LAN peripherals?

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Hey friends,

The main motivation for migrating my daily driver/gaming PC to SFF is so that it'll be easier to bring my rig to LAN parties. I don't go to LANs much and I don't normally go to big events, but small LANs are how my friends from back in the day get together when they come back home for holidays or whatever. So, having to worry about theft or anything like that isn't a real concern.

I'm trying to figure out what accessories are the most efficient or pragmatic for transporting with me to and from LANs, ideally in as few trips as possible without being cumbersome. Do you have any suggestions for:

• Monitors? I'd like to be able to bring two with me without it being a huge ordeal but I'm not sure how to accomplish that. I feel like there's got to be a capable VESA-based solution but I haven't found it. I'm envisioning folding the screens of the monitors together in an attempt to protect them a little better and using the stand as a handle for carrying the two displays. Obviously lower response time and higher refresh rate are preferred, but they're probably not worth spending more than ~$200 on each monitor that will get lugged around.
  • Keyboards? I'm a fan of mechanical switches, typically of the 'Brown' (have enjoyed both Cherry and Gateron) variety. I don't personally mind having a numpad but it is mostly wasted space at a LAN.
  • Mice? I really enjoyed having a Razer Naga Epic, but the build quality was pretty crap. The left mouse button eventually gave up and so did the battery. Anyone know if they've improved over the years (It was probably 2012/3 I had one)? I have a Roccat Nyth, but its shape is a little off to me, I can't pick the mouse up without pressing the closest macro button and that grinds my gears when it happens. I really miss having a wireless mouse.
  • Cable clutter? Any efficient methods for minimizing and managing my cables?
Besides that stuff, are there any gadgets or accessories that you folks really like? Are there any portable tables or chairs that have changed your life? I got these fold-up chairs and people liked them a lot more than any other fold-able chairs at the last LAN. (Apparently it was way back in 2015 I got them and they've held up totally fine.)

Reactions: Phuncz

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Those are interesting questions, but most don't have good answers. For keyboards, the solution is obvious. Get a small keyboard. Take a look at TKL, 75%, 60% and 40%, think about which keys you actually use on your keyboard and maybe ask on reddit /r/MechanicalKeyboards for advice. Also check out the SFF Keyboard thread on here.

For mice, I wouldn't compromise comfort for size. I love large mice and they don't take up much space, so just take your usual mouse with you when you're going for a LAN. If we're talking about EDC mice that you have in your bag all the time, then I'd recommend the Microsoft Arc or Arc Touch.

Monitors don't have a good product-to-buy solution yet, but you can make your own SFF monitor with a laptop screen and a fitting controller. I liked this tutorial a lot, but didn't actually build one myself yet:

Again, I wouldn't want to compromise size, a nice 18" screen is in order if you want to play on it, and ideally you'd find a way to make it height-adjustable. As I said, there's no ready solution yet. I really want to make a product like this at some point, but right now there's no time for that.

Well and for cable clutter, I would recommend you either learn to live with it, or buy peripherals with either detachable wires or wireless functionality in the first place. Then you can get all your cables, organise them in a few bags and that's that. No tangling of mouse with keyboard wire or stuff like that.

If you then get a flat SFF case like the Node 202 for your PC, you can carry pretty much everything in a single trip, no problem. For me, everything except the monitor fits into one bag, and I carry the monitor under my arm. LANs have never been so easy to go to.

Reactions: Phuncz and zovc

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Thanks a lot for the reply. That monitor hack video is especially awesome. For a lot of projects I've been thinking about!

I don't have any laptops to salvage, but I'm going to have to start researching laptops that had good displays (and DisplayPort out) and snag the required parts. Building my own casing/frame for the basis of the display opens up a lot of opportunity to hack some sort of portable design... VESA-based or not!

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Great, make sure to post a thread when you've started working on this!

One main question, just because I'm scared of doing something really dumb. This looks like the right kind of 'screen' I should be looking for, but I just want to make sure: is there any particular screen replacement 'part' I should be looking for? Is there any way to verify that screen's refresh rate or response time or whatever else?

...is there a good way of hunting down good candidate products? I suppose sticking to more mainstream manufacturers (like Dell/Alienware) would lend to having more readily available parts.

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
Keyboards : Go smaller. 60% is usually more than enough for popular games

Mice : Just use what you like, no point in going smaller on what is the smallest component in most setups

Monitors : 4 options. Make one like the tutorial above, Use a USB monitor (some only have a 1-5ms delay, which is good enough for most cases), or buy a smaller monitor, or mod your case to have a monitor built onto it.

