Ads on the SFN articles?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Just saw that there is now an ad in the sidebar of SFN articles.

I was under the impression that SFN didn't want to rely on ads to deliver their services, so I'm a little bit baffled by seeing this. It's not like they are extremely disruptive where they are now, but they certainly hurt the visuals of the site and I would like to be able to turn them off as a paying supporter, though I'm not sure how much effort that would take in terms of development.

Reactions: Soul_Est and QinX

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Although I've literally made the sponsor call-out smaller, I personally think it's a better solution for users for two reasons: one, it looks better (and the simplified sidebar as a whole emphasizes the page content more), and two, it mimics the more traditional format in which sponsor banners and/or ads are labeled as such. I'd very much like to know if you all agree with that sentiment, though.

I think that's a good path to take. Without the sidebar (which I - supporting your claims - never used), the ad gets more noticable without impeding my use of the website in any way.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Well if adblockers decide to block your sponsored first party ads, be sure to thank the third party ad serving companies for their offensive, intrusive, and sometimes dangerous ads that created the necessity for adblock in the first place.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I personally also use an adblocker (+ DNS blackhole) because of security and privacy reasons. My job challenges me to think about these topics regularly so it's also an excercise for me.