Life after Ncase M1

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
I have noticed that a number of members here who used the Ncase M1 some time in the past but since then have moved onto something else. I am very curious to know the reason(s) for moving to another chassis.

I am keen to learn as much about the M1 as possible. Hopefully it will be the case that I will use for my next next build.

If you have used the M1 before and am using another case now, would you mind sharing your reason(s)?
Please give details like: how long you had used the M1 before you made the switch? what case you have used to replace the M1? reason(s) for the switch, shortcoming(s) of the M1, ...etc

Thanks.

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
I want something smaller. The m1 is a small case compared to full ATX towers, but its pretty big compared to a case such as the S4M.
This is SFF, so I'm obsessed over having the most power for liter.

Reactions: tinyitx

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
I started SFF with a M1, but simply loved building in different cases, and playing with water cooling. I’ve only slowed down recently due to work/life. I love my M1, and have purchased a 2nd one, along with additional panels for mods.
Here are my iterations (iirc) for my main rig:
  1. M1 (tried air cooling and 2x AIO)
  2. Cougar QBX Kaze (same setups as M1, main difference is a 80mm front fan)
  3. Define Nano S (tried air cooling to custom watercooled)
  4. back to M1 with custom watercooling
  5. lots of mods to the M1 (added TG / lights / pedestal rise / etc)
  6. Thermaltake Core G3 custom watercooling w/ 360mm radiator
  7. Phanteks Evolv Shift ITX (started with custom watercooling, but now 2x AIO)
I have a Dancase A4-SFX for a HTPC, and a second A4-SFX CAD workstation that I'm tinkering with right now.
When my S4M (and components) get here, I might swtich the CAD workstation to the S4M.

The main reason I "moved-on" from the M1 is not because I'm looking for something else, but rather that I'm like building.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I loved my M1 and I still do. But I also committed to a Cerberus which did support my plans back when I was thinking about multi-GPU. Because I have more cases than computers (and more computers than uses) I gave it to my nephew as an upgrade over a Cooler Master Elite 130. Ofcourse doing the build myself to get the satisfaction once more.

In the end it is an awesome case, even by today's standards. I'm sure there are not many people who did not like their M1 but in this kind of hobby/passion we tend to love doing new builds.

Rebel640

Caliper Novice
Mar 29, 2018
I recently got into SFF and while my temporary transition case is barely SFF (Lian Li PC Q38), i skipped the M1 and ordered a Dan case and Ghost S1 since they are smaller than M1, look better and fit the same amount of components i have (full size gpu, multiple hdd etc)

M1 design certainly hasn't aged too well IMHO (personal preference)

Last edited:
Reactions: tinyitx

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
I suppose I still use them for their initial purpose (stylish cases which blend into the livingroom and bedroom), but I did use one as my main for quite some time.

The reason I switched was that I wanted more than one pci-e slot in my main pc. Other than that I would probably have bought a third since it is so spacious to work in (with sensible components) and doesn’t really restrict you regarding choice of components. The third pci-bracket is also useful for adding extra usb-ports or some other add-on.

I moved to the Cerberus, which is really small compared to most mass-produced cases but still at least twice the size of the M1. For that trade-off I can use m-ATX motherboards which give me the extra lanes I required.

Reactions: Phuncz and tinyitx

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
M1 design certainly hasn't aged too well IMHO (personal preference)

May I ask, which design of M1 do you think has not aged well?

BTW, how old is the Ncase M1 now? 5 years?
The trend since last year is to have RGB and TG. Both are not really my preference. I think, M1 now has a optional transparent side panel but it comes at the expense of the ventilation openings. I would rather have the latter as I am more a form-follows-function guy.

Last edited:

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
May I ask, which design of M1 do you think has not aged well?

BTW, how old is the Ncase M1 now? 5 years?
The trend since last year is to have RGB and TG. Both are not really my preference. I think, M1 now has a optional transparent side panel but it comes at the expense of the ventilation openings. I would rather have the latter as I am more a form-follows-function guy.

I would say it has aged very well! The 'newer' designs are all too restrictive or gimmicky for my tastes - risers, external power bricks, minimal CPU cooling capacity.

The M1 has incorporated several changes and now even has a glass side panel. I think it has withstood the test of time quite well.

If I could change one thing about the M1 it would be front USB-C/Thunderbolt. But that can probably be done with mods.

Reactions: neovintage

Thestarkiller32

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2017
I have noticed that a number of members here who used the Ncase M1 some time in the past but since then have moved onto something else. I am very curious to know the reason(s) for moving to another chassis.

I am keen to learn as much about the M1 as possible. Hopefully it will be the case that I will use for my next next build.

If you have used the M1 before and am using another case now, would you mind sharing your reason(s)?
Please give details like: how long you had used the M1 before you made the switch? what case you have used to replace the M1? reason(s) for the switch, shortcoming(s) of the M1, ...etc

Thanks.
In the past, i had preordert the M1 V5 and got dissapointet befor it even shipped... first they had to change the black USB 3.0 Ports to regular Blues and then had to delay the shipment...but ok it came the me to Germany without any problims. As i unboxed the case, i saw that it was the blank case as expektet with crapy dustfilters and unsortet sruwes...as i started with the installation of the mainboar the first problim showed up...one of the standoffs wars loose so that i left them out...then the fact that you couldent install 2 2.5 inch harddrives in the front wars a letdown... but ok ok the build sexidet... annnnd then the Front I.O. wars trash... like why do the USB ports only go in half way and whytf scratch the front audio all my jackes ??? .... after living with it for a mondf, i ordert myself a QBX KAZE and wars flasht how good that thing wars and wondert why a 55€ Case is better that the M1 for 250$ + Shipping :0

... maby the NCase M1 Is like having a Apple iMac... it issend the best, but you can brag about how stylis it is or else

Last edited:

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
I have the opposite reaction to the Cougar QBX Kaze. The design, quality, fit, and finish on the Cougar definitely feels more mass produced, while the M1 is specialized and sophisticated.

