Invisible !

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Maybe it is on purpose but I doubt it: both "SFN" and "SFF Forum" don't bring you to this site on a Google or DuckDuckGo search.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I doubt we'll ever rank for "SFN", way too generic. SFF Forum will just require time as we start to get links from places.

Interestingly though, searching "HP sleeper build log" brings up @inflated_waffles build log on the first page of Google :D

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
At least for me, "sff forum" shows the site on the 2nd page of Google, and "small form factor forum" is now on the first page (though just barely) :)

BTW, smallformfactorforum.com and .net redirects here in case you're trying to quickly give someone the address and don't know if they'll remember the dash.

Edit: Woohoo! This was the 1000th post on the forum :cool:

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Nice, milestones achieved ! Two other search engines you might consider are DuckDuckGo (not selling and crunching your data) and Bing (standard with all things Microsoft).

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I believe DuckDuckGo just anonymizes other search engine results, mostly Google. I'm not worried about Bing because searching "Kimera Industries" brings up kimeraindustries.com as the first result in Bing, but it's only responsible for less than 1% of incoming traffic from search engines.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Hmm strange because I can't find this forum by searching "sff forum" on DuckDuckGo. Maybe it was like that in the past, but I've switched since the beginning of this year and it still shows a lot of difference. It would sound illegal to me to piggyback it like that.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
DuckDuckGo emphasizes getting information from the best sources rather than the most sources, generating its search results from key crowdsourced sites such as Wikipedia and from partnerships with other search engines like Yandex, Yahoo!, Bing, and Yummly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DuckDuckGo

I'm pretty sure they used to use Google though because you could use the !g modifier and it would display anonymized Google results in the search. Now it just redirects to the Google results page for that query.

But anyway, as the forum gets more content and is linked to from elsewhere it'll rank higher.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Woohoo! This was the 1000th post on the forum :cool:

Next step: 10,000!

Two other search engines you might consider are DuckDuckGo (not selling and crunching your data) and Bing (standard with all things Microsoft).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DuckDuckGo

I'm pretty sure they used to use Google though because you could use the !g modifier and it would display anonymized Google results in the search. Now it just redirects to the Google results page for that query.

Actually, of the two, it's Bing that's been caught using Google search results to bolster the service :rolleyes: DuckDuckGo has always supported !bangs that let you use them as an intermediary to check other search engines, but AFAIK they've never folded Google's results into their own.

The services they do use, they don't use all of the time, either - on their web interface you get disclaimers whenever any of their "partner data" is used (and who provided it), but I get the sense that they're relying on that as a fallback, and even then, they pick which of the fallback services has the best results for that particular query.

Hmm strange because I can't find this forum by searching "sff forum" on DuckDuckGo. Maybe it was like that in the past, but I've switched since the beginning of this year and it still shows a lot of difference. It would sound illegal to me to piggyback it like that.

It would be illegal if Google was robbed of their ad revenue, and I bet that's why DuckGoGo does redirects to Google's results page nowadays.

Anyway, as you'd expect, I don't find SFF Forum when searching for it. As Aiboh mentions, though, the only real way to fix that is to have more people link to you organically. And the only way to do that is to increase traffic and usage.