Concept Lazer3D ST8 - Adaptable Volume Slim Tower Case

SumGhai

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 14, 2016
I've only stumbled upon this, and I'm almost convinced to drop designing my own case and go for this! Have there been any updates on the design?

If I might ask, how much of an air gap would be available in the horizontal position? It looks like a majority of the vents are pointed downwards, which concern me. Would the layout be flip-able to accommodate better airflow for the horizontal position?

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I've only stumbled upon this, and I'm almost convinced to drop designing my own case and go for this! Have there been any updates on the design?

If I might ask, how much of an air gap would be available in the horizontal position? It looks like a majority of the vents are pointed downwards, which concern me. Would the layout be flip-able to accommodate better airflow for the horizontal position?

Thanks!

I think this project will be a bit of a slow burner unfortunately, I am still working on it, but it will likely be sometime before it gets to prototype/production stage.

This layout is primarily designed to be stood up-right with the "show face" being a solid sheet of wood hence why it has no ventilation slots As you say, the airflow will be restricted with the vents facing down, the air gap would be dependant on the height of feet that you select.

The case could be lay horizontal with the ventilation slots facing upwards, but then you will be hiding the nice and expensive wood!

Reactions: SumGhai and el01

SumGhai

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 14, 2016
Thanks!

I think this project will be a bit of a slow burner unfortunately, I am still working on it, but it will likely be sometime before it gets to prototype/production stage.

This layout is primarily designed to be stood up-right with the "show face" being a solid sheet of wood hence why it has no ventilation slots As you say, the airflow will be restricted with the vents facing down, the air gap would be dependant on the height of feet that you select.

The case could be lay horizontal with the ventilation slots facing upwards, but then you will be hiding the nice and expensive wood!

I look forward to future progress! I absolutely love showpiece cases for SFF. And yes, hiding the expensive wood would be such a waste!

masteraleph

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 28, 2017
I love this idea, though I do wish there was a way to have the wood extend further (i.e. covering the wood side even when extended).

My two concerns- beyond stability, which you obviously know about- are heat transfer between components and access to air. Some sort of system to allow for dividers between components could be key- being able to have a separate GPU "compartment", for example. Obviously that can't be a solid wall, but some sort of a divider that allows the riser and a power cable through but otherwise blocks CPU/GPU air transfer seems important. The other piece is what happens to the air- it seems like positive pressure is the way to go here, with fans sucking in, but whether there's enough ventilation with only the side and not the top/bottom open is an interesting question.