Production Lazer3D LZ7 - Quiet Gaming Cube PC Case

vault

What's an ITX?
Apr 13, 2018
For a Coffee Lake + NH-L12S build, the high end ASrock Fatal1ty board seems much better fit for LZ7 than the ASUS Strix, used in Tek Everything videos. As he pointed out, the ASUS has this oversized VRM heatsink preventing optimal cooler orientation. The ASrock has no such issue:

The only significant difference between these boards is Thunderbolt on the ASrock and second M.2 port on the ASUS. The ASrock supposedly has much better VRM, but I'm not sure it matters in a setup like this.

DrMaxP

Minimal Tinkerer
Apr 24, 2018
Been lurking here a bit.

@K888D A few questions. I'm waiting on the parts at Overclockers (for about a month), but haven't had an order update.
Secondly, about people's builds:

Thinking about using the Asrock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITXac motherboard, mainly because I'm thinking that Thunderbolt3 might be useful one day. I also have the noctua-nh-l12s cooler.

In terms of GPUs, am thinking of the Gigabyte 1080 mini which has finally come back to sensible prices. However, I'm still debating waiting for Turing (and whatever delays may come from having an ITX variant of the card that will fit). One question is does this board definitely fit in the case? Are there issues with the power connector placement?

Secondly, is there any point getting an 8th gen i5 or i7 K variant. It seems that overclocking is not recommended with this cooler? I can't see the point other than resale value or moving to a different case...

Reactions: dcaparros

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
@K888D A few questions. I'm waiting on the parts at Overclockers (for about a month), but haven't had an order update.

I am very sorry to hear that, have you tried contacting Overclockers UK customer service to see if they can provide you with an update for your order?

Thinking about using the Asrock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITXac motherboard, mainly because I'm thinking that Thunderbolt3 might be useful one day. I also have the noctua-nh-l12s cooler.

In terms of GPUs, am thinking of the Gigabyte 1080 mini which has finally come back to sensible prices. However, I'm still debating waiting for Turing (and whatever delays may come from having an ITX variant of the card that will fit). One question is does this board definitely fit in the case? Are there issues with the power connector placement?

Are you referring to whether the GPU or whether the motherboard will fit in this case?

The Gigabyte GTX 1080 Mini will fit no problem, this is the card @Tek Everything has been using in his build videos.

With regards to the Asrock Z370 motherboard, it should fit, I see no reason why it wouldn't. I can’t really guarantee it will though as it’s not something I’ve personally used and I can’t find any example customer build where it has been used either.

Secondly, is there any point getting an 8th gen i5 or i7 K variant. It seems that overclocking is not recommended with this cooler? I can't see the point other than resale value or moving to a different case...

It depends on what your priorities are, the case can silently cool a 65W TDP CPU when using the NH-L12S, step up to a 95W CPU (K variant) and the NH-L12S can still comfortably cool the chip but at the expense of higher noise under high CPU loads.

There is even room for some light overclocking, but again it comes at the expense of increased high load noise. So it depends on whether your priorities are absolute performance (overclocked K chip), a blend of noise/performance (stock speed K chip), or absolute silence (non K chip), all of which are achievable when using the NH-L12S cooler.

DrMaxP

Minimal Tinkerer
Apr 24, 2018
I am very sorry to hear that, have you tried contacting Overclockers UK customer service to see if they can provide you with an update for your order?

Yes I have. They said they were still waiting on one part last time I checked, but this was before your delivery. I did order a fan at the same time that was also out of stock so perhaps that is the issue.

This is what they said on the 10th: "We are still waiting on the right panel and the fan at the moment. As soon as they arrive we will email you with dispatch."

Are you referring to whether the GPU or whether the motherboard will fit in this case?

The GPU. Good to hear it does.

The Gigabyte GTX 1080 Mini will fit no problem, this is the card @Tek Everything has been using in his build videos.

With regards to the Asrock Z370 motherboard, it should fit, I see no reason why it wouldn't. I can’t really guarantee it will though as it’s not something I’ve personally used and I can’t find any example customer build where it has been used either.

It depends on what your priorities are, the case can silently cool a 65W TDP CPU when using the NH-L12S, step up to a 95W CPU (K variant) and the NH-L12S can still comfortably cool the chip but at the expense of higher noise under high CPU loads.

There is even room for some light overclocking, but again it comes at the expense of increased high load noise. So it depends on whether your priorities are absolute performance (overclocked K chip), a blend of noise/performance (stock speed K chip), or absolute silence (non K chip), all of which are achievable when using the NH-L12S cooler.

