Is the asrock x299e-itx/ac a safe bet?

O_and_N

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
So I finally have a 7980xe here on the table and was planing on going with the new asrock x299m motherboard,but on the back of my mind i still have from time to time that x299 mini itx thought.The coments of people using this cpu with the mini itx are so fiew and im not sure if its going to perform as good as a matx/atx motherboard without any special care and no overclock.Just a AIO like the cryorig a80?

On the other hand I saw this review:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11980/the-asrock-x299e-itx-ac-motherboard-review-mighty-mini/7

And in the blender rendering test was like 15 seconds slower than the same setup in a atx,and that was with a 10 core cpu.(sodim problems or the motherboard doesnt give enough power to the cpu??)

I dont want to get burned with the cpu loosing stock performance just because i was greedy for sff :confused:

Cheers guys.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Whilst they didn't overclock to get those results, such results are a clear indication that the X299 ITX limits the boost clocks a bit more than their larger counterparts - which is to be expected given the thermal limitations of the board. (Some of the competing boards have more mass in their VRM heatsinks than the X299 ITX board weighs in total!)

Whilst it's a 14 second difference, that's only 7%. Also, unless your use case is Blender, you may not see such a performance hit in regular, every day use. You may be able to tweak this out a bit too by setting a lower base voltage for the CPU (thus enabling more thermal headroom)

Reactions: Phuncz

O_and_N

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Thank you.So it was as i was suspecting.In my case it will be maya and other staff,but having in mind how much i payed for mainly maya and the cpu, i think it woud be better not to gamble with a 400+€ motherboard and expensive sodims just to find out im losing performance.

I think i will downsize max to that new asrock x299m extreme 4 to be on the safe side.The heatsink looks good too and will save 200€.
Do you think its a good choice/idea?

Cheers

Reactions: owliwar and Phuncz