Ads on the SFN articles?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Just saw that there is now an ad in the sidebar of SFN articles.

I was under the impression that SFN didn't want to rely on ads to deliver their services, so I'm a little bit baffled by seeing this. It's not like they are extremely disruptive where they are now, but they certainly hurt the visuals of the site and I would like to be able to turn them off as a paying supporter, though I'm not sure how much effort that would take in terms of development.

Reactions: Soul_Est and QinX

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
There's the SFF Forum and the SFF website, I think those are seperate.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Being a news site, it'll get lots of viewers who aren't registered on the forum so it make sense to monetize that part of SFF Network the traditional way. In the long run I'd love it if we could rely solely on user subscriptions and not have to run any ads anywhere but for now we need to diversify.

There's the SFF Forum and the SFF website, I think those are seperate.

Correct, there currently isn't an easy way to disable ads on the news site for forum premium members. But if you're a premium member, feel free to run an adblocker on the news site if you'd rather not see the ads.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Just saw that there is now an ad in the sidebar of SFN articles. I was under the impression that SFN didn't want to rely on ads to deliver their services, so I'm a little bit baffled by seeing this. It's not like they are extremely disruptive where they are now, but they certainly hurt the visuals of the site and I would like to be able to turn them off as a paying supporter, though I'm not sure how much effort that would take in terms of development.

We've been experimenting with an ad on SFF Network exclusively since late January, about two weeks ago (emphasis on experimenting - this is more a curiosity than a permanent fixture, at least for now). We actually had a banner on the home page as well, about half-way down, but we found it too disruptive to the layout of the site and chose to nix it on those grounds. So the only ad on the whole site presently is the one in the sidebar when viewing an article.

There are a few reasons we're trying this out. For one, although we don't want ads on SFF Forum if we can help it (mostly because we currently can't conceive of a way to incorporate them without disrupting the aesthetics and usability of the site), with the news site, we do have a way to introduce an ad that is minimally disruptive - the sidebar. Practically all publications have ads, people who don't mind generally expect them, and people that do mind have ad blockers. The ad certainly doesn't improve the site at all, but we think it's about as tame as it gets, especially as we tweak the filtering to keep its content relevant and tasteful.

The more important reason we're experimenting with the sidebar ad is the one Aiboh mentions, though (emphasis mine):

...In the long run I'd love it if we could rely solely on user subscriptions and not have to run any ads anywhere but for now we need to diversify.

As SFF Network and SFF Forum continue to grow, some of our expenses will scale commensurately. Right now, the flow of supporter subscriptions is approaching our costs, but it will become increasingly more challenging to match running expenses with donations as the user base expands. Having a small flow of ad revenue that complements this income, and - most importantly - scales with increasing demand, would help to address this dynamic.

...In any case, as I mentioned, the ad is more an experiment than anything else. We're not sure if it will stay there because we need more time to tweak what ads are displayed, and see if the revenue they generate is meaningful. But we want an understanding of how it would work since it would essentially act as a hedge against the possibility of expenses outstripping donations - a scenario that's likely to come up eventually.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I generally block all ads because of the very real privacy and security issues, but since I've chosen to support instead, I doubt anyone would mind :)

Reactions: Biowarejak

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I generally block all ads because of the very real privacy and security issues, but since I've chosen to support instead, I doubt anyone would mind :)

We don't mind or care at all if anyone uses an ad blocker on any of the websites we run (nor should people feel bad about doing so). Enough people don't use content blockers whereby we likely aren't impacted all that much - and in any case, I'm pretty sure we all use ad blockers ourselves :p

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Being a news site, it'll get lots of viewers who aren't registered on the forum so it make sense to monetize that part of SFF Network the traditional way. In the long run I'd love it if we could rely solely on user subscriptions and not have to run any ads anywhere but for now we need to diversify.

Correct, there currently isn't an easy way to disable ads on the news site for forum premium members. But if you're a premium member, feel free to run an adblocker on the news site if you'd rather not see the ads.

That's true, I didn't think about the traffic differences betwen the news-site and the forum.
As James said, where it is right now, it is the least disrupting. I'm normally running the route of having my ad-blocker disabled and only enabling it when things get too intrusive to the experience, and I won't change course here.

Thanks to the Staff for giving such a clear statement on this, much appreciated! I understand this is an experiment for now, so I'll keep an eye on it.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Sure thing, and apologies that we weren't as transparent as we could have been. I think we just figured that it was a minor and ephemeral enough thing that it didn't need to be announced, but I recognize that we were probably a tad misguided in that :p We'll do better moving forward!

