smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
/r/outlast approved

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Thanks for the quick reply!

The MeanWell RPS-200-12-C that I'm planning to use is 102x51x29mm (connectors on the short sides), so I dont think fitting it will be a problem - unless it interferes with my cooler, which would then be my problem and not yours ;) As for mounting, I could velcro it in, use double sided tape, or (carefully!) drill holes for two countersunk screws (the PSU has mounting holes on one of the "long" (102x29mm) sides). For now, I'm thinking It could fit either in the front of the case or next to one of the vented sides (the latter might promote some airflow past it for cooling). Btw, does the case come with the vandal switch and/or rear C14 connector?

Also, what is the clearance between the motherboard edges and the various side/front panels? I've looked around the thread a bit, but can't find any measurements.

And it's great that custom panels will be a possibility! I'll get in touch with you once I'm closer to actually making this a reality - sounds like a direct order might be the best option for me.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Btw, does the case come with the vandal switch and/or rear C14 connector?

The case ships with a white LED Vandal Switch.

I'm not sure what you mean by the C14 rear connector? The case does ship with a C14 cutout on the rear for mounting the connector that is usually supplied with the HDPLEX units. It is also comes with a few adapter plates for mounting different types of DC input connectors.

You can see the C14 cutout I am referring to on the rear panel in the photo below:

Also, what is the clearance between the motherboard edges and the various side/front panels? I've looked around the thread a bit, but can't find any measurements.

Please see photo below for clearances around the motherboard. Please note that these clearances are dependant on the layout of your case, for example 1 of the side panels has the HDPLEX 6mm standoffs mounted to it, the panel is interchangeable and can be fixed to either side of the case. If you want to fit an internal AC-DC adapter then I recommend you put the standoff panel on the GPU side of the case (there is still enough clearance for a dual slot GPU don't worry).

Other things to consider are the accessory slot in panels are 3mm thick, so depending on if or where you place them they will affect your clearances:

A simple way to think of this case is there are 2 module bays, 1 each side of the case, and a smaller bay in the front of the case for mounting 1x 2.5" storage drive, or a slim style DC power board.

These are what I would consider module and will take up 1 side of the case:

The case can only fit 2 modules, so you have to plan your system and pick only 2 from the above.

For instance if you wanted an internal PSU layout with a Dual Slot LP GPU, then you would have the GPU on the left and the HDPLEX 300w AC-DC on the right. You would need to use something like the HDPLEX Direct Plug 160w as your PSU and your storage can be mounted in the front. You won't be able to fit any case fans.

If you wanted to install a Dual Slot GPU and have additional case cooling with 2x 80mm fans on the right side of the case, then you would more than likely need to use an external AC-DC adapter (power brick).

If you wanted a mega cooled APU build you could fit 2x 80mm fans on the right, 2x 80mm fans on the left and again use the HDPLEX Direct plug 160w with an external AC-DC adapter (power brick).

Here is a visual of some of the layout options (courtesy of @owliwar ):

Reactions: owliwar

duke00

Average Stuffer
May 27, 2016
I am not sure but maybe the current case design can fit small matx boards too if you dont fit the top and bot fans? Or are the case not high enough for an matx board?

Edit: damm ;) i see then you need another back plate

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
The case ships with a white LED Vandal Switch.

I'm not sure what you mean by the C14 rear connector? The case does ship with a C14 cutout on the rear for mounting the connector that is usually supplied with the HDPLEX units. It is also comes with a few adapter plates for mounting different types of DC input connectors.

You can see the C14 cutout I am referring to on the rear panel in the photo below:

Please see photo below for clearances around the motherboard. Please note that these clearances are dependant on the layout of your case, for example 1 of the side panels has the HDPLEX 6mm standoffs mounted to it, the panel is interchangeable and can be fixed to either side of the case. If you want to fit an internal AC-DC adapter then I recommend you put the standoff panel on the GPU side of the case (there is still enough clearance for a dual slot GPU don't worry).