This is the rub! I need to decide. I don't think I'm that bothered about overclocking, but it's always tempting. The main use will be as a dev box and VR rig, so the GPU is more important than the processor for most things.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I wonder what's the reasonable price? I love this case but also think it's too expensive...
Believe he was talking about the GPU, buddy. Welcome to the forum though, and yes the price of this case is high, but that's the cost of having a retail partner and being based in Europe.

Reactions: InfernoZeus

LeonM

Cable Smoosher
May 4, 2018
I just received my LZ7 earlier today. This is definitely one of the best looking case Ive ever owned. I'll provide photos of my build when Im done.

By the way, mine didn't come with a printed manual. Its really no biggie, I printed the manual from the website. Also, the small piece that goes behind the back above the GPU. It doesnt have any branding or serial number. Is this normal?

Last edited:

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I just received my LZ7 earlier today. This is definitely one of the best looking case Ive ever owned. I'll provide photos of my build when Im done.

By the way, mine didn't come with a printed manual. Its really no biggie, I printed the manual from the website. Also, the small piece that goes behind the back above the GPU. It doesnt have any branding or serial number. Is this normal?
Thanks for the comments, look forward to seeing your build photos! The images you've linked aren't working for me though.

Sorry about the manual being missing, I will mention it to OcUK.

Regarding the branding/serial number, I had to make the decision to stop doing this as the process was taking too much time to complete. Each plate had to be individually edited in the software, re-uploaded onto the cutter and then the plate manually aligned on the bed which was taking a few minutes per plate. I've been struggling to keep up with demand and so this was just one small way to speed up production. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
I’m planning to initially place this case out of sight in my network-shelf and wonder if there would be any adverse effects of leaving the protective film on the outside parts of the panels?

My assumption is that removing them at a later date would increase the chance of preserving the finish for when someone would actually be able to see it. :-)

Reactions: K888D and Phuncz

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I’m planning to initially place this case out of sight in my network-shelf and wonder if there would be any adverse effects of leaving the protective film on the outside parts of the panels?

My assumption is that removing them at a later date would increase the chance of preserving the finish for when someone would actually be able to see it. :-)
No adverse affects that I'm aware of, you may have to loosen each screw off before peeling the film off as it will get stuck under the screws and then re-tighten them. But yeah that's a good idea for preserving the surface finish.

TDBMadness

What's an ITX?
New User
May 5, 2018
Hello

I'm new here
First of all it's been a few months i knew about this amazing case so thank you for your work, as many people I've seen Tek Everything video's and I'm very interested.
I have 2 questions,

The first one is about the DC-DC, wish one to get, i mean what part i need to get please because i have no idea what to get and same for the power brick any recommendation please?
because i really want a bigger Air cooler for a 8700k, if not i just get the corsair power supply.
and the last one, what are the dimension for a bigger air cooler please?

Thank you for your amazing work on this case again !
Sorry for my english I'm French .

Last edited:
Reactions: K888D

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Thanks for the comments @TDBMadness and welcome to the forum

The first one is about the DC-DC, wish one to get, i mean what part i need to get please because i have no idea what to get

For the DC-DC power supply I would recommend the HDPLEX 400w HiFi DC-ATX.

For the LZ7 case to be fully DC-DC compatible you will need to select the following options in the configurator:

Optional Top XL-Vent panel allows more cooling options when using DC-DC power supplies such as top mounted fans, or 120mm AIO coolers.

same for the power brick any recommendation please?

I would recommend the 19v Dell 330w AC-DC adapter, this is currently the best stock adapter available for high end builds (i7 + gtx 1070). For mid level builds (i5 + GTX 1060) then the 19V Dell 250w will be sufficient.

The Dell power bricks are also compatible with HDPLEX DC-ATX units.

Please make sure you pick a genuine DELL adapter as there are counterfeit units on the market which will not output or sustain the full stated output wattage.

what are the dimension for a bigger air cooler please?

When using DC-DC power supplies the maximum CPU cooler height is 130mm, although this depends on your motherboard layout and where you choose to mount your DC-DC power supply inside the case.

I would recommend the Noctua NH-U9S in the following layout:

dcaparros

Trash Compacter
May 19, 2017
Just did my build yesterday and this case is fantastic! I had some trouble figuring the parts, but it was totally my fault by not reading the manual and inexperience.

One thing that I would like to know if it's possible to use a handle in this case? I saw 4 holes in the top cover, but I'm not sure if it has to be designed or we can use off the market products