Prototype Lazer3D LZX-Series (CNC, Triple Slot, M-ATX)

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
typo: "Campatible" (SFX-L)
Thankyou, I've corrected that and will get it uploaded shortly.

Since you mention "not including feet", it would be nice to have feet height listed too (perhaps in parentheses)
The reason for not including the feet is there are a selection of different feet to choose from of different size and heights, also some people prefer not to add feet if they need to fit the case into a tight spot for example.

p9:
- re: "Side panels also need to be switched to opposite sides if using the optional I/O". I find this a little confusing, because the fan-guard side panel can't just be switched with the GPU side panel even if the former contains the I/O cutout, no? Wouldn't that impact the airflow in a significant way? Wouldn't you need an entirely different pair of side panels with cutouts switched, but airflow holes staying the same? At least that's what the "Flipped I/O Panel with 3.5" drive" illustration suggests, but that seems incompatible with the note on p9. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, which is of course entirely possible (likely, even).
Hopefully this will become clearer once the configurator is live (should be complete next week).

The left and right panels are now the same shape with the same screw hole positions, so basically the left and right panels are interchangeable, you can also rotate the storage panel to move the I/O over to the opposite side.

On the configurator you will be able to select your preferred default I/O side, you can then pick what vent designs you would like on each side similar to what the LZ7 currently offers. You can choose which panels can mount the fan to, or select both panels to have compatibility with fans if you want, or neither.

I'm sure most people will choose to keep the I/O on the right side by default as this gives the most overall compatibility with longer GPU's for example, but for those who may want to stand the case upright with the GPU on top and still have access to the I/O, this is now an option.

Reactions: jpetso

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Pretty hyped for this one. So it will be available on Overclockers really soon?
Thanks for the support, stay tuned for more details! I'll be posting an official update with timescales and availability shortly.

Upon launch it will be available exclusively direct from Lazer3D, but this may change down the line.

Reactions: Mackan

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I've stayed tuned for a while. :) Any update or is it still too early?
Sorry for the lack of updates, we've run into some stock issues with certain components due to worldwide shortages, the shortages also affect this LZX-8 case.

Originally I had hoped to have it launched and shipping by the end of April, but we are currently building up a backlog of orders for existing cases due to these shortages which isn't ideal when you want to launch a new case!

I am hoping we can open pre-orders for the LZX-8 very shortly (in the next week or two - lookout for the announcement), I expect we can start shipping mid to late May.

I am very excited with what's being worked on behind the scenes to prepare for the launch, I think you'll like the new configurator page, there is currently something like over 240 million possible design combinations for the case!

Reactions: owliwar and Mackan

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com

I am pleased to announce that the Lazer3D LZX-8 is now available to pre-order, with shipping starting from mid May on a first come first serve basis.​

The LZX-8 will have a special introductory price of £139.99 (inc VAT*) whilst pre-orders are open from 22nd April until 14th May 2021.

The standard price will be £149.99 (inc VAT*) after 14th May.

*The 20% VAT is only applicable to UK residents, ex VAT pre-order price is £116.66 for rest of world (price will automatically be updated during checkout).

For more detailed information please visit the page below:

https://lazer3d.com/2021/04/22/introducing-the-lzx-8/

P.S. a YouTube video review is coming very soon!

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Hey everyone, I'm really happy to be able to share the first review of the LZX-8:

STS have done a great job showcasing the features and aesthetics of the LZX-8, they also pointed out some areas of improvement such as including screws to mount the feet to the side panel for standing the case vertically. This was definitely an oversight on my part and they will now be included in the box when you order a case with the HiFi style feet.

A detailed written review of the LZX-8 can be found here:

https://www.sts-tutorial.com/review/lazer-3d-lzx-8-review

Here is a list of the hardware used by STS:
  • Msi Aero RTX 3060 ITX
  • Intel i7 10700k
  • Noctua NH9L-I
  • ASRock Z590M-ITX/ac
  • G.Skill Trident Z
  • Samsung 970 Pro
  • Be Quiet! ITX

TEMPERATURE FEEDBACK

Although the system temperatures recorded in this review are more than acceptable for an SFFPC using such power hungry components, as pointed out by Krystian in the review these would be much lower with a few adjustments to the configuration.

For example, the Noctua NH-L9i used here is not ideal for using with an i7-10700k even in a full tower case, the Noctua NH-L12S would have given much lower temperatures.

