Enclosure K39 V2 Rear m.2 Question

gpaint45

Caliper Novice
Mar 1, 2020
Hello, I'm probably a bit late to this discussion. I have a K39 build with Ryzen 3950x in Eco Mode, Gigabyte RTX2070 Mini & Aorus X570i Rev.1 motherboard. Sadly my Crucial VLP went bad & I ended up having to buy a 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX ram kit, then had to replace the Noctua 120mm slim fan in my Alpenfohn Black Ridge with the smaller Noctua 92mm Chromax 14mm slim fan. This caused my 970 Evo Plus NVME SSD to overheat (over 85 degrees C), which I had to move to the front which is now running at 55 degrees C under load. I had to extract the little fan from the NVME shroud heatsink & screwed it on by itself over the 970 Evo Plus SSD. Hope this helps!

Reactions: BaK

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Hello, I'm probably a bit late to this discussion. I have a K39 build with Ryzen 3950x in Eco Mode, Gigabyte RTX2070 Mini & Aorus X570i Rev.1 motherboard. Sadly my Crucial VLP went bad & I ended up having to buy a 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX ram kit, then had to replace the Noctua 120mm slim fan in my Alpenfohn Black Ridge with the smaller Noctua 92mm Chromax 14mm slim fan. This caused my 970 Evo Plus NVME SSD to overheat (over 85 degrees C), which I had to move to the front which is now running at 55 degrees C under load. I had to extract the little fan from the NVME shroud heatsink & screwed it on by itself over the 970 Evo Plus SSD. Hope this helps!
Thanx for your input!
So if I understand you well, the 120mm fan of the CPU cooler was the reason your NVME disk at the back was staying at acceptable temps?
And that is no more the case with a smaller 92mm fan, probably because of less air circulation with the latter into the case?
Was your 120mm fan set at exhaust or intake?
And what about the 92mm? Did you check with the opposite orientation?

That should anyway imply that for a M.2 drive at the back of a motherboard, a SATA version is recommended when using a case with poor or no air flow.

gpaint45

Caliper Novice
Mar 1, 2020
Thanx for your input!
So if I understand you well, the 120mm fan of the CPU cooler was the reason your NVME disk at the back was staying at acceptable temps?
And that is no more the case with a smaller 92mm fan, probably because of less air circulation with the latter into the case?
Was your 120mm fan set at exhaust or intake?
And what about the 92mm? Did you check with the opposite orientation?

That should anyway imply that for a M.2 drive at the back of a motherboard, a SATA version is recommended when using a case with poor or no air flow.
Definitely not enough airflow switching to the Noctua 92x14mm Chromax Slim Fan. When I had the 120x15mm Chromax sandwiched in the Black Ridge, there was enough cooling to max my M.2 SSD in the back in the 70's deg.C. INTAKE is the better orientation for both fans. Interesting that for the 8 months since I built my K39 SFFPC, it's stayed relatively dust-free!

Reactions: BaK