Long Term Project: NES PC Re-Build

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 8, 2018
Good Afternoon Gents. A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away... actually it was here, never mind. Anyway, I built a PC inside of an old NES (it was dead, don't worry) sometime around 2011. ITX being what it was back then, it was a Zotac Intel Atom embedded solution, which was fine for emulation and web-browsing, but HD content was, well, hit or miss. Anyway, here are some old, low-fi shots of the PC when it was first built.
It was serviceable but I was never 100% happy with the performance, or the quality of the work I did, especially inside the case. I did have 4 GB of RAM, a 250GB 2.5" HDD, and I made the front ports usable for NES controllers on the PC using a USB adapter and USB header stuffed inside the case. I also converted the Power and Reset buttons to work with the PC as well as the power on light. It was a fun little project despite it's shortcomings, but with the advancement of technology comes the desire to (eventually) upgrade the internals and re-work them.

The Plan

What I hope to achieve is maybe impossible, so one or two of these things may have to go by the wayside in order to fit everything in the case.

1. Discrete GPU

This is the one thing that will shape the entire rest of the build. I already have a PCIe riser cable, so that is checked off the list, but the question will be, "Can I fit a GPU, and will it be low profile or standard height?". The hope is to fit something like a 1050 TI (so I can upgrade the video card in my just finished station :cool:).

2. Embedded CPU or low power Intel/AMD solution

This will depend on two things: The GPU fitting and cooling. There are several fairly decent embedded CPU solutions for cheap on Newegg, and with a discrete GPU, wouldn't have to worry about on-board graphics being good. Price, availability, and age of the technology will be other determining factors.

3. Brickless

This will probably go out the window pretty fast, but I want to attempt it anyways. Mocking the rest of the parts up will help determine if I can fit an HDPlex 160 AC/DC or something similar in this case. It will be tight. I had a brick in the last iteration of this build, so I am not completely opposed to it, but it would be cool as hell to make it work.

Last night I took it apart to start making progress and see what and where I needed to cut/flatten.

Here it is taken apart

Old Zotac board. Still works well, will probably repurpose it for something, maybe a PC for the Garage when working on stuff.

NES to USB adapters plus a USB header. This will most likely be left out due to the size of the adapters, but may take one apart to see if I can't reduce the footprint to cram it in. It will be a tight fit as this will be right by where most motherboards have the 24 pin adapter. If I cannot fit them, then I will convert it to USB ports like many people have done.

Here is the lid, inside of course. I had cut some of the plastic away already from the last build to make the vent better, and the small 60 mm fan that came with the Zotac board was glued to it for some air circulation. The vent space is a little smaller than 40 mm wide and roughly 115 mm long, which is great news, as I can fit 3 40 mm fans for air flow in a case that will be severely lacking in it.

The base is where a lot of the work is going to happen. The initial plan is to place the mobo at the bottom left, so a lot of cutting is going to take place. Luckily, the bottom is not visible XD. I want to make the base flat by cutting out the risers and the "square tunnel" as I call it. I am hoping to take the plastic from the tunnel part to cover the hole it will make from taking it out in the first place by just eliminating the sides, but time will tell. Also, the reset button at the top right will need to be eliminated, at least the functionality of it. The corner of the board hits the blue switch part, so I'll have to cut the PCB, bracket, and switch, then re-wire the power button and LED by soldering it on the other side. Depending on space/my skills, I might have the reset switch be able to be pressed, just not do anything, or I will just glue it for aesthetics.

The ultimate goal is to make a fairly up to date PC that looks like an NES from the exterior when looking at it head on, much like before. The only give away on the old build without turning it on was the WiFi antenna when it was up, and I want to try and keep it that way. I will update periodically as I work on this, but this is a long term, fiddle with it when I can project without any deadline. Thanks for looking.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Good luck with your build, have you seen this one? One of the nicest I have seen in a NES console, might give you some ideas.

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 8, 2018
Good luck with your build, have you seen this one? One of the nicest I have seen in a NES console, might give you some ideas.
That is indeed a nice build, but definitely has a modded look on the outside. I am looking for more of an original look on the outside. The way he fits things inside is interesting though. Still looks like he has lots of space!

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 8, 2018
Made a little progress today, separated the switches and bracket from the PCB board and soldered the power switch wires directly to the switch

Just have to figure out what to do with the reset switch (glue it stationary or make it seem functioning, depending on space)

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 8, 2018
Small update:
been chipping away at flattening the base for the mobo, etc. Got all the posts I needed to remove out, and working on cutting out the T channel/tunnel thing. Will smooth it all out a little better once the floor is complete. Still undecided how I am doing the back, might cut it all out and then get a laser cut piece of acrylic for the IO shield etc.

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 8, 2018
Was able to put in some work today, got the channel thing cut out completely and mostly cleaned up. Will need to sand/smooth and attach the T section back so the bottom is mostly flat.

and it resting in the base for a visual.

Next step will be determing how to handle the rear IO.

Also tried modifying the NES to USB port adapter, and let's just say I cannot solder very well at all and it is, at this point, a failed attempt to get it to fit. It is possible, but it may be beyond my supremely amateur skill.

Reactions: Biowarejak