Prototype Lazer3D LZX-Series (CNC, Triple Slot, M-ATX)

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I've been working on a successor to the LZ7 for sometime, but with the growing trend of oversized Graphics Cards it's been difficult to settle on the right balance of size and features. Please let me know your feedback and suggestions on what you would like to see in the next generation of Lazer3D cases.

With this in mind I present to you the Lazer3D LZX-Series, comprising of:
  • LZX-8 (Mini-ITX, 2.5 Slot 200mm GPU, 72mm CPU cooler, SFX-L, 140x25mm System Fan)
  • LZX-12 (Mini-ITX, 2.5 Slot 320mm GPU, 137mm CPU cooler/240mm AIO, SFX-L, 140x25mm System Fan)
  • LZX-15 (Mini-ITX or Micro-ATX, 5 full Slots, 320mm GPU, 137mm CPU cooler and Radiator support, SFX-L, 140x25mm System Fan)

CNC CORNERS
The biggest change for this new series of cases is the corners will be CNC machined Aluminium, giving the new cases a more premium feel. Prototypes have been received, tested and work well.

INCREASED COMPATIBILITY
The base model LZX-8 will support full thickness 140mm fans, CPU clearance has been increased and GPU clearance has been increased allowing 200mm 2.5 slot cards to be fitted.

UPGRADED I/O
Addition of a USB Type-C port to the front I/O (5Gbps Gen 1 Speed - 25w Fast Charge capable)

MORE CUSTOMISATION
LZX cases will take it one step further with the addition of optional vinyl wrap overlays, precisely cut and pre-applied in various patterns for some truly unique multi layered aesthetical possibilities when combined with the existing customisation options.

LOWER PRICE
Moving away from 3D printing removes a big chunk of raw material cost, so you can expect the LZX cases to be priced in the region of 10% - 20% lower than their predecessors.

LZX-8

Taking the classic LZ7 layout and proportions, the LZX-8 adds a small amount of volume (8.2 litres) to make some big improvements.

First up the side panel can now fit a standard 25mm thick 140mm fan, for quieter and cooler operation potential. This should also give some nice options for those RGB fans (of fans) out there.

CPU cooler height has been increased by 2mm. The Noctua NH-L12S would still be the recommended CPU cooler for this case, but this additional clearance gives it that little bit extra breathing room.

GPU length has been increased to 200mm, meaning some of the shorter length dual fan cards (such as the Asus Dual RTX 2070 Mini) can now fit, hopefully we'll see some short length cards for the new generation of their lower tier versions.

Some examples of vinyl wrap overlays can be seen below, there is potential for the vinyl to be applied to clear/smoked panels leaving window gaps into the case. I am hoping to have a selection of pre-design patterns that can be overlayed in the configurator, this will be an optional extra, but should allow you to build up some interesting design combinations:

I'm not sure whether this will be taken forward, but here is an experimental stand that gives the case a sort of floating over the desk look, it also doubles as a neat cable tidy:

LZX-12

*DISCLAIMER* LZX-12 prototype has not yet been made, this is an example of what it could look like including some features I have been experimenting with. This prototype shows an ATX PSU fitted hence why the power cord has to be routed under the case to make room. The metal mesh grills were also just a test using some in house tools, I'm not sure if this would be feasible for production. The "X" logo is also not mine, as this prototype was made for another company.

The LZX-12 will basically be an extended version of the LZX-8 with the PSU being located in the front of the case, similar to how the LZ7 and XTD are setup, allowing forward and backward compatible modularity. A major difference being in the LZX-12 the SFX PSU will be lay flat, which means the entire top panel can be used to mount a full 240mm AIO, or potentially even a 280mm AIO.

Another significant upgrade from the LZ7 XTD to the LZX-12 will be larger GPU's can be fitted, up to 320mm length 2.5 slot thick cards. This should offer significantly more options when it comes to picking a new generation graphics card. If you would like to fit a triple slot card, then you can always go for the LZX-15 instead (shown below).

