Is a 160w safe for a cpu?

O_and_N

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
I am going to be building a new workstation in a week or so and plan on using a xeon(for the ram ammount).

So its all in one stuff>video editing,modeling,rendering and game dev(will have to finish my game on this new pc),and some gaming.

Leaving the myths about xeons im sure it will be a good performer.The motherboard will be the asrock x99 taichi or the asrock Fatal1ty X99 Professional Gaming i7(they look the same).So after reading the horror stories on asus on amazon it looks like asrock are the ones that offer the best xeon and ram ammount experience.(was hoping on the asus x99 deluxe 2 but now im leaving that option).

So here is the thing.There is a provider that is offering me a e5 2690 v4(14 core 2.6 ghz base speed/turbo 3.5) and a e5-2687w v4 (12 core 3ghz turbo 3.5).The price i will negotiate as we did business before.

The 2690 v4 is only 135w and the 2687 v4 is 160w. I think they perform the same as if im not mistaking we have to look at the turbo boost and not base clock.I thinks base clock is reached only if thermal trotle?I suspect they both run at the same speed on all cores but still if i chose the 2687w v4 im not sure in the asrock motherboard will handle the 160w over long therm of use.Will be using a nh-d15s in a well ventilated case(silverstone ft05)

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It's fine, people overclock X99 all the time and that can cause way higher power draw under load than 160W.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you will shorten the life of your CPU.

You might only get 9 or 10 years out of it...

My i7 920 D0 is the backup PC for guest gaming, and it started its life on Ln2 before being retired to 4.0Ghz for the past eight years.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Why a Xeon with a consumer grade motherboard ? The real difference between Xeon and Core I is the ECC memory support on Xeon (but that need a server grade motherboard).

Xeon E5 also supports multi CPU, with dual socket serverboards.

Modeling is single threaded, except some rare use cases. Rendering ... A dedicated rendering node would cost you less I think and will leave the workstation available while rendering.

Developpement ... ECC all the way over 14 cores. Wouldn't do any productivity without error correction, but that's my 2cents as a developer and former game dev / 3D artists.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Xeons offer different configurations that aren't available on Core-series. Especially with older processors (3 to 5 years) there are good deals to be found. @Aibohphobia scored a 14-core with HT for a good price, also considering there are no 14-core CPUs on the consumer or enthusiast level yet

Although if single-clock performance is important, there still isn't much better than an overclocked Core i7.

O_and_N

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
I did watch at the asrock rack motherboards and they look so poor in design.Someone told me that their top gaming motherboard shoud have similar features and more.The xeon was needed as i was going to be using 256gb(8x32) .The cores will go for rendering photogrammetry in agisoft photoscan but looking at it, agisoft will benefit more on gpus than that much cores.

Looking at this

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/1057

I think that a e5-1660 v4 shoud be a wiser choice???
As its similar to the i7 6900k shown in the example and will give me the ram freedom and save on cash.I7 is only up to 128gb.

Reactions: Phuncz