Inwin A1 - "Custom" Build

Mistercloudz

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 22, 2018
Did you ever try fitting the dark rock pro in this case? I already placed an sfx psu from Corsair in this case and plan on removing the Qi charger on the top.

Last edited:

plexabyte

Case Bender
Oct 2, 2017
I have not yet. I need to buy an SFX PSU to do that. I haven't had any issue with mine yet, fortunately.
Okay, I just got the tracking number for my replacement PSU. RMA process was easier than expected, but i did have to pay shipping to get it there. Fingers crossed.

CiscoKidd

Minimal Tinkerer
Mar 20, 2019
Just wondering how loud the stock "Power Man" 600w included sf psu is? Is it really junk. I have just bought this case and plan to put a custom bios tuned Power Color Red Devil RX480, Asrock B450ac itx, Ryzen 1700 w Team Dar DDR4 3200 C14 and stock Wraith Spire. I will have in intake and exhaust fan. My last question is I have seen comments that a Kraken X42 can be fit in the case but support at inwin says 120mm AIO.

I realize a solid air cooler will be better than any average AIO and it will also be more quiet. So if the wraith spire does not do the trick I am looking at the Scythe SCMG-5100 Mugen 5 Rev B as it appears to be THE best air cooler. I have ability to buy a like new used Gold Corsair SF600 unit but I dont want to unless I know I can modify to continue using the Qi charger as thats a feature I want but I also feel the case was overpriced but provides a psu I just dont want power issues. I also plan to plasti dip the base of my white case, red or a Black/White split

CiscoKidd

Minimal Tinkerer
Mar 20, 2019
@onlyabloke Im thinking about getting the InWin A1 case, but 600 watts, im worried isnt enough to run my system. Is there like a certain power supply that I have to get that will fit? Im looking at this one, but im not sure it will fit. Can you help? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073H3QPJW/?tag=theminutiae-20 Or would this work - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ALK3KEM/?tag=theminutiae-20

neither 750's you linked are SFX size they are too big, those are reg atx, I bought a Corsair SF600 which is itx size, snagged it cheap 1 yr old w receipt for $80. I am going to try the included psu first, since you can only run one gtpu it should suffice but a Gold rated name brand is always better. Whats psu you are planning to run along with cpu and how many case fans

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CGI5M24/?tag=theminutiae-20

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
General Update:

Upgraded the GPU to a 1660ti.

neither 750's you linked are SFX size they are too big, those are reg atx, I bought a Corsair SF600 which is itx size, snagged it cheap 1 yr old w receipt for $80. I am going to try the included psu first, since you can only run one gtpu it should suffice but a Gold rated name brand is always better. Whats psu you are planning to run along with cpu and how many case fans

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CGI5M24/?tag=theminutiae-20

So for the time being, I'm keeping the standard PSU that came with it. So far I haven't really had much issue with it. I can hear it, but it's not whining or anything and is just fan noise so it doesn't bother me yet lol.

The A1 supports a total of 4 fans so I have 3 Intake and 1 Exhaust.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
@onlyabloke Im thinking about getting the InWin A1 case, but 600 watts, im worried isnt enough to run my system. Is there like a certain power supply that I have to get that will fit? Im looking at this one, but im not sure it will fit. Can you help? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073H3QPJW/?tag=theminutiae-20 Or would this work - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ALK3KEM/?tag=theminutiae-20
What components do you have where you might consume more than 600W? Please don't say you're going off a PSU calculator - those are garbage. My system with a Ryzen 5 1600X, Fury X (that's a 275W GPU), water pump for my custom loop, four fans and a couple of drives tops off at 450W from the wall - that's around 400W internally when subtracting PSU losses. Any single GPU system can be run off a 600W PSU - even an 18-core i9 unless you clock the snot out of it.

Reactions: boingk and rfarmer

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
What components do you have where you might consume more than 600W? Please don't say you're going off a PSU calculator - those are garbage. My system with a Ryzen 5 1600X, Fury X (that's a 275W GPU), water pump for my custom loop, four fans and a couple of drives tops off at 450W from the wall - that's around 400W internally when subtracting PSU losses. Any single GPU system can be run off a 600W PSU - even an 18-core i9 unless you clock the snot out of it.
Nah no calculator. 95% of my decisions when it comes to these builds is aesthetics. I realize that with most components I will probably never utilize the full potential.

Also, I’m not the one who made that comment so I think your comments are a bit misdirected lol

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Nah no calculator. 95% of my decisions when it comes to these builds is aesthetics. I realize that with most components I will probably never utilize the full potential.

Also, I’m not the one who made that comment so I think your comments are a bit misdirected lol
Uhm, I never pointed any comments at you, I quoted a post in which you were tagged. I was quite obviously responding to the author of the quoted post.

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
Uhm, I never pointed any comments at you, I quoted a post in which you were tagged. I was quite obviously responding to the author of the quoted post.

Yeah that was a mistake on my part lol

I was just confused because you kept going and I was like....I must’ve missed something haha. Sorry mate.

CiscoKidd

Minimal Tinkerer
Mar 20, 2019
Has anyone figured a way to use an SF600 and still have ability to use Qi charging? I have an SF600 I scooped used but like new for cheap. However Qi charging is important to me.

