DTX, the CH8 Impact still has no TMP header.
I am sure ASUS could have managed to create an ITX board with USB C header, the ROG panel at the back and TPM header, minus the LN2 stuff and other <1% things. I guess RGB is more important than USB C or a TMP header these days. Pretty sad.

Reactions: Plaklijm

Plaklijm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019
Coming from an ASUS Maximus VII Impact (Z97), I am a little disappointed with both the ROG Strix X570-I Gaming as well as the ROG Crosshair VIII Impact.
The Strix has no USB-C header, 4x USB 3.2 Gen 1 headers although ASUS could easily have made two of them or even all four of them Gen2, in 2019 a jumper to flash CMOS (the late 1990s send their regards), no TPM header.
The CH8 Impact is DTX, which imo is a little lazy. The DTX part of the board is occupied by the sound card... and extreme OC stuff, and despite DTX, the CH8 Impact still has no TMP header.
I am sure ASUS could have managed to create an ITX board with USB C header, the ROG panel at the back and TPM header, minus the LN2 stuff and other <1% things. I guess RGB is more important than USB C or a TMP header these days. Pretty sad.
Im not that big a fan of RGB, the companys are going crazy, and sometimes i think that they think that RGB is more important than some of basic features. I have the ryzen 7 3700x, but im not going to pay more for my motherboard than for my CPU. Also if i had the kind of money for the DTX board, i would have bought the 3900x or the 3950x otherwise it isnt owrth it at all for one stupid little connector

lordzorg

Trash Compacter
Oct 27, 2019
I don't mind RGB honestly, I like the red slow breathing effect personally, but RGB vs IMO essential features like USB C header or TPM header, RGB is clearly not necessary. I ordered the Impact for the ROG panel at the back, but I really hate that it is DTX. Maybe should have gone with the Strix and deal with the jumper. I rather don't have that fancy soundcard but I guess many would disagree. Why not leave all that LN2 stuff to ATX boards and just create the best ITX board for the 99%...

Plaklijm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019
I don't mind RGB honestly, I like the red slow breathing effect personally, but RGB vs IMO essential features like USB C header or TPM header, RGB is clearly not necessary. I ordered the Impact for the ROG panel at the back, but I really hate that it is DTX. Maybe should have gone with the Strix and deal with the jumper. I rather don't have that fancy soundcard but I guess many would disagree. Why not leave all that LN2 stuff to ATX boards and just create the best ITX board for the 99%...
RGB is personal prefrence indeed. i personally dont see the point in a case like the ncase where evrething is blocked off but i can see why people like it, becasue i need to admit it, some RGB setups look amazing. but yeah, please companys, AMD is blowing up, so put some usb c connectors on the new motherboards next year, becasue now only intel has them on itx boards. Like is there a reason why they dont add them?

lordzorg

Trash Compacter
Oct 27, 2019
RGB is personal prefrence indeed. i personally dont see the point in a case like the ncase where evrething is blocked off but i can see why people like it, becasue i need to admit it, some RGB setups look amazing. but yeah, please companys, AMD is blowing up, so put some usb c connectors on the new motherboards next year, becasue now only intel has them on itx boards. Like is there a reason why they dont add them?
Fully agree. Once I get the M1 v6.1 I will use the DTX board, 3950x, and my old Kraken X52. If and when a tempered glass panel becomes available that I like, I will see if I can do a custom loop with the DTX board, otherwise I will swap it for an ITX board in the M1 v6.1. I was honestly considering the Sliger SM570/SM580, but I don't like having my case on the left, also they are considerably larger than the M1, and a custom loop in the M1 will show all components from one side versus sandwich designs like the Sliger or Dan A4 or Ghost S1 (dislike that tophat - gap, looks unclean imo). I know I'm whining on a very high level, but yh ...