Prototype KMPKT Dynamo DC-12V

LjSpike

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 20, 2017
Actually, you know what'd be quite nice. a bracket so that the Dynamo Mini + Dynamo can be mounted together...

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I am planning to release them simultaneously. The Merge is the last piece being developed, but it should be fairly quick to do. If it's way behind, I might just release the Dynamo/Dynamo mini.

Also as far as mounting the Dynamo, there will be four threaded screw holes on the back (same with the newest HDPlex 300W DC-DC) so you can have holes on the mounting surface and then screw it into place. If that doesn't work then thermally conductive adhesive works great (or velcro is fine also). I don't think I'll be doing a bracket for it since really I can't see a point when you can mount it directly via the backplate. As far as mounting the Dynamo Mini, I'm not sure what you mean as it plugs into the motherboard directly.

LjSpike

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 20, 2017
I am planning to release them simultaneously. The Merge is the last piece being developed, but it should be fairly quick to do. If it's way behind, I might just release the Dynamo/Dynamo mini.

Also as far as mounting the Dynamo, there will be four threaded screw holes on the back (same with the newest HDPlex 300W DC-DC) so you can have holes on the mounting surface and then screw it into place. If that doesn't work then thermally conductive adhesive works great (or velcro is fine also). I don't think I'll be doing a bracket for it since really I can't see a point when you can mount it directly via the backplate. As far as mounting the Dynamo Mini, I'm not sure what you mean as it plugs into the motherboard directly.
Ah so the mini isn't connected to the motherboard by a wire but just directly plugs in?

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Ah so the mini isn't connected to the motherboard by a wire but just directly plugs in?

Yes that is how I took it. If you look at the previous posts he talks about the hdplex 160w which is a direct plug into the 24pin. You then chain from the 24 pin into this module for the additional power. So it will actually look like the hdplex 300 watt just without the 24 pin wires and you will have two units instead of one. It's a great idea.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
That's completely correct. Basically one of things this unit will do extremely well is reduce cable clutter in your case. You will go from the 24 pin connector and 8 pin EPS connector on the HDPlex 300W DC-DC (32 wires) to 6 wires from the Dynamo to the Dynamo Mini. You'll then have an additional 8 wires from the Dynamo Mini to your 8 pin EPS socket on the motherboard. These eight wires will only be about 10cm long or less in most cases. Additionally because of the placement of the PCIe connectors on the opposite end of the PCB from the motherboard power, cabling to your GPU shouldn't require running across your entire case. What I am hoping this ultimately does is renders wiring much cleaner and simpler in SFF builds. As an example if you look at a lot of S4 builds, there is a tremendous amount of cable clutter that no doubt affects cooling as well as making most cases just an extremely tight fit. This should be essentially eliminated using the Dynamo/Dynamo Mini combo.

Reactions: LjSpike

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Whenever you have time, adding the Dynamo Mini and Merge to the OP would be great (also with schematics, pin out... to allow future owners to start planning the Dynamo implementation).
A bit like a HDPLEX product page :)

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
So I'm finally in possession of my first Dynamo and Dynamo Mini samples and thought I would post them here. Photodump inc. Also these photos were taken on my kitchen counter in a rush, so please forgive the quality.

First off here's a shot of the Dynamo from the top:

Side:

Power in/out end:

And the opposite end where you can find the SATA header as well as two PCIe 8x headers:

And here are all of the relevant measurements (120mm x 47mm x 25mm). Please note that I plan to drop the heatsink ~3mm which will probably result in a net loss of ~1.5 - 2mm once the backplate is added on:

Next up the Dynamo Mini (AKA HDPlex DC-ATX 160W)

With backwards logo:

And the back side:

And again, all of the pertinent measurements (61mm x 45mm x 27mm). Please note that I plan the final thickness to be about 2mm less than on this prototype by thinning the heatsink:

And finally here is the HDPlex 300W AC-DC (Larry OK'd me showing this off):

And the measurements:

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Also if anyone has any suggestions for design chages or alterations of any sort, they would be greatly appreciated as this will be the last chance I have to change things before I order a batch of units. Cheers.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
They will be on the final PCB, but the prototype is unmarked. I believe the leftmost is in and the rightmost is out.

Reactions: Thehack

LjSpike

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 20, 2017
Perhaps simply including a little printed guide with the Dynamo showing how to connect it to the Dynamo Mini so novices can understand?

