Prototype Introducing the Chimera CX2

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
that's a bit like asking to work over a week-long christmas vacation 😓

I like my day job and SFF stuff, so don't mind the work, I enjoy it.

As mention in the post above, I want to prioritize the more difficult, and in some ways, more challenging projects first.

In other ways, as an enthusiast, we are trapped by our enthusiasm and biases, so sheet metal and being a bigger case makes it less juicy compare to CNC and smaller. So the harder projects naturally absorbs my attention.

tedlas

Average Stuffer
Aug 18, 2015
I like my day job and SFF stuff, so don't mind the work, I enjoy it.

As mention in the post above, I want to prioritize the more difficult, and in some ways, more challenging projects first.

In other ways, as an enthusiast, we are trapped by our enthusiasm and biases, so sheet metal and being a bigger case makes it less juicy compare to CNC and smaller. So the harder projects naturally absorbs my attention.
Thank you for explaining to all of us. When do you expect to come back to NA/EU to continue working on this case?

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Thank you for explaining to all of us. When do you expect to come back to NA/EU to continue working on this case?

Depends on Covid, getting vaccinated and my deferred meeting from 2020 😄

I usually spend a few month a year in EU, most of my time in US, but 2020 is an outlier year, so I have been staying in Asia, and 2021 looks similar atm.

Last edited:

fedder

Caliper Novice
Feb 8, 2020
I wonder how hard it'll be to mod the top panel so it has airflow . I just got my IceGiant cooler for my Threadripper and with the 1000W sfx power supply out I could make a pretty good work station with a full power CPU 2 gpus +1 slot free for a capture card or somthing... I wish I could just pick what I want to do.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I wonder how hard it'll be to mod the top panel so it has airflow . I just got my IceGiant cooler for my Threadripper and with the 1000W sfx power supply out I could make a pretty good work station with a full power CPU 2 gpus +1 slot free for a capture card or somthing... I wish I could just pick what I want to do.
You will likely get more noise with top panel ventilated, you will also get more dust, but your temps might improve slightly, it’s a lot of work to mod for margin or negligible gains.

fedder

Caliper Novice
Feb 8, 2020
You will likely get more noise with top panel ventilated, you will also get more dust, but your temps might improve slightly, it’s a lot of work to mod for margin or negligible gains.
Ice giant recommends top exhaust since its a top exhaust cooler and I would agree with that. I also dont really turn my computer off so dust settling on the top isnt a problem.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Ice giant recommends top exhaust since its a top exhaust cooler and I would agree with that. I also dont really turn my computer off so dust settling on the top isnt a problem.

Are you trying to air cool a threadripper build?

Otherwise, other air cooler will do the trick.

fedder

Caliper Novice
Feb 8, 2020
Are you trying to air cool a threadripper build?

Otherwise, other air cooler will do the trick.
I am and it works great 85C at 25C ambient under 100% all core loads. Already have the Icegiant so id rather do a bit of modding if I need to eventually. Very unique and nice looking cooler even if its a huge pain to install it.

Reactions: thelaughingman

badluckbert

What's an ITX?
New User
Feb 23, 2021
I am and it works great 85C at 25C ambient under 100% all core loads. Already have the Icegiant so id rather do a bit of modding if I need to eventually. Very unique and nice looking cooler even if its a huge pain to install it.
I'm in the same boat but with a R9 5900X. The Ice Giant may be slightly overkill but it is such a unique AIO and looks amazing with Noctua fans on it. Wish I had known it would be incompatible with ITX boards before I decided to go SFF. The closest thing to what I can find that works is the Lian Li O11 Mini, which is still rather large for SFF.

fedder

Caliper Novice
Feb 8, 2020
I'm in the same boat but with a R9 5900X. The Ice Giant may be slightly overkill but it is such a unique AIO and looks amazing with Noctua fans on it. Wish I had known it would be incompatible with ITX boards before I decided to go SFF. The closest thing to what I can find that works is the Lian Li O11 Mini, which is still rather large for SFF.
Im still flip flopping between what cooler I want to use. Dynatron A26 works fine with some power limiting, a Corsair h115i with some noctuas, or the icegiant with some case modding. Going to be fun figuring out what to do.

tedlas

Average Stuffer
Aug 18, 2015
Hate to be that guy, but, another month has passed. Everyone still alive? I'm assuming status has not changed.

Really hoping that this case will be purchasable by next amd cpu release. My 4790k and it's motherboard are still holding on, even though it lost more than half it's lanes.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Hate to be that guy, but, another month has passed. Everyone still alive? I'm assuming status has not changed.

Really hoping that this case will be purchasable by next amd cpu release. My 4790k and it's motherboard are still holding on, even though it lost more than half it's lanes.

Made two kinds of <20L mATX/ATX case using CNC, and it’s the better product for most people. so want to do that this year.

CX2 is a sheetmetal design, I don’t want to do sheetmetal this year.

I don’t want to go off topic on this thread, I’m not going to post or comment on availability of other projects on this thread.

LegendsofMace

Average Stuffer
Oct 7, 2018
Made two kinds of <20L mATX/ATX case using CNC, and it’s the better product for most people. so want to do that this year.

I don’t want to go off topic on this thread, I’m not going to post or comment on availability of other projects on this thread.
If you happen to make a thread for those cases, please let me know! I'm definitely interested in purchasing.

Mykyta

Efficiency Noob
May 8, 2021
Hello mate,
I think you should definitely launch Chimera CX2 case as there will be a huge demand for the case like this.
Please let me know when are you planning to finalise the design an start the production. I am personally ready to pre-order it.
Kindest regards,
Myk

Mykyta

Efficiency Noob
May 8, 2021
Please let me know when are you starting Chimera CX2 production.
I am ready to pre-order this case.
Kindest regards,
Myk

sandster001

What's an ITX?
New User
May 11, 2021
I made this account to let you I’m interested in this design. Definitely exactly what I’m looking for as I move up to an atx motherboard from my nr200 itx build

chancenluck

Efficiency Noob
May 20, 2020

Thanks for the info, very much looking forward to whatever comes out of this.

Mykyta

Efficiency Noob
May 8, 2021

Hello wahaha360,
Please let me know whether you had any progress with Chimera CX2 project or it's equivalent?
Do you have a separate thread for this case? If yes, then please send me the link as I am definitely interested in ATX SFF case.
Your soonest response is highly appreciated.
Kindest regards,
Myk