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Out of curiosity, what do you all think of the current ads on the sidebar when viewing individual articles? More relevant hopefully :)

And would anyone be opposed to ads on the front page?

I opposed front page banners back when we were using Google AdSense, but I thought the banner we ran for SilverStone's sponsorship of our Computex coverage looked quite nice and wouldn't mind more like that.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Any advertising we run will be curated, with the content approved by us, and the campaign run by us. This enables us to make sure that you only see what makes sense, no Russian brides or male body part enlargement pills here!

Reactions: VegetableStu

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The thing I hate most about ads, next to those that are hosted 3rd party and can be malware-loaded, is the shouty look using primary (Red, Green, Blue) colors. As long as they are mainly monochromatic in the background, they blend in much better with the website without going unnoticed. The current ProtoCase and HDPlex ads to me seem adhering to that.

Also, ad-blockers don't block 1st-party hosted ads, which I think is the way to go because of the reasons already stated.

Reactions: Kwirek

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
FYI, we made some changes to the site to make it clearer they were ads and not native content. But adblockers may block them now, so we'd appreciate it if you disable your adblockers for smallformfactor.net

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Any advertising we run will be curated, with the content approved by us, and the campaign run by us. This enables us to make sure that you only see what makes sense, no Russian brides or male body part enlargement pills here!

Male body part enlargement pills you say...I'm not interested personally, but I have this friend....I mean, I don't have a friend that ...I mean...

Reactions: Biowarejak

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Wait, you guys have friends ? How does one get a "friend" ? Is it a Russian Bride kind of deal where you have to pay ?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
FYI, we made some changes to the site to make it clearer they were ads and not native content. But adblockers may block them now, so we'd appreciate it if you disable your adblockers for smallformfactor.net

So, I've thought about this for a while now, and I'm not sure this was a good decision. The ads are hosted by yourself and 100% curated as you manually add them to the sites resources. Labelling them as ads so ad-blockers can block them benefits nobody. The advertisers get less views, you will get less money, and the ads are static and so unintrusive that even the person blocking them doesn't get a better experience or more privacy.

I think you should revert this change, even if its just to show how advertising is properly done.

Have you ever received a single complaint about the ads on your site?

Reactions: cmyk78

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
We actually tried reverting the changes as an experiment and it didn't help. So then I made some tweaks and they're not blocked again as of now :)

But it's a never ending arms race, so if it gets blocked again we probably won't keep trying to stay ahead of the filter lists since that's a waste of time.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
So, I've thought about this for a while now, and I'm not sure this was a good decision. The ads are hosted by yourself and 100% curated as you manually add them to the sites resources. Labelling them as ads so ad-blockers can block them benefits nobody. The advertisers get less views, you will get less money, and the ads are static and so unintrusive that even the person blocking them doesn't get a better experience or more privacy.

So, to clarify, what we did was to basically change the styling and text around the container where the sponsor banner is, in order to make it look nicer. I never liked how the sidebar looked, since the crude title bar and "recent articles" modules were (in my opinion) bulky and ugly and added a lot of visual clutter for very little utility. So I threw out the recent articles module entirely and updated the sponsor banner by spelling out SFF Network, and making the disclaimer itself less emphasized.

What triggered ad blockers to now detect and block this change had nothing to do with the aesthetic/text changes, but rather the fact that we were calling the widget class (that randomizes what banner we display) in a way that certain ad blockers noticed and decided to block.

We've since undone that, while preserving the new look, and ad blockers now no longer seem to block it.

That said, a few things (though these are all my personal opinion, not official dictum from SFF Network or Minutiae et al.):
  1. I don't care if you use an ad blocker. I personally use a content blocker myself, that incidentally blocks many (though not all) ads. My personal take on the matter is that a minority of users use content blockers, and our audience is so valuable that sponsors are happy to partner with us without the need for us to go pointlessly policing or ridiculing folks for using content blockers.
  2. Although I've literally made the sponsor call-out smaller, I personally think it's a better solution for users for two reasons: one, it looks better (and the simplified sidebar as a whole emphasizes the page content more), and two, it mimics the more traditional format in which sponsor banners and/or ads are labeled as such. I'd very much like to know if you all agree with that sentiment, though.
  3. SFF Network is fine as it is now, but it's a WP site atop a customized template, both of which were chosen because we could stand them up quickly. There will definitely be a point in time where we migrate to a better solution. There is a lot about the site, and about WP, that we frankly despise. Between now and then, though, I've been making occasional changes to the website in order to simplify, refine, and streamline.
Have you ever received a single complaint about the ads on your site?

Nope. We've been complimented a few times, though.