Is this an okay build for a Node 202 and a transition into a S4 Mini in the far future?

Kenji

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
Hey guys,

my old Notebook finally completly died yesterday (RIP :c), but this forces me to finally transition over to an ITX build which I alway wanted to do.
Unfortunately I don't have a case yet, but I need to build it ASAP because I need it for a) University and b) the new Final Fantasy XIV Expansion on friday (XD).
So the plan is to get the smallest, fastest available case - the node 202 - and build a system in it which I can transition over into an S4 Mini whenever I would be able to get one of those awesome cases. :D (I am open for other ideas though!)

I am ordering in Germany and I tried to get under 900€ which I cant seem to get, but this is my current build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (€193.90 @ Caseking)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z270i GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (€169.00)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (€129.25 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (€181.83 @ Mindfactory)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Mini Video Card (€139.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Fractal Design - Node 202 HTPC Case w/450W Power Supply (€130.00)
Total: €943.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-10 19:34 CEST+0200

What do you think of it? Any ideas/tips to make it better and/or cheaper? :)
I am probably also gonna slap 2 case fans into it.

Greetings Ken

EDIT: Idiot me forgot to mention what the PC is supposed to be used for...
Mostly daily usage, for 1080p 60fps gaming, mainly e-sport gaming titles like LoL and overwatch. But also the MMO final fantasy XIV.
Would be nice to have some headroom though in case I want to grab a future triple A title and play it in 1080p 60fps at low to medium settings. :)
Also some programming work and Blender.
The possibility to have a 2nd screen running while playing to watch stuff on or 3d model would be amazing!

Last edited:

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
You could save some money by going with some slower speed memory (look for some DDR4-2400 with low CAS latency) and then go for the H270i Strix motherboard. You could then use the savings to possibly bump up the video card (GTX 1060?) and/or storage to a 960 EVO.

Reactions: Kenji and 3lfk1ng

Kenji

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
You could save some money by going with some slower speed memory (look for some DDR4-2400 with low CAS latency) and then go for the H270i Strix motherboard. You could then use the savings to possibly bump up the video card (GTX 1060?) and/or storage to a 960 EVO.
The MoBo suggestion is so great! I don't know I have not seen this thanks! :D It is this one, right?:
https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Asus-STRIX-H270I_1175285.html

The cheapest RAM of your catergory i could find only shaves 15€ off, is it worth sacrificing the speed?

Now for the saved money off the MoBo, I think an GTX 1060 3GB would put on 80€ again but would be a greater improvement for the whole System than the faster m.2? Especially since the board apparently has two m.2 slots, so i could just get a 2nd fast M2 whenever I want to without losing the use for my old one.
I hope my thought process is right here x)

Also thanks a lot for your help! :)

EDIT: Oh, I had one question for the cooler which I forgot to mention. I am not sure if I should go with the Cryorig C7 or the noctua NH l9i. Since the C7 does not fit the S4, but I assume it would cool better in the Node since it is bigger. But then I would have to buy the Noctua again when I get an S4 ><

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
The H270 chipset doesn't support overclocking of memory, so you can only run it up to 2400MHz. But, Intel processors don't benefit much from faster memory, anyhow, so it is better to put your money elsewhere.