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yeah. I intend to do a youtube video as well as a small enclosed instruction document to go with the warranty sheet.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Right now the Merge is about a month out from being prototyped and ready to test, so it is the one device that would be holding release back. Ideally, I'd like to release them all simultaneously because while the Dynamo/Dynamo Mini combo will work without the Merge, I think it's a much more robust solution with it. That being said, if the Merge is going to add more than a month to my release timeline, I'll probably just be very up front about the upcoming Merge unit and that you don't have to have it to run a multi AC-DC solution.

Also I've arrived at what I think my pricing will look like (approximately) and would also like feedback from the community about that.

Dynamo Mini - 55 USD (Same as HDPlex 160W DC-ATX)
Dynamo - 75 USD
Dynamo + Dynamo Mini Combo - 120 USD

I don't know what the Merge is going to cost me yet, so I can't really comment on that. I can say that my goal is for the Dynamo, Dynamo Mini and HDPlex 300W AC-DC to come in under 200 USD (195 USD at present). For higher wattage applications, I would like to see the Dynamo, Dynamo Mini, Merge and 2x HDPlex 300W AC-DC come in well under 300 USD. I know this is expensive, but these are small batch units and as such, production costs are relatively high. Hopefully if the device line is successful, I can do larger batches in the future and bring the price down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

LjSpike

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 20, 2017
Right now the Merge is about a month out from being prototyped and ready to test, so it is the one device that would be holding release back. Ideally, I'd like to release them all simultaneously because while the Dynamo/Dynamo Mini combo will work without the Merge, I think it's a much more robust solution with it. That being said, if the Merge is going to add more than a month to my release timeline, I'll probably just be very up front about the upcoming Merge unit and that you don't have to have it to run a multi AC-DC solution.

Also I've arrived at what I think my pricing will look like (approximately) and would also like feedback from the community about that.

Dynamo Mini - 55 USD (Same as HDPlex 160W DC-ATX)
Dynamo - 75 USD
Dynamo + Dynamo Mini Combo - 120 USD

I don't know what the Merge is going to cost me yet, so I can't really comment on that. I can say that my goal is for the Dynamo, Dynamo Mini and HDPlex 300W AC-DC to come in under 200 USD (195 USD at present). For higher wattage applications, I would like to see the Dynamo, Dynamo Mini, Merge and 2x HDPlex 300W AC-DC come in well under 300 USD. I know this is expensive, but these are small batch units and as such, production costs are relatively high. Hopefully if the device line is successful, I can do larger batches in the future and bring the price down.
How much is shipping to the UK?

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I'm not absolutely sure yet. I am actually hoping that those prices may include shipping, but please don't quote me on that as I still need to sort that end out. I can tell you that I will have some units warehoused in Germany to reduce shipping costs and (I believe) eliminate VAT for European buyers.

LjSpike

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 20, 2017
I'm not absolutely sure yet. I am actually hoping that those prices may include shipping, but please don't quote me on that as I still need to sort that end out. I can tell you that I will have some units warehoused in Germany to reduce shipping costs and (I believe) eliminate VAT for European buyers.

I don't think VAT is eliminated if it comes from within Europe. VAT is simply applied to any good classified as being a "luxury" rather than an "essential". Although, it can get quite complex at times depending on who is buying it, and even just some specifics regarding the product.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
You can't escape VAT as a consumer if you live in Europe!

Anything sold to an EU resident has VAT applied to it at some point in the chain, either at the point of import or the point of sale to the end buyer. The rate of VAT is dependant on which country it is being sold out of (UK currently has rate of 20%). The VAT collected from the sale is then passed onto the local government by the importer/retailer.

If you are VAT registered and sell to a non EU resident then you do not have to charge VAT if you can prove the export.

At least this is my understanding of the system as a VAT registered individual!

Colinreay

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 28, 2016
Hey @Kmpkt, I have a quick question - In regard to the Dynamo Mini (and the HDPlex 160w by extension), how many mm does it overhang off the edge of the motherboard's pcb? Thanks!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
In regard to the Dynamo Mini (and the HDPlex 160w by extension), how many mm does it overhang off the edge of the motherboard's pcb?

14-16mm including the connector clip on the CPU/PCIe cables for typical placement of the 24-pin.

Reactions: owliwar