Production Lazer3D LZ7 - Quiet Gaming Cube PC Case

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I don't like LEDs simply because my desk is across from my bed, but it can be made to look pretty cool, and this is an example.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
On front panel, lz7 strip is grey, is there any way to change color?

The grey is the effect created by the laser etching process, the colour it comes out is determined by the Acrylic material, you can vary the power of the laser for the etching which should alter how much the etching stands out.

I'm not actually sure whether I'll be putting the stripe on the front, it was just an experiment to see what the etching looked like. What do you guys think? Etch detail on the front panel or not?

atl

Cable Smoosher
Aug 7, 2016
I'm not actually sure whether I'll be putting the stripe on the front, it was just an experiment to see what the etching looked like. What do you guys think? Etch detail on the front panel or not?

I like it. It gives some visual interest to the plainest face.

Some questions about the various mounting holes:
  1. What are the top face's mounting holes for again?
  2. It looks like the (gorgeous: do want) hi-fi feet overlap a little bit with some of the venting in one corner. I haven't worked with acrylic, but wouldn't that weaken the load-bearing case there?
  3. I don't understand the use case for both the 120mm and 140mm fan/filter mounts on the left (GPU) side. Is there a stated use case for using both at once?
I love it. It's still a little hard getting a sense of the small scale from the photos!
I can't wait to send you money. :D

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Some questions about the various mounting holes:
  1. What are the top face's mounting holes for again?
  2. It looks like the (gorgeous: do want) hi-fi feet overlap a little bit with some of the venting in one corner. I haven't worked with acrylic, but wouldn't that weaken the load-bearing case there?
  3. I don't understand the use case for both the 120mm and 140mm fan/filter mounts on the left (GPU) side. Is there a stated use case for using both at once?

Good questions! I'll try to answer them below:
  1. The holes on the top panel are just to future proof the chassis in case anybody wanted add a handle, or if I released one at a later date.
  2. Yes the metal feet do overlap the vents, but the default rubber feet which will be supplied do not. In terms of load on the base panel, the 5mm panels are pretty tough and there shouldn't be anything to worry about in terms of strength.
  3. The 120 and 140 holes are there to provide maximum compatibility, to cover all bases! One scenario could be a single slot GPU with a 140mm slim fan mounted to the GPU side panel, most 140mm slim fans use 120 mounting holes, the 140 mounting holes could then be used to attach a 140mm dust filter.
I love it. It's still a little hard getting a sense of the small scale from the photos!

Good point, I will try and get some scale photos sorted out.

I can't wait to send you money. :D

I'm happy with the latest prototype, so now it's just a matter of preparing everything to start selling them!

Reactions: atl

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
To be honest, you should relaunch your poll about color and options (feets, power button, fan filter..) wanted by future consumers.

Even brilliant black is wonderful..:)

Reactions: K888D

Andorski

Caliper Novice
Sep 10, 2016
Just found out about this case on r/sffpc and love it. Definitely interested in getting one once they're available. I personally would like the front panel without the etching; the case looks fantastic with it's clean look. I'd also be interested in the case having a handle, like the briefcase style handle you designed earlier.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Sorry for late reply, had the weekend off computer stuff, we have just put our house up for sale and it sold in 2 days of being on the market!

Just found out about this case on r/sffpc and love it. Definitely interested in getting one once they're available. I personally would like the front panel without the etching; the case looks fantastic with it's clean look. I'd also be interested in the case having a handle, like the briefcase style handle you designed earlier

I am personally leaning towards a plain front (non laser etched), perhaps as @MarcParis suggested I need to create a small survey for final details such as these. But to be honest I just need to concentrate on getting them on sale!

I will look into the handles at a later date, hopefully the pre-cut holes on the top panel will future proof the case.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
@K888D : congratulations for your fast sale of your house!

You are right, you need to focus on releasing at least one version of LZ7, customization could arrive later as options..:)

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
congratulations for your fast sale of your house!

Thanks! It was a shock how fast it all went, as soon as we put it up for sale my phone didn't stop ringing from the estate agent trying to book viewings, sold it within 2 days of putting it up for sale, and yesterday we put a deposit down on a new build which will be ready next year! So a busy few months ahead.

Back onto the LZ7:

Here is a quick update of the case with its wooden panels added, I'm not sure exactly how I am going to tackle selling these panels or even if they will be a viable as they will cost in the region of £30 extra just for these 2 extra panels (with current supplier), making them an expensive addition. There are some photos with just the front panel in wood, so potentially this could half the price, let me know what you think.

The wooden material finish is called Wenge, there are a few other wood finishes available:

This photo shows the wooden panel only attached to the front panel and not the top:

Here you can see where all the panels join up, the panels may need to be spray mounted (by the customer) onto the Acrylic to get them nice and flat as they are 0.6mm thick and quite flexible. Or I have seen that this material is available as adhesive backed, but not with my current supplier, so I would need to sort something out for production:

This photo shows the "open" GPU side panel, you can attach a 140mm dust filter onto this panel. This design without the slot restriction allows for great airflow whilst providing dust protection:

This is a closeup of the laser etched logo (logo design not yet finalised), you can see that the veneer panel is genuine wood and just a surface finish effect:

Here it is from the rear, self explanatory!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It was a shock how fast it all went, as soon as we put it up for sale my phone didn't stop ringing from the estate agent trying to book viewings, sold it within 2 days of putting it up for sale

Maybe you should have set it at at higher price? Though I guess it's too late now :p

Here you can see where all the panels join up, the panels may need to be spray mounted (by the customer) onto the Acrylic to get them nice and flat as they are 0.6mm thick and quite flexible. Or I have seen that this material is available as adhesive backed, but not with my current supplier, so I would need to sort something out for production:

If they just stick onto the acrylic panels, I'd concentrate on getting the base case out first. Then if there's demand you could sell the wood stick-on sheets as an add-on later. Unless there's just overwhelming demand for them, but you'd need a survey to figure that out.

Reactions: CXH4

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Maybe a tip for future photos: those three pictures all give an entirely different look for the wood, I first thought they were different materials. The lighting seems to be the main factor here. Personally I dislike the look of the wood texture on the first photo, but I very much like the look of the third photo.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
I think in this cooler class the Thermalright AXP 100 or Cryorig C7 will be the best ;)

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Woo, I'm currently using the Scythe Kozuti. It's pretty quiet and efficient for its size but then again I am using a 35W processor.