List of Mini-ITX/DTX motherboards with a Key A header (for front panel USB C)

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
What we've typically done is I hand the complete Sketchup file off to wahaha360, who rebuilds it in Solidworks (he has a license and I can't stand using it anyway). Then he sends the CAD to LL in .step and .dwgs generated from the model. They work with .dwgs internally, so I also edit those when something needs tweaking, as there's less chance they'll miss something that way.

Alright, that makes perfect sense. Thanks so much for tolerating my endless questioning!

Warside

Trash Compacter
Sep 2, 2019
There are two cables from the case for USB-C and USB Type-A respectively:
1. USB-C Type-E cable: With the 20 pins adapter for USB-E, it will take up the onboard 02x USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports, converting it to USB Type-E for the USB-C port to work.
2. USB 3.2 Gen 1: Then the 02x USB 3.2 Gen 1 on the case does not have an on board header to plug into.

We are still finding affordable solution to make both work

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-I-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10
USB
Integrated in the CPU:
  1. 4 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports on the back panel
Integrated in the Chipset:
  1. 1 x USB Type-C™ port on the back panel, with USB 3.2 Gen 2 support
  2. 1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A ports (red) on the back panel
  3. 2 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports available through the internal USB header
  4. 2 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports available through the internal USB header

D'oh, I thought the case has 1x USB type c and 2x USB 2.0.

I may use that cablecc adaper (usb3 gen2 -> Usb C type E) + a USB2.0 header to USB3 header adapter ( ~$8 ). The drawback is the downgrade of the frontal Type A ports to USB 2.0.

zooroo

Chassis Packer
Jun 7, 2019
HI, yes it's official but I think you can't have one now because no stock at this time. I've been lucky to have one.
I think lucky is an understatement. Thanks for posting your images. I will have to keep checking this site for their restock.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
D'oh, I thought the case has 1x USB type c and 2x USB 2.0.
It does.

The M1 V6 front I/O has the following:
  • 1x Type C -> 20 pin Type E header
  • 2x Type A -> 19 pin USB header
  • Mic/headphone combo jack -> HDaudio header
So to use both the Type C and Type A you'll need a motherboard with both a Type E and 19 pin header. If the board lacks a Type E, you won't be able to use the Type C, unless using an adapter on the 19 pin. However, that header is needed for the two Type A ports, so if the board lacks two headers (either Type E + 19 pin, or two 19 pin), you won't be able to use both sets of ports.

Warside

Trash Compacter
Sep 2, 2019
It does.

The M1 V6 front I/O has the following:
  • 1x Type C -> 20 pin Type E header
  • 2x Type A -> 19 pin USB header
  • Mic/headphone combo jack -> HDaudio header
So to use both the Type C and Type A you'll need a motherboard with both a Type E and 19 pin header. If the board lacks a Type E, you won't be able to use the Type C, unless using an adapter on the 19 pin. However, that header is needed for the two Type A ports, so if the board lacks two headers (either Type E + 19 pin, or two 19 pin), you won't be able to use both sets of ports.

It's a shame that the new type-e header is not available on $200+ MoBo.

So, I think the cheaper and most flexible option is a M.2 NVME -> PCI EX 4x riser card (e.g. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000105187896.html ) + a standard pci ex card with USB Type-E (eg. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33041188233.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.23013c009AuB3m&mp=1 ).

Thanks to the riser card, I should be able to use the M.2 slot on the back of the Gigabyte card.

Shadowbear225

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 20, 2019
A couple more ideas for going without the Type E motherboard header.

Internal 2.0 to internal 3.0 adapters exist (ex. SIENOC USB 3.0 20 Pin Male to Female USB 2.0 9 Pin Motherboard) this gives two possibilities
- using the internal 3.0 header for the Type A front ports. The 2.0 -> 3.0 adapter and a 3.0 -> Type E for the front C port. I don't know if double adapters is a bad idea.
- using the internal 3.0 header and a 3.0 -> Type E for the front C port. The 2.0 -> 3.0 adapter for the Type A front ports.

Additionally, external 3.0 to internal 3.0 headers exist (ex. RAYSUN Dual 2 Port USB 3.0 A Type Male to 20Pin Header)
- The options are the same just swapping out the 2.0 header for rear 3.0 ports.
- The cable can pass through the grommets on the back of the case
- This has the benefit of not using the internal 2.0 header that some AIO's use. While also keeping the front ports at full speed through using some of your backports.

Anyone see any problems with these ideas?

edit. For some reason, the Amazon links I was trying to insert are trying to be displayed as images?

Last edited:

Warside

Trash Compacter
Sep 2, 2019
A couple more ideas for going without the Type E motherboard header.

Internal 2.0 to internal 3.0 adapters exist (ex. SIENOC USB 3.0 20 Pin Male to Female USB 2.0 9 Pin Motherboard) this gives two possibilities
- using the internal 3.0 header for the Type A front ports. The 2.0 -> 3.0 adapter and a 3.0 -> Type E for the front C port. I don't know if double adapters is a bad idea.
- using the internal 3.0 header and a 3.0 -> Type E for the front C port. The 2.0 -> 3.0 adapter for the Type A front ports.

I wrote the same thing on page 4. It's 100% possible :)
The idea of re-routing 2 USB 3 ports inside is not bad at all!

I was exploring the NVME M.2 to PCI EX 4X riser card + PCI-E CARD WITH USB TYPE-E header to use the 2nd slot of my gigabyte x570, but it's not possible. There's not enough space to bend the pci-e cable to have the PCI-EX slot under the PSU

dblgnet

Efficiency Noob
Sep 5, 2019
FYI the Crosshair Impact manual is on the ASUS site now & it lists that the front panel audio connector is on/part of the audio card, so if you were counting on removing the card you won't have any front panel audio.

