List of Mini-ITX/DTX motherboards with a Key A header (for front panel USB C)

SpencerUk

Average Stuffer
Jun 3, 2018
That’s in GBP. But once shipping gets added it is about 90$ USD to get it in the US. Oof.

Just took a couple of mins to find out why I'm seeing it in Euro....VPN lol.

I guess we could all hope that there's a board with 2 USB 3.0 headers and get an adapter that way?

Kaiede

Chassis Packer
Jul 16, 2019
Just took a couple of mins to find out why I'm seeing it in Euro....VPN lol.

I guess we could all hope that there's a board with 2 USB 3.0 headers and get an adapter that way?

I was quoted 62 Euro (52 w/o VAT) from the same site, and if follow your link, it’s quoted in GBP. Not sure what’s up with that. Site bug?

i think if we do see boards with two headers, one will be type-E... ?‍♀️

Another board to add @Necere is the EVGA H370 Stinger, although probably won't see many in the Ncase.

I only see the older USB 3.0 header, not the newer type-E/3.1 Gen 2 header. Is it just super hidden? (edit: yeah I see it. Lower left)

SpencerUk

Average Stuffer
Jun 3, 2018
Wild stab here, but could we not use a usb header doubler and then get one of these??
EDIT: Nope..Well not without losing the USB ports anyway

Last edited:

Kaiede

Chassis Packer
Jul 16, 2019
Wild stab here, but could we not use a usb header doubler and then get one of these??
EDIT: Nope..Well not without losing the USB ports anyway

Yeah, that is the sort of adapter needed. You do hit on a way to get all three ports working this way though: internal USB hub. The downside there is you lose throughput by sharing two SS channels across 3 physical ports. And the only USB3 hub I see that can do this is a big one, so space could be an issue in the M1.

Nothing supports USB 3.2 yet, does it? That would add another wrinkle, since it would mean that a USB-C port would want both SS channels on the header to itself for the fastest speeds.

ps -ef

Caliper Novice
Jul 25, 2019
Yeah, that is the sort of adapter needed. You do hit on a way to get all three ports working this way though: internal USB hub. The downside there is you lose throughput by sharing two SS channels across 3 physical ports. And the only USB3 hub I see that can do this is a big one, so space could be an issue in the M1.

Nothing supports USB 3.2 yet, does it? That would add another wrinkle, since it would mean that a USB-C port would want both SS channels on the header to itself for the fastest speeds.

It is better to have the port working, than it being useless ?
If there is a 19pin USB 3.0 (02x USB 3.0) header on motherboard, any solution to dedicate one for USB-C, and for the two USB 3.0 port to share one USB3.0 connection?

Sdlazyboy

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 14, 2019
Hi everyone this is going to be ugly but if you don’t have a open m.2 or just don’t want to pay $90 for the Delock adapter.
1-Sabrent m.2 SSD to 2.5 SATA lll adapter (EC-M2SA) Or QNINE M.2 to SATA Adapter Card
2-Almencla NGFF M.2 to Dual USB3.0 19-pin Card
3-Lian-Li PW-INC1TR USB3.0 to USB3.1 Converter
everything should only be $42 plus tax. The lian li converter link has no Specifications on the site just google PW-INC1TR for a description. That site had the best price that’s why I used it. Will this work what you all think.

ExplodingWaffle101

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 11, 2018
Hi everyone this is going to be ugly but if you don’t have a open m.2 or just don’t want to pay $90 for the Delock adapter.
1-Sabrent m.2 SSD to 2.5 SATA lll adapter (EC-M2SA) Or QNINE M.2 to SATA Adapter Card
2-Almencla NGFF M.2 to Dual USB3.0 19-pin Card
3-Lian-Li PW-INC1TR USB3.0 to USB3.1 Converter
everything should only be $42 plus tax. The lian li converter link has no Specifications on the site just google PW-INC1TR for a description. That site had the best price that’s why I used it. Will this work what you all think.
im 99% sure this wont work: that sata module gives sata m.2 instead of the pcie the usb card needs.

ps -ef

Caliper Novice
Jul 25, 2019
The Lian Li solution likely need to use two USB 3.0 ports from the back, pull the cable back into the case, then connect to the pw-inc1tr, then to the type-e male connector to enable the USB-c at the front.

The on board 19 pins would be used to connect to the two USB 3.0 to the front.

It seems this way will work...

HansWursT619

Trash Compacter
Feb 22, 2016
Another option from Silverstone :

Reactions: MrFlamey

MrFlamey

Cable Smoosher
Aug 18, 2019
Another option from Silverstone :

I'm in the M1 + AM4 boat, waiting for the case to arrive and will then probably buy all the parts I need, but the lack of ITX boards with the 20 pin connector is annoying. This looks by far the best option so far. Do all the front panel USB ports connect through this, or is it just for the type-C?

Once people have verified working adaptors, it would be good to add them to the bottom of the first post as an alternative solution to getting a mobo with a 20-pin header perhaps? Especially now there are so few ITX x570 boards (currently 2 on sale afaik), the existence of the header is not likely to be a deciding factor for most people and it's great to know there is another way.

Maybe you could sell the best adaptor through SFFLabs ;-)

Kaiede

Chassis Packer
Jul 16, 2019
The Type-E is only for the USB-C port. The other two ports would connect to the existing 19-pin header like usual.

Each header has 2 channels. Each type A port needs one channel. Type C ports can use one or two channels, but USB 3.2 is needed for both channels on Type C to work at the same time.

Shadowbear225

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 20, 2019
For ASUS Crosshair VIII Impact will you still be able to install 2x120mm fans under the GPU, will that daughter board at the bottom block the fans?

A question for anyone with 120mm fans in their case, how close are the fans to the motherboard side of the case?

eatbeme

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 23, 2019
For ASUS Crosshair VIII Impact will you still be able to install 2x120mm fans under the GPU, will that daughter board at the bottom block the fans?

A question for anyone with 120mm fans in their case, how close are the fans to the motherboard side of the case?

Please see my question answered earlier in the thread:

So, a 203mmx170mm Mini-DTX board leaves 23.5mm to the bottom of the case. That means there's a 1.5mm vertical overlap with a 25mm thick fan.

Horizontally, from the motherboard PCB to the frame of a 120mm fan, there's 5mm of clearance. So if there are no components on the motherboard that are over 5mm tall in that last 1.5mm of the board, you're good. If not, then yes, slim fans become your only option.

Shadowbear225

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 20, 2019
Sorry I missed that while reading through the thread, thanks for pointing that out.

That daughter board looks a lot more than 5mm tall ( PCBs are ~1.6mm thick and that board looks greater than 4 PCBs tall).

So looks like GPU cooling will be a slim 120mm in the back and a normal 120 in the front.