Cables: Place your components how you like them on a desk and then just cable tie everything that can be unplugged from both ends. This way when you go to take it apart and store it/travel with it you only have to deal with 1 bundle of cables instead of a lot of seperate cables and you wont have to do any cable managment because you already did that when you put the cable ties on.

Reactions: iFreilicht and zovc

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Cables: Place your components how you like them on a desk and then just cable tie everything that can be unplugged from both ends. This way when you go to take it apart and store it/travel with it you only have to deal with 1 bundle of cables instead of a lot of seperate cables and you wont have to do any cable managment because you already did that when you put the cable ties on.

That is actually a pretty cool idea, Maybe I should try it out some time. If you leave stuff at home (second monitor for example) you have to make sure to not put its cable into that harness, though.

...is there a good way of hunting down good candidate products? I suppose sticking to more mainstream manufacturers (like Dell/Alienware) would lend to having more readily available parts.

Eh, not really. Just search for laptops that fulfil your requirements, then see which have replacement screens available (make sure to check AliExpress, they have loads of stuff you wouldn't find on amazon) and then see whether you can find controller boards. Normally you can also write to the support of a manufacturer and say that your screen broke and whether you can get a replacement. You'll have to pay for it, but you will know that it's a genuine one. Not that that really matters, most replacement screens on AliExpress are straight from the factory, but if you want peace of mind, it might be worth paying the extra price over the one from China.

Just make sure you can get a controller-board for a specific screen before ordering it.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
OH! Here's something that might interest you folks regarding cables! I actually got some of this stuff for work to tidy things up:

BlueLounge has a bunch of products like this, so check their site out. But specifically their Soba is great for tidying wires up. I found them for half price on Amazon (sold by BlueLounge, actually) so definitely look around before you buy anything.

Reactions: Phuncz and jtd871

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Well, that's pretty much cable sleeves with funny plastic bits. Not to discourage you from getting it, it actually seems quite fairly priced if you want a bit of additional comfort and better looks over velcro cable sleeve.

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Keyboard: The new Vortex Core keyboards just came out today and there is even a version that uses your preferred brown switches.
That keyboard takes SFF to the extreme and PBT Keycaps (vs ABS) make it a one hell of a durable keyboard for Lan Parties.

Also, I would absolutely love to see a case mod that included a 8/16 port gigabit switch that everyone in the room connects to.

Reactions: zovc

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Well, that's pretty much cable sleeves with funny plastic bits. Not to discourage you from getting it, it actually seems quite fairly priced if you want a bit of additional comfort and better looks over velcro cable sleeve.

The plastic bit is a "key" that you use to open or close the sleeve. It's possible to peel the sleeve open with your fingernails but it's actually sealed fairly well. As far as diameter, it'll get cramped with two thicker cables (like your typical power supply cable), but it can comfortably fit four or more smaller cables (like your typical mouse/keyboard cable). I would say I wish it "felt" a little more premium but I think that's highly preference-based, the material itself is fairly durable (and is actually braided), but it feels papery and for whatever reason that puts me off.

Edit: To clarify, that plastic piece doesn't stay on the Soba, it's only there when you're opening/closing it.

I forgot I had seen a review the Vortex Core (I think?) I remember thinking the split space bar was an awesome touch!

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
The Vortex core isn't the first 40% to do that, but it's certainly one of the more accessible ones by now and I think the price is hard to beat as well. Maybe you've seen a review of the MiniVan. Looks very similar and stirred up a lot of hype over the last few months.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
The Vortex core isn't the first 40% to do that, but it's certainly one of the more accessible ones by now and I think the price is hard to beat as well. Maybe you've seen a review of the MiniVan. Looks very similar and stirred up a lot of hype over the last few months.

Just looked it up, it was randomfrankp's review of the 0.01 Z70. After the review I was pretty much sold, but I wanted to compare to similar options. The Vertex Core and the MiniVan are two good options to compare to.

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
I've long been a fan of the MiniVan but it has that slim bezel around it that the Core doesn't have.
For me, I think most of my draw towards the MiniVan is my love for the LightCycle and Chocolatier keycap sets that are offered.
I hope the Core will get that same kind of love but unfortunately, I use my numpad too much to switch to a 40% (as much as I would like to have a smaller keyboard).