I am also going to be putting a Kraken X42 into case as I see it has been done, so I decided to give it a shot , if problems I will go back to original plan of Scythe Mugen 5 Rev B. I would love to mount rad to the side panel if possible but I just don't think it will be possible with a full length gpu. Cant start building until I have everything in hand

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Has anyone figured a way to use an SF600 and still have ability to use Qi charging? I have an SF600 I scooped used but like new for cheap. However Qi charging is important to me.

I am also going to be putting a Kraken X42 into case as I see it has been done, so I decided to give it a shot , if problems I will go back to original plan of Scythe Mugen 5 Rev B. I would love to mount rad to the side panel if possible but I just don't think it will be possible with a full length gpu. Cant start building until I have everything in hand
The only thing I could think of is if you're able to determine the power requirements of the Qi charger and wire up an alternate solution yourself. For example, if it's 5V, I don't see why you couldn't wire up a custom Molex connector to the Qi charger. You'll have to do a bit of research though: hopefully the Qi charger has information printed on it that can give you a lead. It might also be helpful to find a wiring diagram of the Qi charger on the built-in PSU. Might be that doesn't exist but don't know till you try. (It would make sense for them to use a 5V one since there would be an existing 5V rail on the PSU. Just make sure you get your polarities right if you wire your own thing up)

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
The only thing I could think of is if you're able to determine the power requirements of the Qi charger and wire up an alternate solution yourself. For example, if it's 5V, I don't see why you couldn't wire up a custom Molex connector to the Qi charger. You'll have to do a bit of research though: hopefully the Qi charger has information printed on it that can give you a lead. It might also be helpful to find a wiring diagram of the Qi charger on the built-in PSU. Might be that doesn't exist but don't know till you try. (It would make sense for them to use a 5V one since there would be an existing 5V rail on the PSU. Just make sure you get your polarities right if you wire your own thing up)
Doesn't that charger run off a MicroUSB connector? If so, wouldn't it be possible to get an internal USB to female micro USB adapter? From what I've understood from reading reviews, the charger seems to run off the 5VSB rail from the PSU to allow it to work even when the PC is switched off. That will obviously not work when connected to something else, but other than that it would be really sketchy for them to not use standard USB wiring in the connector.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Doesn't that charger run off a MicroUSB connector? If so, wouldn't it be possible to get an internal USB to female micro USB adapter? From what I've understood from reading reviews, the charger seems to run off the 5VSB rail from the PSU to allow it to work even when the PC is switched off. That will obviously not work when connected to something else, but other than that it would be really sketchy for them to not use standard USB wiring in the connector.
Oh, is that so? For whatever reason, I thought it was hardwired. If it's micro-USB, then all the better.
Makes me wonder (dangerously close to off-topic) if there's a more universal way to add wireless charging to more cases or if there's something special about Inwin's implementation.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Oh, is that so? For whatever reason, I thought it was hardwired. If it's micro-USB, then all the better.
Makes me wonder (dangerously close to off-topic) if there's a more universal way to add wireless charging to more cases or if there's something special about Inwin's implementation.
I don't know (I don't own and have never actually seen the case), but that's what the reviews say at least. Someone here ought to be able to confirm or deny this.

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
I don't know (I don't own and have never actually seen the case), but that's what the reviews say at least. Someone here ought to be able to confirm or deny this.

the Qi charger pad that's mounted to the underside of the top is a simple Micro USB connection if I remember right (could also be a USB C). Originally when I was planning to remove the PSU, I was just going to route a standard cable to the back and plug it in to a slot.

Reactions: annasoh323

peteC

Case Bender
Mar 28, 2019
Hi man I just want to ask. Does this case have the normal I/O connectors that you need to connect to the motherboard?

I cant find the normal power switch cables that needs to go to the motherboard.

Skullkiller8

Case Bender
Mar 22, 2019
Nope. Didnt use a PSU calculator. I just like to have a bigger power supply in case I upgrade into the future. Im currently running my system on a 750w gold power supply.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Nope. Didnt use a PSU calculator. I just like to have a bigger power supply in case I upgrade into the future. Im currently running my system on a 750w gold power supply.
There's absolutely zero reason to do this - unless you enjoy wasting energy, that is, as going overboard on the PSU only means that you're shifting your power draw down into the lower ranges of the PSU's efficiency curve.

And, again, what are you going to upgrade to that requires a bigger PSU, when everything you could fit in that case can run just fine off 600W? Dual GPU cards aren't coming back, and while there are 250W CPUs out there, none of them are ITX.

Lastly: what you said wasn't that you wanted margins for future upgrades, you said:
im worried isnt enough to run my system

You're far better off relaxing and enjoying the 600W PSU - it's more than sufficient for anything you might currently have, and more than likely for any future upgrades in this case as well. The tendency towards overpowered PSUs is a remnant from the bad old days when PSU ratings were largely fantasy and you had to go overboard to ensure that it didn't die on you. A good rule of thumb for calculating power needs: TDPs of your parts/known power draws from reviews or experience added up, + 20-30W for the mobo, RAM, SSDs and so on, 15W each for any 3.5" drives, and +20-30% on top of this for safety and longevity. Anything beyond that, and you're consciously wasting money while simultaneously wasting energy. Not a good idea.

(for reference: this calculation (30% margin) means that for a system with no 3.5" drives, you have around 430W to play with between your CPU and GPU. That's enough for even an overclocked 9900K + 2080Ti under gaming loads (and the 30% margin means you'll survive power virus loads too). Sit back, relax, don't waste money on an overpowered PSU.