LZX-15

With all the buzz around NVidia's 3000 series cards and AMD's 6000 series cards and barely any dual slot models in sight, I have been working on designing a slightly larger case, the LZX-15.

With a similar layout to the smaller LZX-12, this 15.2 litre case can fit a full size Micro-ATX motherboard, SFX-L PSU, 5 slots for expansion cards and 137mm of CPU cooler clearance.

When an M-ATX motherboard is fitted there is for a 140mm AIO on the top panel, but there is room to fit a 240mm AIO next to the GPU if it won't choke GPU airflow. You can however still use an M-ITX motherboard which allows you to rotate the PSU onto its side and then fit a 280mm AIO along the top panel.

Nosuchthing

Trash Compacter
Feb 27, 2017
I can't say I'm not disappointed at the LZ series getting bigger, damn GPUs just getting hotter and more power hungry.

But what I can say is, I want that floating stand, that thing looks awesome!

Reactions: K888D

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I can't say I'm not disappointed at the LZ series getting bigger, damn GPUs just getting hotter and more power hungry.

But what I can say is, I want that floating stand, that thing looks awesome!

Yes it wasn't a decision I took lightly, the original LZ7 will still be available and continue to be supported for those who prefer that design.

Reactions: Nosuchthing

Nosuchthing

Trash Compacter
Feb 27, 2017
Yes it wasn't a decision I took lightly, the original LZ7 will still be available and continue to be supported for those who prefer that design.

It is an excellent design, I really enjoy my case, especially how flexible it is in terms of hardware, mind you, I have no intention of a significant GPU upgrade any time soon.

I would also happily pay for an upgrade kit to make that floating foot viable with my current Lz7, though I totally get that's probably not worth the time ?

In terms of the current designs you're proposing, I personally would have no interest in anything over 10 litres. It's just too big for me. I feel like the LzX 12 and the LzX15 lose a lot of what makes the Lz7 special for us, that it's a tiny PC case that runs almost silent and has room for expandable storage! There is pretty much nothing else on the market that comes close. And certainly nothing that is as easily accessible.

lasek

Average Stuffer
Feb 22, 2017
hey, good to see some new designs !

The stand is great, hopefully a backpanel + stand will be available for the LZ7 too. No noticeable vibrations ?
The LZ8, as you mention, will mainly find a use case if the new gen has short models, which we all hope here.
The LZ12 is the most classic SFF layout therefore a solid addition ; the bottom psu cable is weird though.
The LZ15 is for the enthusiasts. Makes me wonder what would be the compromises for a 10L vertical layout.

lodger

Cable Smoosher
Jul 8, 2018
The LZ7 is amazing case .
Can you keep the module design. I have so many diffant side panels for mine. its for ever changing colour.

Kween

Case Bender
New User
Nov 23, 2020
I've been looking for a case with a 140mm front intake and a 140mm top exhaust. Dimensions roughly 16x30x25 to accommodate slightly bigger than 2 slot gpu with a max length gpu of 270 max.

The lz12 seems almost perfect assuming there's a possibility of getting a fan in the front and having the exhaust on top of the case. I've almost pulled the trigger on the lz xtd a few times but it wasn't quite right.

I'm not really sure why front intake/top exhaust is so rare in itx cases, seems like an obvious layout

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I would also happily pay for an upgrade kit to make that floating foot viable with my current Lz7, though I totally get that's probably not worth the time ?
The stand is great, hopefully a backpanel + stand will be available for the LZ7 too. No noticeable vibrations ?

I didn't really think about retro fitting this to the current LZ7, it should be possible with a new rear panel. I will put some thought into whether it can be done, my current priority however is trying to launch these new cases, as right now Lazer3D doesn't have anything on the market to cater for 2.5+ slot graphics cards!

In terms of the current designs you're proposing, I personally would have no interest in anything over 10 litres. It's just too big for me. I feel like the LzX 12 and the LzX15 lose a lot of what makes the Lz7 special for us, that it's a tiny PC case that runs almost silent and has room for expandable storage! There is pretty much nothing else on the market that comes close. And certainly nothing that is as easily accessible.