Secondly, the LZX-8 configuration in this video is using the “Aero” style (Hexagon) vent pattern for the case fan, although these vents look great they are the most airflow restrictive vent type that we offer. If low temps and noise are a priority for you I would recommend to use the “Open Vent” style with a “Fan Guard” to maximise the airflow efficiency of the 140mm case fan. Or if you would prefer a vented pattern option, I would suggest the “Cyclone” style as the most airflow efficient vent type.

Anyways, thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy watching the review as much as I did!

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Need the XTD version :D

Yes I think it will be a good addition to the lineup being able to fit 2.5 slot 300mm+ GPU's, the design is almost complete, however it takes a huge amount of behind the scenes work to launch a new case (even if it's just an extension) so I expect it will be sometime in Q4 of this year before the work is complete.

Reactions: jpetso and chewie13

daddelbud

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 9, 2019
Looks awesome... question regarding cooling. Have you done any tests with the L12S?
I'm just in doubt how much room it will have to intake air between the top and the PSU.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Looks awesome... question regarding cooling. Have you done any tests with the L12S?
I'm just in doubt how much room it will have to intake air between the top and the PSU.
Thankyou. No in depth testing with this cooler has been done with the LZX-8, however I did allot of in depth testing with the L12S with the LZ7, which uses the same layout as the LZX-8.

The L12S performed really really well in the LZ7, the fan under the heatsink blows upward by default, therefore the proximity of the PSU does not have a big affect. Also with the 140mm case fan being right next to the cooler, and if you manage to align the heatsink fins parallel with the case fan airflow, the fans can work together to remove and exhaust heat away from the CPU and motherboard, you can get some very respectable results with this cooler for both the CPU and motherboard zone in general.

The LZX-8 also has 2mm extra CPU cooler than the LZ7, which should improve the breathability a little over the LZ7.

Here's a link to some of the testing:

Reactions: daddelbud

chewie13

Caliper Novice
Feb 19, 2018
Yes I think it will be a good addition to the lineup being able to fit 2.5 slot 300mm+ GPU's, the design is almost complete, however it takes a huge amount of behind the scenes work to launch a new case (even if it's just an extension) so I expect it will be sometime in Q4 of this year before the work is complete.
I look forward to this with bated breath my LZ7 XTD needs a boost for the new GPU line up and clearly, 4 Lazer3d cases are not enough I need more :)

Reactions: K888D

jpetso

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 17, 2021
Secondly, the LZX-8 configuration in this video is using the “Aero” style (Hexagon) vent pattern for the case fan, although these vents look great they are the most airflow restrictive vent type that we offer. If low temps and noise are a priority for you I would recommend to use the “Open Vent” style with a “Fan Guard” to maximise the airflow efficiency of the 140mm case fan. Or if you would prefer a vented pattern option, I would suggest the “Cyclone” style as the most airflow efficient vent type.
Also waiting for the XTD version. In terms of vents, I've got no stylistic concerns with the "Open Vent" style, but should I worry about dust with this big of a hole? (My place is a little dusty - hate cleaning.) Is there a way to add a dust filter to this setup, and would that make sense in general?

Reactions: K888D

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Also waiting for the XTD version. In terms of vents, I've got no stylistic concerns with the "Open Vent" style, but should I worry about dust with this big of a hole? (My place is a little dusty - hate cleaning.) Is there a way to add a dust filter to this setup, and would that make sense in general?
If you live in a dusty environment and have a case fan pulling air into the case, then whichever vent type you will probably see dust build up over time. The only way to prevent it is to use dust filters on the intake fans.

We don't supply them anymore, but you can purchase 140mm dust filters from most PC hardware stores or Amazon such as this one:

These can either be mounted to the outisde of the case, or in between the fan and the vent. The case comes supplied with some nuts and bolts that allow you to do this.

Reactions: jpetso

jpetso

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 17, 2021
@K888D
I know the LZX-12 is probably still some months away, but are there any updates to share? Should I plan for it to be released around the end of the year, or earlier or later than that?

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Similar to the LZ7 version, it will move the PSU to the front, allowing for longer GPUs and clearing up space for CPU coolers up to 135mm, I reckon?
Yes that's correct, it will be slightly longer than the LZ7 XTD and have support for 2.5 slot cards, so it should open up allot more GPU choice.

Expecting to launch it early 2022.

Reactions: Neathdrawls