Help me find an optimal small case for a Ryzen 7 server build

geekay

Case Bender
Original poster
Apr 13, 2019
Greetings, dear forum members.

This is my first post. Have spent several days in search for information, yet I apologize if a similar problem has been covered and answered before.

The plan is build a machine, which will be flown abroad and left running, remotely controlled while performing VM related tasks, 24/7.

The staff ready for purchase:

AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac
Ryzen 7 2700 w/some short cooler
32GB DDR4
1 TB M.2-2280

As there is no need for gaming, any videocard will do. At least one that is thin and low enough, yet not sure which is the smallest one.

My biggest problem here is the case, and thus psu as well.

There is no perfect case, of course, but let us assume there are two routes to go. One way is to go with a case similar to Lazer3D’s CG7 Cravo, which I find excellent, because of space optimization and it could probably be a good match for the build in question. Yet, this case out of my reach, both financially and geographically.

Another route is a case similar to Geeek A30, FD node 202, Silverstone mlxx, etc. These are great, as they are more affordable and easier to get a hand on. But the design decisions in many of those were based on the use of a dedicated GPU, imho, which makes them a bit bigger than needed.

Understandably, the case choice will also affect the psu choice. I must honestly admit though that solutions as picopsus, HDPlex, etc. do not instill a solid reliability feeling in me. Might be wrong about this, as I've never had experience or heard about such applications being used for workstation/server machines.

So the question is, what kind of case/psu solution could you recommend? Any input of any kind would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Greg.

Vlad502

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 4, 2017
Last edited:

geekay

Case Bender
Original poster
Apr 13, 2019
Last edited:
Reactions: Vlad502