Hohyss

Caliper Novice
Aug 17, 2019
FYI the Crosshair Impact manual is on the ASUS site now & it lists that the front panel audio connector is on/part of the audio card, so if you were counting on removing the card you won't have any front panel audio.

USB headphone for me and DAC.

r4dius

What's an ITX?
Sep 6, 2019

So, I think the cheaper and most flexible option is a M.2 NVME -> PCI EX 4x riser card (e.g. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000105187896.html ) + a standard pci ex card with USB Type-E (eg. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33041188233.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.23013c009AuB3m&mp=1 ).

Thanks to the riser card, I should be able to use the M.2 slot on the back of the Gigabyte card.
Definitely looking forward to this method, any idea what riser size would do ?, I suppose rear m2 port position is standard among all board (?)

Dries

Caliper Novice
Aug 3, 2019

What USB port would you then need on the pci card? Cause the one on top will be blocked by the gpu not? Or is the red one the good one?

Midium

Cable Smoosher
Aug 22, 2019
When you use 2 USB 3.0 Ports from the back of the mainboard and combine them into one 19 pin USB 3.0 internal header and use this for the USB-C of the front I/O, does the operating system handles the datastream over 2 ports from one connected device? As most AM4 ITX Boards do not have enough internal headers for connecting all three front USB ports.

Warside

Trash Compacter
Sep 2, 2019
Definitely looking forward to this method, any idea what riser size would do ?, I suppose rear m2 port position is standard among all board (?)

I wanted to use the M.2 slot on the back of my Gigabyte aorus x570, but it's not possible. There's not enough clearance between the mobo and the case panel to be able bend the M.2 -> PCI EX riser cable and then position the PCI-EX header close to the PSU.

IMG here: https://ibb.co/hc4FCsX

If you have a MoBo with an M.2 slot on the front, then you can sacrifice it and use the riser card.

What USB port would you then need on the pci card? Cause the one on top will be blocked by the gpu not? Or is the red one the good one?

You need the black one on top right.
I didn't want to mount the card under the GPU. My idea was to remove the pci bracket from the card and fix it somewhere in the case.

I think I will use the USB 19PIN -> USB TYPE-E adapter and then I'll re-route 2 USB 3 ports from the back I/O shield.

I received the USB TYPE-E adapter today. It's really tiny ( https://ibb.co/njkJ7yv ).

Warside

Trash Compacter
Sep 2, 2019
When you use 2 USB 3.0 Ports from the back of the mainboard and combine them into one 19 pin USB 3.0 internal header and use this for the USB-C of the front I/O, does the operating system handles the datastream over 2 ports from one connected device? As most AM4 ITX Boards do not have enough internal headers for connecting all three front USB ports.

I think it's better to use the native 19-PIN header on the Mobo for the USB-C and then re-route 2 external USB3 ports to connect them with the front ones.

According to the description of the adapter I bought, you will get a 10Gb/s USB-C Port (specs here: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P99532V )

The small converter is plugged into a USB 3.0 header that provides two USB 3.0 lanes. Thus, two data lines with 5 Gbps each are available, which are bundled into a USB 3.1 header with 10 Gbit / s. The converter thus provides a full-fledged USB 3.1 port.

Amonchakai

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2019
When I see your adapter, I am bit puzzled. You would really give up on the type-A ports for one type-C?

I will go with Intel, so I won't have this problem. But I would definitely go with giving up on the type-C.
It is nice, but I have nothing meaningful to connect it to. I have dongles / adapters for my MacBook Pro but there is no need for that on a desktop PC.
Plus you are likely to have type-C ports on the back if you really need to have one.

It is nice it is on the M1; it will get useful in a couple of years. But for now, I could live without it / front type-C.

Last edited:

Warside

Trash Compacter
Sep 2, 2019
When I see your adapter, I am bit puzzled. You would really give up on the type-A ports for one type-C?

I will go with Intel, so I won't have this problem. But I would definitely go with giving up on the type-C.
It is nice, but I have nothing meaningful to connect it to. I have dongles / adapters for my MacBook Pro but there is no need for that on a desktop PC.
Plus you are likely to have type-C ports on the back if you really need to have one.

It is nice it is on the M1; it will get useful in a couple of years. But for now, I could live without it / front type-C.

I moved almost all my devices to USB-C since I bought my macbook pro. Having 2 USB-C ports (1 front, 1 back) is mandatory.

I will never use 5 USB Type A ports on the back of my mobo. Re-routing 2 USB ports on the front is not a problem for me. :)

ps -ef

Caliper Novice
Jul 25, 2019
I moved almost all my devices to USB-C since I bought my macbook pro. Having 2 USB-C ports (1 front, 1 back) is mandatory.

I will never use 5 USB Type A ports on the back of my mobo. Re-routing 2 USB ports on the front is not a problem for me.

Do you know where to look for cable which can be used to re-route the USB ports from the back to 19 pins?

osin17

Caliper Novice
Sep 10, 2019
Hello,
A new mini itx motherboard has just been announced.
The Asus X570 I come with an usb 3.2 connection.

Do you think it will work with usb c header front panel? (like the Dan A4-SFX) ?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Hello,
A new mini itx motherboard has just been announced.
The Asus X570 I come with an usb 3.2 connection.

Do you think it will work with usb c header front panel? (like the Dan A4-SFX) ?
That just has a 19 pin header. You need both the 19 pin and 20 pin Type E if you want to use both the USB Type A and USB C front ports.

Don't get confused by the USB 3.2 naming; USB 3.0 has been retroactively renamed "USB 3.2 Gen 1," so all those old headers are now technically "USB 3.2" and neither "USB 3.0" nor "USB 3.1" exist any longer.