Other things to consider are the accessory slot in panels are 3mm thick, so depending on if or where you place them they will affect your clearances:

A simple way to think of this case is there are 2 module bays, 1 each side of the case, and a smaller bay in the front of the case for mounting 1x 2.5" storage drive, or a slim style DC power board.

These are what I would consider module and will take up 1 side of the case:

The case can only fit 2 modules, so you have to plan your system and pick only 2 from the above.

For instance if you wanted an internal PSU layout with a Dual Slot LP GPU, then you would have the GPU on the left and the HDPLEX 300w AC-DC on the right. You would need to use something like the HDPLEX Direct Plug 160w as your PSU and your storage can be mounted in the front. You won't be able to fit any case fans.

If you wanted to install a Dual Slot GPU and have additional case cooling with 2x 80mm fans on the right side of the case, then you would more than likely need to use an external AC-DC adapter (power brick).

If you wanted a mega cooled APU build you could fit 2x 80mm fans on the right, 2x 80mm fans on the left and again use the HDPLEX Direct plug 160w with an external AC-DC adapter (power brick).

Here is a visual of some of the layout options (courtesy of @owliwar ):

Thanks for this, it will be immensely helpful in planning the build! You answered my question regarding the C14 connector well - I was wondering if the actual power socket (and possibly wires to connect to an internal PSU) were included or if I had to supply them myself. It makes sense that it's not included (given how few people use these internal AC-DC 12V setups), but I thought I'd ask regardless. I'll just add that to the order when I buy my PSU :)

It looks like there'll be plenty of room for a MeanWell >=200W PSU in either the top or bottom here, so that shouldn't be a problem. I might even be able to mount it to one of the accessory panels to avoid drilling/screwing into the outer panels. My final PSU placement will depend on how the cooler fits (which again depends on what motherboard I pick), but I can use the drawings here to (mostly) figure that out. This design even leaves me the option to add an LP GPU if I should want/need that down the road, which is a major bonus (although I'd likely strip its fans/shroud off and mount some Noctuas for silence and improved airflow if I ever went down that road)

One question: what are the two things protruding from the bottom side panel (closest to the GPU) in the drawings? The ones about 1/5 in from each end of the panel, "touching" the fans in the bottom right illustration). Some sort of standoff?

I'm just really happy I discovered this design, as it's pretty much exactly the kind of layout I'd figured out that I needed :)

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I'll just add that to the order when I buy my PSU :)

I would check to see if the PSU manufacturer includes these cables with the PSU, as you may find you don't need to order them seperately. The HDPLEX 300w AC-DC is supplied with the C14 chassis mount connector and wires.

One question: what are the two things protruding from the bottom side panel (closest to the GPU) in the drawings? The ones about 1/5 in from each end of the panel, "touching" the fans in the bottom right illustration). Some sort of standoff?

Those are the M3 Standoffs (6mm) for mounting a HDPLEX DC-ATX. They clear the fans or GPU by a few mm. That side panel can be swapped to the other side of the case if the standoffs get in the way, as you can see the opposite side to the GPU has a few more mm clearance.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I would check to see if the PSU manufacturer includes these cables with the PSU, as you may find you don't need to order them seperately. The HDPLEX 300w AC-DC is supplied with the C14 chassis mount connector and wires.
MeanWell AC-DC PSUs are intended for industrial and other embedded designs (and are only really sold by parts suppliers targeting these markets), so they don't come with any cabling whatsoever. Given how cheap and common C14 connectors are, this isn't a problem (although I'll likely have to brush up on my soldering skills!). There's a whole thread over in the Hardware subforum dedicated to how to use these PSUs, so I'll probably manage :)

Those are the M3 Standoffs (6mm) for mounting a HDPLEX DC-ATX. They clear the fans or GPU by a few mm. That side panel can be swapped to the other side of the case if the standoffs get in the way, as you can see the opposite side to the GPU has a few more mm clearance.
Great, thanks for clearing that up :)

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
The more I see the more I want this to replace my HTPC, even though I recently did a bunch of mods/upgrades to the case.