In my head, this is how I classify the two:
- For someone who likes to tinker and code, wants something to build and mod, that is ever so slightly larger, the MiniVan is perfect.
- For someone who wants something that works out of the box and is as small as can be, I think the Core takes the cake.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Make sure to check this thread and the threads linked from it, I've done the laptop screen to monitor conversion and I believe @HeroXLazer is also working on a smaller 4k version.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
I use my numpad too much to switch to a 40% (as much as I would like to have a smaller keyboard).

I've been considering getting a separate numpad and maybe even a macro-pad similar to those old janky Razer ones. Honestly I really like the idea of a 'numpad' with a control stick to be used by the thumb but no one has executed on it well (and to get ubiquitous driver integration like xinput did is hard for a non-microsoft manufacturer)...

If you really want a small keyboard and want to keep your numpad, you could always separate them. I like the idea of being able to put the numpad wherever I want, either to the left of my keyboard (no mouse there) or on the other side of my mouse.

The main reason I haven't switched to a setup like this is because I don't feel like hacking around with the ergonomics and 're-learning' to be efficient at the moment.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Just looked it up, it was randomfrankp's review of the 0.01 Z70. After the review I was pretty much sold, but I wanted to compare to similar options. The Vertex Core and the MiniVan are two good options to compare to.

That looks extremely interesting, a 65% with a split spacebar, haven't seen that before. I was actually thinking about making a case very similar to that for my next keeb. Not a fan of the large radius on the outside, though.

I think you can't really compare a 40% to a 65%. A 40% is not only missing the number row, but is usually also one or more columns narrower which means you have to find new spots for the =\[];'./ keys. A 65% on the other hand also offers a dedicated arrow cluster and part of the nav cluster in the rightmost column. You should first make up your mind which formfactor to go for and then see which boards are available in that size. 60% is a good point to start, because you can get a feel for what you're missing but it's not very hard to get used to. To make a 40% effective, you need to experiment quite a bit to find a layout that suits you well, and that can be frustrating, especially when coming from a TKL or Full-size.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
Hey friends,

The main motivation for migrating my daily driver/gaming PC to SFF is so that it'll be easier to bring my rig to LAN parties. I don't go to LANs much and I don't normally go to big events, but small LANs are how my friends from back in the day get together when they come back home for holidays or whatever. So, having to worry about theft or anything like that isn't a real concern.

I'm trying to figure out what accessories are the most efficient or pragmatic for transporting with me to and from LANs, ideally in as few trips as possible without being cumbersome. Do you have any suggestions for:

• Monitors? I'd like to be able to bring two with me without it being a huge ordeal but I'm not sure how to accomplish that. I feel like there's got to be a capable VESA-based solution but I haven't found it. I'm envisioning folding the screens of the monitors together in an attempt to protect them a little better and using the stand as a handle for carrying the two displays. Obviously lower response time and higher refresh rate are preferred, but they're probably not worth spending more than ~$200 on each monitor that will get lugged around.
  • Keyboards? I'm a fan of mechanical switches, typically of the 'Brown' (have enjoyed both Cherry and Gateron) variety. I don't personally mind having a numpad but it is mostly wasted space at a LAN.
  • Mice? I really enjoyed having a Razer Naga Epic, but the build quality was pretty crap. The left mouse button eventually gave up and so did the battery. Anyone know if they've improved over the years (It was probably 2012/3 I had one)? I have a Roccat Nyth, but its shape is a little off to me, I can't pick the mouse up without pressing the closest macro button and that grinds my gears when it happens. I really miss having a wireless mouse.
Besides that stuff, are there any gadgets or accessories that you folks really like? Are there any portable tables or chairs that have changed your life? I got these fold-up chairs and people liked them a lot more than any other fold-able chairs at the last LAN. (Apparently it was way back in 2015 I got them and they've held up totally fine.)
Ebay. AUO 4k

Make sure to check this thread and the threads linked from it, I've done the laptop screen to monitor conversion and I believe @HeroXLazer is also working on a smaller 4k version.
I decided not to for the bare reason, I don't go to LAN parties.
Hey friends,

I should be selling a MiniVan soon once I fix it's USB port, but it's Cherry MX Clears.

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
If you really want a small keyboard and want to keep your numpad, you could always separate them.

Yea, I've been seriously considering it.
Ducky is about to release their separated numpad, the Ducky Pocket (video), that uses RGB lighting and Cherry MX switches and PBT keycaps AND it even doubles as a portable calculator (warning: butt shot).

It's currently available for preorder if anyone is interested.

Reactions: Phuncz