I actually think that the M1 has held up much better than other case designs out there. Personally, I like the chamfered transitions on the front panel, while a lot of folks I know prefer fillets and rounds.

Thestarkiller32

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2017
I have the opposite reaction to the Cougar QBX Kaze. The design, quality, fit, and finish on the Cougar definitely feels more mass produced, while the M1 is specialized and sophisticated.

I actually think that the M1 has held up much better than other case designs out there. Personally, I like the chamfered transitions on the front panel, while a lot of folks I know prefer fillets and rounds.

I found it real nice ;)

Reactions: confusis and Nanook

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Please excuse the thread necro, folks.
I bought a (well) used M1 v5 in 2018 and have been running it happily for 3 years after giving it some TLC. The frame was looking scruffy, so I had it painted and lacquered by a car painter, and it looked great.*

*As much as you can see the M1 frame with the panels on 🤣

Time has moved on, and I have been considering a move to the long awaited Dan Case C4. This may still happen, but in the meantime I came across a used Sliger S610 that @MODZERO was selling, having moved to the 'wide boy' S620.

In reality, it's not very different, but the S610 is a little longer and taller and a bit narrower. What's great is I feel I have a mini Cerberus, which I something couldn't afford and thought it a bit big for my situation.
The other feature it has and I value is the top 120mm slim fan mount and really sturdy handle for LAN nights, which have been back in play this last few months.

I will miss the M1 as it is a truly iconic SFF case and broke the ground for many other products to enter the market.
My most grateful thanks to those SFF wizards @Necere and @Wahaha360 for their massive effort and commitment to SFF. I look forward to seeing in time what the 'New M1' or other replacement is.

Last edited:

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Please excuse the thread necro, folks.
I bought a (well) used M1 v5 in 2018 and have been running it happily for 3 years after giving it some TLC. The frame was looking scruffy, so i had it painted and lacquered by a car painter, and it looked great.*

*As much as you can see the M1 frame with the panels on 🤣

Time has moved on, and I have been considering a move to the long awaited Dan Case C4. This may still happen, but in the meantime I came across a used Sliger S610 that @MODZERO was selling, having moved to the 'wide boy' S620.

In reality, it's not very different, but the S610 is a little longer and taller and a bit narrower. What's great is I feel I have a mini Cerberus, which I something couldn't afford and thought it a bit big for my situation.
The other feature it has and I value is the top 120mm slim fan mount and really sturdy handle for LAN nights, which have been back in play this last few months.

I will miss the M1 as it is a truly iconic SFF case and broke the ground for many other products to enter the market.
My most grateful thanks to those SFF wizards @Necere and @Wahaha360 for their massive effort and commitment to SFF. I look forward to seeing in time what the 'New M1' or other replacement is.

All good things come to an end.

Necere and Wahaha put a lot of passion into it. The users from Hard OCP helped create an icon of the SFF industry, and helped spur an entirely new design ideal. If not for the M1, maybe SFFN wouldn't exist. But times do change, and GPUs are now 350 Watt monsters that take up 3 slots while CPUs have gone from 77 watt quad cores to 250 Watt hyrbrids. The M1 has to change too.

I have one in my living room right now, have built two others, and have a spare in my garage new-in-the-box. ;)

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
All good things come to an end.

Necere and Wahaha put a lot of passion into it. The users from Hard OCP helped create an icon of the SFF industry, and helped spur an entirely new design ideal. If not for the M1, maybe SFFN wouldn't exist. But times do change, and GPUs are now 350 Watt monsters that take up 3 slots while CPUs have gone from 77 watt quad cores to 250 Watt hyrbrids. The M1 has to change too.

I have one in my living room right now, have built two others, and have a spare in my garage new-in-the-box. ;)

Although I was never a member at [H] I was all over their SFF section regularly before this place was set up.
I absolutely agree with your sentiment that the M1 was a game changer.
You're not making me doubt whether I should sell mine or not...
Should I keep it for posterity boxed in the attic?
I am looking forward to the change into the S610, as it is a change and also reflective of the Cerberus, another SFFN icon.
I hope that the Dan Case C4 will appear in time and I will be able to buy one after so long a gestation period.

One in use and a pristine spare M1? That's commitment 😎

Last edited:

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
I may be overstating somewhat but the M1 is the OG in the SFF space. Look how far things have come since and I don't think for one minute cases like the Cooler Master Nr200 exist today without the M1 blazing the trail. It does seem like we have taken a step back from Pascal's efficiency and ITX friendly offerings with current mid to high end GPUs being 2.5 or more slot behemoths with 300+W draw etc. Rumors abound stating the next gen are going to be even thirstier and to remain relevant cases have to evolve to accommodate the hardware at hand. I never did purchase an M1 but I do have a Sliger 610 and it certainly is an M1 successor like the NR200 layout wise. The Ncase will always have a place historically in the SFF space as an icon IMO.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I think the M1 is the OG for high power density SFF allowing large GPUs to be fitted.
Previously the Shuttle range and Silverstone's SG05/SG06 were instrumental in making small builds possible. The SG01 and SG02 for mATX were also important in making smaller builds to a lesser extent,

Reactions: Phuncz and TheHig