Thank you for the feedback, yes I totally get where you are coming from and agree with you. Unfortunately though with increasing GPU power consumption for their high end models it doesn't look like we'll be seeing many short length cards for the top tiers, which is a real shame. Even Zotac's new "shorter length" 3070 Twin Edge is still 232mm long, and stupidly tall.

The LZ8, as you mention, will mainly find a use case if the new gen has short models, which we all hope here.

Hopefully yes, as I mentioned above I don't think we will see any 3070's or above in true dual slot 170mm itx form factor, but perhaps something like an RTX 3060Ti or RX 6700 will save the day with short length versions.

The LZ12 is the most classic SFF layout therefore a solid addition ; the bottom psu cable is weird though.

The cable out the bottom is because this particular prototype was fitted with a full size ATX PSU and the internal clearance was needed.

The final version of the LZX-12 will be compatible with SFX and SFX-L only and the cable will be routed internally similar to the LZ7 XTD.

The LZ15 is for the enthusiasts. Makes me wonder what would be the compromises for a 10L vertical layout.

I'm not sure what you mean by this sorry?

The LZ7 is amazing case .
Can you keep the module design. I have so many diffant side panels for mine. its for ever changing colour.

Yes the new cases will be configurable similar to the current LZ cases, with the addition of Vinyl layers for added customisation (hopefully).

The lz12 seems almost perfect assuming there's a possibility of getting a fan in the front and having the exhaust on top of the case.

This should be possible if you are happy to compromise on storage drives, as the fan front fan would be positioned where the 2.5" storage drives would sit. You may able to mount the drives elsewhere in the case though manually.

lasek

Average Stuffer
Feb 22, 2017
I'm not sure what you mean by this sorry?

I like the idea of a vertical 3 slots GPU no riser layout, and am wondering is this is the sizing factor for the 15L, or other supported hardware is (micro atx, sfx-L, 240-280 AIO, side fan, ssd, comfortable free space).
In other words, can a vertical 3 slots GPU no riser build be significantly below 15L ?

Reactions: pwnedundies

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I like the idea of a vertical 3 slots GPU no riser layout, and am wondering is this is the sizing factor for the 15L, or other supported hardware is (micro atx, sfx-L, 240-280 AIO, side fan, ssd, comfortable free space).
In other words, can a vertical 3 slots GPU no riser build be significantly below 15L ?

It should be possible except for the 240mm AIO, the PSU has to be orientated at a right angle to the motherboard which blocks the AIO, otherwise the case ends up being an extra 50mm longer.

But with an ITX motherboard then yes, the PSU can be lay flat and therefore a 240/280mm AIO mounted to the top panel. This layout should be possible at around 13 litres with a triple slot GPU, the LZX-12 will be 2.5 slot.

lasek

Average Stuffer
Feb 22, 2017
I see thanks.
What do you think of :
- no 240/280 AIO, no side fan, no bottom fan, no ssd
- mini itx, SFX PSU exhaust on top, CPU aircooling, one top fan, panel perforation in front of the cpu and on top

glitch

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 24, 2020
K888D love the look of the lz8, those metal corners look sexy! I don't suppose there is any chance you can add an m.2 cutout below the motherboard? It would save some time if you ever needed to swap or upgrade one. (A personal thing but I would love an io without a mic/speaker combo, but I am probably in the minority there).

Any rough idea when these cases go into production? I'm building in the near future and the lz8 and 15 look pretty tempting to me.

Nosuchthing

Trash Compacter
Feb 27, 2017
K888D love the look of the lz8, those metal corners look sexy! I don't suppose there is any chance you can add an m.2 cutout below the motherboard? It would save some time if you ever needed to swap or upgrade one.

I don't think the Lz8 actually deploys a motherboard tray (my Lz7 does not), so putting in an m.2 cutout below the motherboard would just leave a gap in the bottom/side of the case. I run my Lz7 on it's side for a more vertical orientation. It looks like the Lz8 on the foot is also orientated vertically. Honestly I think a cutout there would be a massive eyesore. Could be an option in the upgrade panels though?

