Are documents resources?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
The resources system we currently is great, I absolutely love that it exists, but I wonder how to go about PDFs of standard documents.

The PCIe CEM is currently not available except from the PCIe SIG themselves, but it is probably copyrighted material, so SFN can't host it. A lot of other information can be found on formfactors.org, but it would be nice to have a list of essential documents.
Other things like the thin mini ITX specification have to be searched for by other means.

Is there a good way to make this sort of information available in a centralised location?

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
If the PCIe CEM issue is copyright, then relevant portions could be recreated (using original value, as these cannot be copyrighted) without issue, i.e. redrawn diagrams are OK.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
One idea I had was to have a page in either the Resources area or the wiki with a list of links to documents like those.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Good idea about recreation of the documents, didn't think about the possibility of circumventing the problem that way. We only really need the mechanical part of the specification anyway.

Hm, the wiki seems like a more natural place for it, but it should certainly be findable in the resources area as well, maybe it could be added to the "useful resources" guide.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Portions of the PCIe CEM are referenced in some PDFs and Powerpoint slideshows. That's how I've done research for my own interest on the subject. I'll see what I can dig up. Alternately, somebody (me included) could create new graphics or CAD files from the diagrams in the publicly available portions of the CEMs and cite the appropriate references.

Edit: I've looked at my archived copies and found that they are copies of official slideshows presented at PCI SIG Conferences (2007, 2008 to be specific) and have language like "PCI-SIG Confidential" and "(c) PCI-SIG, All Rights Reserved" on each slide.

Last edited: