Inwin A1 - "Custom" Build

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
Hello again! This is probably about as "SFF" as I'll be getting for a long while. I decided to downsize from my NZXT H200i into an Inwin A1. I've removed the ATX PSU it came with so I can transfer the SFX PSU I have into it, hopefully. My only concern is how to get the wireless charger working again since the USB C cable that powers it was wired into the ATX PSU, so I need to figure that situation out. I'll also have to ensure I can hook the front I/O together again with the new PSU.

I also didn't like the clear base, so I took that outside and painted it with a few coats of matte black. Obviously, my BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 3 won't fit inside this and I wanted to move away from AIO coolers. My X52 wasn't bad, but the CAM software that it requires was. Instead, I decided to go all Cryorig and purchased the H7 Quad Lumi, of which I'll replace the RGB fan with another QF120 Silent.

All the fans will be powered and controlled by a Corsair Commander Pro (CCP). I'm still trying to figure out where I'm going to put it. The two fans on the bottom of the case are quite far from the other two, as a result there's not much cable play. The best location to put the CCP would be in one of the SSD slots, but I'd have to purchase an M.2 to take the spot of one of those SSDs to free up a spot.

I won't know until the CCP comes in and I can do some playing with it. I'm hoping the Inwin RGB LEDs will work with the CCP so I can actually use them. A bit worried to try as the last time I did I shorted the CCP and rendered it useless.

As for the case itself, it's beautiful! I'd rather have purchased it without the PSU but that's not possible. I do have a very very small dent on the back panel but seeing as I won't be looking at that side daily I'm not too concerned as of now. Might still email them and let them know in hopes of being able to get a discount on a new panel. I don't really care for how the front glass panel is attached as it doesn't use thumb screws but some weird push screws that expand to hold the panel in place. If I can figure out how to change that I might do it.

I won't know anything else about how it is to build in the case until I get the cooler and the CCP in and start transferring everything over. Hopefully it all works out!

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Looks good. One of my biggest complaints with the case was the clear base, looks much better matte black. :thumb:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
That whole front IO-attached-to-the-PSU business sounds both baffling (why not just put a SATA power connector on it?) and wildly impractical. Hope you get it working :)

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com

Bit of progress today. I'm taking my time with this build so I can avoid some of the mistakes I made on the H200i build. Messed with a couple layouts today and determined this was the best option for utilizing the CCP. Unfortunately, the LEDs that came in the base of the A1 are not compatible with the CCP, so I stripped them out and might be replacing them with compatible strips.

Shot of the backside and the cable management in progress. I'm slightly worried about transferring in my SFX-PSU as it does not have custom cables. I may have to use the included PSU unless I can get some custom ones soon. Obviously, I'm going to attempt it and hope it works, but I'm skeptical.

Mounting location for the CCP. I measured the specified length of my GPU and determined I have about two inches of space between the front of the case and the end of the GPU, so this should fit comfortably. Once the GPU is in, the fan connectors should be hidden for the most part, so I put the ketchup/mustard cables in the back, just in case.

The USB header plug for the CCP. Routed it under the fan for easier managing and hides it pretty well. The RGB for the cooler uses the same header and I don't believe I have two, so I might have to figure out how to route it back to the CCP or just forgo it completely for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: owliwar

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
You don't say which SFX PSU you are using, if it is the Corsair SF450/600 I got custom cables for mine from Aliexpress. Shipping takes awhile, about 30 days to the US, but the prices can't be beat. I have 2 different sets that I use in my Ncase and MI-6 and have had no issues with them. They are nylon sleeved rather than paracord which I actually prefer in SFF cases.

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
I'm an idiot and didn't realize the PSU in the H200 wasn't SFX. So I had to put the original one back in. Got it all hooked up, flipped the switch, lights came on, hit the power button and nothing. Going to take it all apart again tonight. 99% sure everything was hooked up proper. I'm thinking the front io might not be seated right.

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
Welp, it's done! I'm not sure what was wrong with it but I disassembled, reassembled and magically everything worked. Everything fits, although I think I need to redo the cable management in the back as the side panel over there fits very snugly. I have a few plans in the future, such as replacing the PSU with an SFX one, custom-length cables, and then seeing if I can swing a small monitor in there for temps and things. We'll see.

[/CENTER}​

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
Wow, changing the color of the bottom made a huge difference, it doesn't look cheap anymore, great pictures!

Hopefully inwin can take note of this, the only reason they made the bottom cheap clear plastic is for rgb... ugh

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
Only one more change. I was incorrect about my fan orientation, so I guess I learned something new today. Going to reorient a couple when I get home and see what that does for my temps.

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
Final Update for now, I think, pulled from PCPP because I'm too lazy to retype it.

"So it was brought to my attention that I oriented the fans wrong. After a brief feeling of stupidity, I fixed the fan setup. I know have two exhaust fans, one directly behind the CPU exhausting out the back, and one on the side by the GPU exhausting out the side. Everything else is now an intake fan. Temps are better now, and I'm surprised I didn't figure this out sooner.

I realized why the CPU RGB wasn't working, in the limited space I was working in I wasn't able to see that I hadn't plugged the cord in properly into the Commander. A quick readjustment and now everything works, I just have to use CAM to do it.

I also painted the ugly gray GPU cover I had a nice gloss black, so now it reflects some of the interior light around the case. To accent this a bit more, I covered the EVGA 1060 LED with some black electric tape to ensure only the lights I wanted visible would be so.

Final "mod" I made was to attach a 3M Hook to the side for my headphones. Would have liked to put it in front, but I'd have to cover up the case logo and I think it'd look funky if I did that."

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Welp, it's done! I'm not sure what was wrong with it but I disassembled, reassembled and magically everything worked. Everything fits, although I think I need to redo the cable management in the back as the side panel over there fits very snugly. I have a few plans in the future, such as replacing the PSU with an SFX one, custom-length cables, and then seeing if I can swing a small monitor in there for temps and things. We'll see.

[/CENTER}​

I need to put Tolkien on my desk too.

Memories.......

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Oh! Funny seeing your build here as I just came over from looking at it over at PCPP. I realized that what initially attracted me most to this case was... RGB.
Really, though, it was the fact that it had a similar layout to the NCase M1 while supporting more airflow and more standard components. I thought I might be able to accommodate the (some would add "much") larger footprint.

How does the Qi charger connect up on the inside? Is it a USB-C plug on the charger itself that you can disco from the PSU? I was about to say that you could use an extra USB header to USB-C adapter of some sort to restore functionality but then I remembered your fan hub probably eats up all leftover I/O headers.

Also, marking this to remember @rfarmer's link to the Corsair cables. Need to check that out later...

jbyrne046

What's an ITX?
Sep 26, 2018
I was searching for builds using this case and stumbled upon this. Great info and awesome build in general. I really like what you did with the clear base. Do you think there would be great improvement in quality if I swapped out the original light strip for the Corsair LED strips? I will be implementing this case (Black and White) for two Ryzen builds. After that, I will be trying out the Geek A30 for a travel PC. Once again, great SFF build!

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
Oh! Funny seeing your build here as I just came over from looking at it over at PCPP. I realized that what initially attracted me most to this case was... RGB.
Really, though, it was the fact that it had a similar layout to the NCase M1 while supporting more airflow and more standard components. I thought I might be able to accommodate the (some would add "much") larger footprint.

How does the Qi charger connect up on the inside? Is it a USB-C plug on the charger itself that you can disco from the PSU? I was about to say that you could use an extra USB header to USB-C adapter of some sort to restore functionality but then I remembered your fan hub probably eats up all leftover I/O headers.

Also, marking this to remember @rfarmer's link to the Corsair cables. Need to check that out later...

Hey sorry for the late reply. The charger is literally just a little USB plug. I think it's a USB Micro but it could be a C as well. I don't remember. It stems from the PSU though so if you remove it in favor of a smaller PSU, you'd have to get like a USB version and route it through the back to a USB slot.

I was searching for builds using this case and stumbled upon this. Great info and awesome build in general. I really like what you did with the clear base. Do you think there would be great improvement in quality if I swapped out the original light strip for the Corsair LED strips? I will be implementing this case (Black and White) for two Ryzen builds. After that, I will be trying out the Geek A30 for a travel PC. Once again, great SFF build!

Sorry for the late response! Are you going to post the Geeek Build on here? I've been interested in their cases for awhile but was always worried about the lack of reviews. I do think there would be better quality if you swapped out the LED strips since the ones that come with it aren't compatible with any other controllers.

Beautiful build!

Thank you!

Reactions: annasoh323

plexabyte

Case Bender
Oct 2, 2017
I have a few plans in the future, such as replacing the PSU with an SFX one, custom-length cables, and then seeing if I can swing a small monitor in there for temps and things. We'll see.

Did you ever switch the PSU? My PSU runs at 100% fan speed all the time, and I can't figure out why.