Linus - Ultimate Compact Titan XP Gaming PC 3 Discussion

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Original poster
Aug 5, 2017

Tearing my hair out watching them cram everything in front of the radiator. I generally like their build videos and this was still entertaining but seriously that setup is very far from elegant. I can't believe they didn't consider an external brick or even undervolting.

I give them the benefit of the doubt that they wanted to use an SFX so the viewer base could go out and buy the parts from Amazon or some other retailer but I can't imagine how many would want to attempt this after seeing that terrible configuration. On the other hand I doubt many viewers can afford a 7980XE & Titan XP ITX build either :p

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
They're building the case out in the obvious way as well as the way @dondan intended it. Most people have no idea that AC-DC to DC-DC power supplies even exist and even if they do, the case isn't meant to implement them. Can't really fault Linus and crew on this one IMHO.

I've just gotta say that they've managed perfect timing with this video on the DAN A4 SFX release on SFFLab.com

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Original poster
Aug 5, 2017
They're building the case out in the obvious way as well as the way @dondan intended it. Most people have no idea that AC-DC to DC-DC power supplies even exist and even if they do, the case isn't meant to implement them. Can't really fault Linus and crew on this one IMHO.

I've just gotta say that they've managed perfect timing with this video on the DAN A4 SFX release on SFFLab.com

I understand why they wouldn't do the external brick but even then they didn't attempt an undervolt which is insane to me considering they went through the trouble of delidding it. They were also already using der8auer's delidding tool, they could have picked up the direct die frame to use with it.

I don't think you can argue that this could have been showcased better without the use of an AIO, leave that to the hardcore builders. Would have been nice to see them try a bit harder to make an air cooler work instead of the travesty they ended up with, they gave up too early and went with a way that was far less flattering in the end.

On a side note someone should make a 3D printable plug for the empty usb port.

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
It certainly isn't news that Linus baboons his way through builds like this.

Reactions: rcodi

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
Linus always crams hardware in a system that is completely over the top and only someone with a lot of money to burn could build.

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
Linus always crams hardware in a system that is completely over the top and only someone with a lot of money to burn could build.
Well yeah, that's the whole point! You could find builds with average to above average hardware with a simple google search. They run a Youtube channel, so they need to get views somehow!

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
Well yeah, that's the whole point! You could find builds with average to above average hardware with a simple google search. They run a Youtube channel, so they need to get views somehow!
Is it though? Why should I watch something for shits and giggles where it serves no purpose other than to impress and does not help me in the slightest if I want to build something using parts for a particular purpose.

Reactions: Phuncz

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Is it though? Why should I watch something for shits and giggles where it serves no purpose other than to impress and does not help me in the slightest if I want to build something using parts for a particular purpose.
1. Entertainment, imo LTT is first and foremoast geek entertainment. The days of detailed build guids, in depth reviews and comprehensive tutorials and whatnot are long since over for them, there arent enough views there.
2. because you cant build it, this is your oppertunity to see what can be done, what is possible, what you could do but cant because your not running a YT channel w/ 5 million subscribers, your not getting free $10,000 CPU's from Intel and the tech sector in general arent touching themselves inapropriatly every time you so much as mention their brand in a video, etc. Its a demonstration of what is possible, nothing more, nothing less.

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
1. Entertainment, imo LTT is first and foremoast geek entertainment. The days of detailed build guids, in depth reviews and comprehensive tutorials and whatnot are long since over for them, there arent enough views there.
2. because you cant build it, this is your oppertunity to see what can be done, what is possible, what you could do but cant because your not running a YT channel w/ 5 million subscribers, your not getting free $10,000 CPU's from Intel and the tech sector in general arent touching themselves inapropriatly every time you so much as mention their brand in a video, etc. Its a demonstration of what is possible, nothing more, nothing less.

Agreed. This is entertaining to many. There are also quite a few small channels that do in depth builds; just have to do some digging around for them. Doesn't Linus put out a video (sometimes two) a day?

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Doesn't Linus put out a video (sometimes two) a day?
They have been pretty clean on WAN show (imo some of their best work is WAN show) that their goal is a video a day where possible, mostly to try stay in favor w/ youtubes black box algorythm iirc

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016

Why does it not help you? Not specific to this video, but if someone shows you what high end components you can fit in a small case AND shares the kind of performance/thermals they get with these high TDP parts, it gives you an idea of what would work in that case.

What's your particular purpose and parts for the A4?

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016

It helps if you email Linus directly before he makes a video so he can tailor content for you. I know it really hits him in the feels when his videos aren't helpful to the random entitled of the world.

There's also a feature in the YouTube user interface called unsubscribe. I've included a YouTube link so that there is no confusion as to how it is used.

I would suggest subscribing to the video at the start and then unsubscribing at the end to make sure you've learned the pertinent information.

As a follow up, I would like to make you aware that without your subscription Linus' viewership will drop. As his income is tied to his subscribership directly, he may encounter hardship if you do choose to unsubscribe. Please think of his children before you do anything rash.

Thank you,

KMPKT

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
It helps if you email Linus directly before he makes a video so he can tailor content for you. I know it really hits him in the feels when his videos aren't helpful to the random entitled of the world.

There's also a feature in the YouTube user interface called unsubscribe. I've included a YouTube link so that there is no confusion as to how it is used.

I would suggest subscribing to the video at the start and then unsubscribing at the end to make sure you've learned the pertinent information.

As a follow up, I would like to make you aware that without your subscription Linus' viewership will drop. As his income is tied to his subscribership directly, he may encounter hardship if you do choose to unsubscribe. Please think of his children before you do anything rash.

Thank you,

KMPKT

Woah, @Kmpkt No one ever said that I needed him to tailor content for me, nor did I say that all his videos are essentially worthless(because if you unsubscribe to something, to me, you are saying its not worth your time to watch that content). I will admit that I do enjoy seeing high spec parts crammed into a small form factor. The comment I made is not bashing his videos, but rather his methodology. I could go on about some of the part choices in some of his videos are illogical and completely unnecessary, but I won't do that.

I think you went a little overboard on a response to my comment and maybe got a little butthurt, but thats okay. This is the internet. I have my opinion and you have yours. I will continue to watch his videos, and you can too. Lets all get along, okay?

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Sorry if I overreacted and it would appear that I took your comment out of context. The way your comment reads infers a certain sense of entitlement that Linus' content should better match your own personal idea of being "useful" rather than simply entertaining. Having read your subsequent comment, it would appear that was not the intent and so please accept my apology.

Why should I watch something for shits and giggles where it serves no purpose other than to impress and does not help me in the slightest if I want to build something using parts for a particular purpose.

As a general rule, entitled behaviour both in real life or on the internet is kind of my red button. As such, my first reaction is typically to call the offending party out. It's a knee jerk reaction and I am generally a pretty big asshole when it comes to this. Again, sorry about that XD