(A personal thing but I would love an io without a mic/speaker combo, but I am probably in the minority there).

I think one of the challenges here lies in finding a suitable front IO that actually supports this.

I personally find front USBs almost pointless except for plugging in my SD reader, and I'd actually much rather have a front IO that simply supports an SD reader, it seems almost unfindable though, more is the pity...

Reactions: Mark13 and K888D

glitch

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 24, 2020
I don't think the Lz8 actually deploys a motherboard tray (my Lz7 does not), so putting in an m.2 cutout below the motherboard would just leave a gap in the bottom/side of the case. I run my Lz7 on it's side for a more vertical orientation. It looks like the Lz8 on the foot is also orientated vertically. Honestly I think a cutout there would be a massive eyesore. Could be an option in the upgrade panels though?

Still kind of a noob with this kind of stuff, I was just under the impression you just needed back access. Didn't realize it needs a tray as well. Also didnt notice the motherboard had the vertical orientation, i think I filled my head with the idea that it was just a slightly big lz7. I am clearly wrong.

I think one of the challenges here lies in finding a suitable front IO that actually supports this.

I personally find front USBs almost pointless except for plugging in my SD reader, and I'd actually much rather have a front IO that simply supports an SD reader, it seems almost unfindable though, more is the pity...
I think this comes back to everyone probably having different use cases for io. I love my front usb ports and I somehow always manage to fill them all, probably not possible but it would be cool to one day see cases with a bunch of different io options. I would wager that would be too expensive/time consuming. I feel your plight on the SD card reader part of the reason I bought a hades canyon nuc was for all the io it had. Unfortunately its no longer suitable for my use case.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I don't suppose there is any chance you can add an m.2 cutout below the motherboard?

It's something I've tried to think about how it could be done, but it would need a double layered base panel which will increase the overall volume of the case. For this reason I've decided not to include this functionality sorry.

A personal thing but I would love an io without a mic/speaker combo, but I am probably in the minority there
I personally find front USBs almost pointless except for plugging in my SD reader, and I'd actually much rather have a front IO that simply supports an SD reader

This is possible to have multiple I/O options as the LZX ecosystem develops, but for launch the options will either be vandal switch only, or Full IO including the 3 USB and audio ports.

Any rough idea when these cases go into production?

The final LZX-8 prototype was completed today and looks good to go, I will try and get some photos up soon.

Next step is all the background work such as writing the manual, photography, creating the website configurator and product pages, etc. So it's just a matter of how much time I can pump into completing those tasks in between trying to fulfill existing ongoing orders.

I would like to have it launched by the end of January 2021, but this isn't guaranteed.

Reactions: glitch

Kween

Case Bender
New User
Nov 23, 2020
You mentioned to zotac twin edge earlier. Although it's a very tall card the power plugs are very recessed. When a case maker quotes say 138mm as the max gpu height are they including the width of the plugs in that number or is it 138mm+space for plugs?

glitch

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 24, 2020
I appreciate you taking the time to respond! Fair enough on the m.2. I wouldn't mind mixing and matching panels later down the track, it is one of the advantages of the lz after. Ill be keeping an eye out around January then, best of luck!

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
You mentioned to zotac twin edge earlier. Although it's a very tall card the power plugs are very recessed. When a case maker quotes say 138mm as the max gpu height are they including the width of the plugs in that number or is it 138mm+space for plugs?

I don't think there is a universal way of specifying it, for both cases and cards. For this reason I prefer to use a diagram with measurements as it helps to avoid confusion, like this for the LZ7 XTD:

I appreciate you taking the time to respond! Fair enough on the m.2. I wouldn't mind mixing and matching panels later down the track, it is one of the advantages of the lz after. Ill be keeping an eye out around January then, best of luck!

Thanks, I appreciate the support!

Reactions: glitch