LCD screen side panels?

TheInternal

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 27, 2016
Well, I was surprised to see a computer company release something like iBuyPower's Snow Blind case at a reasonable price point, especially considering I'd not really heard of modders doing much with the idea. A bit surprised no one is selling kits state-side for this.

A number of Google searches hasn't yielded many results, apart from one guy converting a USB monitor into a side panel. Has anyone else seen much going on with this style of mod? I love the idea and think it'd be relatively easy to do with a bit more technical knowledge than I have (I have a replacement laptop LCD panel collecting dust, but I don't have a clue as to how to get parts to make it work for such a project).

reasons4reasons

Trash Compacter
Jul 9, 2017
There was someone on the forums who used an adaptor board to stick an iPad Mini display to his S4 mini. It's definitely doable, and price for the panel isn't that bad if you're using the older iPad 3/4 LCDs.

For your existing panel, I know it's usually possible to get a controller board that would allow it to be externally connected through eBay or another site like that as long as you know the model number. At that point the electronics are plug and play and you'd just have to figure out how to integrate it with the case.

Reactions: Biowarejak

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
I love the idea of using a flexible film display or e-Ink to wrap a case panel so that you could change up the look of your case when you want to (or have it as a dynamic "screen" - kinda like @iFreilicht's power button only on steroids). Still a bit of a pipe dream, but somebody's going to do ti someday - even if the size of computers shrink down to implantable size.

Reactions: Biowarejak