LAN Setups

MJVR1

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
So I went to friends house to play video games. I brought my S4 with me since i wanted to play some local coop and we had fun. However, it was a pain to bring my set up to my friends house. I had to bring several power bricks, a monitor with a clumsy stand, a bigger then necessary keyboard and so many wires. It took me a while to get everything properly set up. So I wanted to see what kind of advice you guys got. I know several of you are old school gamers with lots of experience at Lan parties so be sure to chime in.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Just have a kit ready. I have a box with a bunch of power cables, power strips, LAN cables, an old keyboard and mouse (backup), a spare mouse pad, etc.
I have a second monitor with built-in PSU and a handle, making it easier to carry. I'm even making a dedicated LAN rig with the LZ7 case so I can leave everything except peripherals (optional) at home. But the key word is redundancy: I used to also need to pack everything up when I didn't have anything spare. Now I keep everything that I upgrade peripheral-wise and put it in my LAN box for easy deploy.

Reusable zip ties or velcro straps also help with keeping cables you leave or take with you, tidy.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Short cables help. That way they don't get easily tangled in the bag and are quick to pull out and get connected up. Wireless components with dongles you can leave plugged in further help ease the set-up, if you're alright using them.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
That's what I was thinking. I am going to do exactly that with my first S4 (Orangulan) once I get the HDPlex 160 Plugless. The only decision you have to make is whether to get the Gigabyte allow profile and mount the HDPlex AC-DC to the bottom of the case or to use an extra short card like the eVGA and mount to the front of the case. I'll be doing the front mod because I bought the eVGA before the LP was available, but the Gigabyte version of the mod means you don't need to mod your case quite as much.

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
You could make an aio using your s4... it might sound wierd but look up the tek syndicate ipad retina display mod (now on Level1 techs i believe, might be on critTV, dont know if wendell or logan have the rights to the video).

You could use a similar system to attach a screen to a small arm and use that as your monitor. The ipad retina could be powered over usb (i believe, dont hold me to that) or you could optionally go for a usb monitor (they have some 2-3ms monitors that are good enough for gaming at a LAN).

From there you could look into get a mini keyboard (10keyless and 60% keyboards) to use instead of your regular setup. For sound you could get folding headphones that fit in a small carrying pouch and get a modmic if the headphones dont have a mic. Lastly find a bag that can hold your s4 w/ portable monitor, the power supplies, your mini keyboard and mouse, and get a flat LAN cable as they are generally easier to shove in a bag without tangling.

I was actually going to make something similar for a friend but he was short funding lol. We were going to mount triple ipads to an S4 and use one of my nanos lmao. but $600 on the screens+boards and then getting an S4 and figuring out how to power the nano was turning into a big hassle lmao.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ceros_X

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I'd personally go with wireless peripherals where I can to reduce the number of cords, and a TKL keyboard is good for travel. I got a magicforce, and while the lack of F keys and ` also being Esc is starting to drive me crazy, it's portable, and is a pretty good board. I'd also avoid stuff with bricks; it's much easier to each the size increase of a proper internal PSU that fiddle with a power brick for a tiny systm when you move it all the time if the places you move it between don't already have bricks there (and for a similar reason, monitors with internal PSUs are beneficial)

If you don't mind, you can also look into a case that might attach to the VESA mounting on the back of the monitor.

Reactions: Kmpkt

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
If you are willing to debezel a 21.5" monitor you can fit it into the lid of a Nanuk 935:

https://www.nanuk.com/nanuk-935-2/

I've got one of the Samsung 22" Freesync monitors I am planning to do this with in the not too distant future (when kids don't take up absolutely all of my time). I've looked for a 1080p monitor that is 11.3" or less so I don't have to debezel, but it doesn't seem to exist.

The Nano 935 will PERFECTLY fit an S4 mini, mouse, keyboard and headset between its two layers of pick and pluck foam.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
You could make an aio using your s4... it might sound wierd but look up the tek syndicate ipad retina display mod (now on Level1 techs i believe, might be on critTV, dont know if wendell or logan have the rights to the video).

I did a complete build inside a Pelican case (much smaller than a Nanuk 935 lol, that ain't a SFF case! but no room for keyboard).

MJVR1

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015

You could use a similar system to attach a screen to a small arm and use that as your monitor. The ipad retina could be powered over usb (i believe, dont hold me to that) or you could optionally go for a usb monitor (they have some 2-3ms monitors that are good enough for gaming at a LAN).

From there you could look into get a mini keyboard (10keyless and 60% keyboards) to use instead of your regular setup. For sound you could get folding headphones that fit in a small carrying pouch and get a modmic if the headphones dont have a mic. Lastly find a bag that can hold your s4 w/ portable monitor, the power supplies, your mini keyboard and mouse, and get a flat LAN cable as they are generally easier to shove in a bag without tangling.

I was actually going to make something similar for a friend but he was short funding lol. We were going to mount triple ipads to an S4 and use one of my nanos lmao. but $600 on the screens+boards and then getting an S4 and figuring out how to power the nano was turning into a big hassle lmao.
I wanted to do this with the GAEMS monitor stand Josh demonstrated a while back. $250 for a monitor stand is a hard pill to swallow though. I'll have to research other options or consider the DIY route.

I'd personally go with wireless peripherals where I can to reduce the number of cords, and a TKL keyboard is good for travel. I got a magicforce, and while the lack of F keys and ` also being Esc is starting to drive me crazy, it's portable, and is a pretty good board. I'd also avoid stuff with bricks; it's much easier to each the size increase of a proper internal PSU that fiddle with a power brick for a tiny systm when you move it all the time if the places you move it between don't already have bricks there (and for a similar reason, monitors with internal PSUs are beneficial)

If you don't mind, you can also look into a case that might attach to the VESA mounting on the back of the monitor.
Yeah I wanted to get a wireless mouse. My corsair mouse was a pain to deal with. The new G403 wireless by Logitech is supposed to be awesome. Apparently some pro gamers used it to win a high level competition. That's pretty impressive for a wireless mouse. For keyboards, the magicforce on massdrop.com looks pretty cool with those type writer key caps.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
I have been looking at using a Dell Optiplex AIO monitor stand. They have a vesa mount for a monitor, a place on the back for a sff pc and some even have a handle. One could add a handle if not. Ebay has plenty of variety and pricing. I believe HP and others have models as well. Merge the pc,monitor with this and wrap your cords around the base. Then pack the KB ,mouse, headphones etc in a bag with a shoulder strap. Still bulky but one person can manage. Also your existing rig may work.

I went with the lan case strap back in the day for the pc and of course 3 trips to the car for the duffel bag full of peripherals and let's not forget that 19in Sony Trinitron CRT!

Reactions: Ceros_X