I paid K888D a visit yesterday and talked him into letting me buy a HT5 off him before he shipped off the stock to Overclockers UK. As soon as I saw one in the flesh I had to have one lol.
So many build options with it, it's really well designed and they do look incredible, pictures don't honestly do the case justice.
We made up an all matt black version with an extra smoked top panel and Walnut front on it, some sexy shit lol.
Can't wait to get some free time to do a build in it :)

I've witnessed first hand the manufacturing process for his cases, and I can tell you the the quality of what he makes is very, very good. All his cases are truly bespoke, I shit you not!!
"The Devil is in the Details" as they say, and there is a lot of design and engineering skill gone into his cases that is not at first apparent for something that "appears" to be simple ;)

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
We made up an all matt black version with an extra smoked top panel and Walnut front on it, some sexy shit lol.
That is pretty much exactly the colorway I'm drooling over planning on ordering. The matte black finish in the photos looks amazing.

Yet another question: does anyone have any experience installing internal WiFi antennas (like these) in a case like this? Given the case material I'm assuming it could work, but on the other hand there'd be zero RF shielding between the guts of the PC and the antennas. Then again, there wouldn't be that for rear I/O-mounted external ones either, with a plastic case.

Reactions: K888D

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I paid K888D a visit yesterday and talked him into letting me buy a HT5 off him before he shipped off the stock to Overclockers UK. As soon as I saw one in the flesh I had to have one lol.
So many build options with it, it's really well designed and they do look incredible, pictures don't honestly do the case justice.
Can't wait to get some free time to do a build in it :)

I've witnessed first hand the manufacturing process for his cases, and I can tell you the the quality of what he makes is very, very good. All his cases are truly bespoke, I shit you not!!
"The Devil is in the Details" as they say, and there is a lot of design and engineering skill gone into his cases that is not at first apparent for something that "appears" to be simple ;)

Thank you, it was an absolute pleasure to meet a fellow SFF community member and share some of our experiences. Thanks also for bringing along your Lone L4 case, it was nice to finally get to see one, it looks even better in the flesh.

Looking forward to seeing what you build into your HT5!

Yet another question: does anyone have any experience installing internal WiFi antennas (like these) in a case like this? Given the case material I'm assuming it could work, but on the other hand there'd be zero RF shielding between the guts of the PC and the antennas. Then again, there wouldn't be that for rear I/O-mounted external ones either, with a plastic case.

I've used these types of antennas before, as you say they can't be used inside a metal PC case as the chassis blocks the signal. You can however install them behind a plastic shroud on the outside of the case.

In my experience these types of antennas don't perform as well as the traditional cylindrical antennas, unless you find a really high quality one that are quite long in length. For instance the small square ones aren't much good, they will handle web browsing and some light media streaming, but the connection can be flakey and limited in range.

The one you've linked does actually look pretty decent and may work quite well. My experience with these types of antennas has been hit and miss though.

The HT5 does have 2 dedicated cutouts on the rear panel for accepting traditional PC Antennas, the holes are compatible with THESE types of antennas and pigtail cables.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Sneak peak of a Ryzen 2400G build in the HT5:

More details and photos soon!

One thing I can say is that the Gigabyte GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI motherboard is not a great choice for a brickless build, the 24-Pin ATX connector is not compatible with Direct Plug DC-DC power supplies as the PCB/heat sinks foul on the RAM slots.

I would recommend picking an ITX board that has the 24-Pin ATX connector along the front edge of the motherboard for maximum compatibility.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
I would recommend picking an ITX board that has the 24-Pin ATX connector along the front edge of the motherboard for maximum compatibility.

Do you mind to nominate a couple of the best mobos, considering your apointment?

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
I have one of these cases and while so far I've only "test fitted" some components. The ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac is one of the better choices for an APU build. I've had no clearance issues using it with a HDPLEX 160w direct plug or the KMPKT Dynamo mini.

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
are dimensions on your site correct for this model? It says 350mm of depth, but judging by photos it seems to me unlikely, as miniITX is 170mm and there isn't so much space leftover in front of it... Am I wrong?

Last edited: