Prototype Introducing the Chimera CX2

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Optimum Tech just did a review of the prototype, case looks promising but that handle has to go.
yeah the handle needs to change, especially with VRM towers becoming more of a thing

a few people in the comments didn't fancy the general idea for a handle, but personally I'd want to see if a handle is possible in any way, because I might need to have my next build flight ready (preferably carry-on). otherwise I'd have to dismantle and pack the parts individually, which is another kind of nightmare

the best-worst case is I'll get one without the handle and scour online for a geargrip LAN harness, but seeing how limited the availability is....

Reactions: patkaiser

Aki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 9, 2016
I've just seen the Optimum Tech video and just thought, that you might want to consider a bracket that allows installation of the SFX PSU on the bottom front of the case without interfering with the fan. That way it might be possible to install short pci-e cards instead of non.

bejeweledman

What's an ITX?
New User
Jan 18, 2020
It would be awesome if the final product can accommodate the right angled 24-pin ATX power port and 19-pin USB 3.0 header featured on Gigabyte X570 and Z390 Aorus Xtreme motherboards!

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
I've just seen the Optimum Tech video and just thought, that you might want to consider a bracket that allows installation of the SFX PSU on the bottom front of the case without interfering with the fan. That way it might be possible to install short pci-e cards instead of non.
I'd imagine that would be difficult ._. it'll block all the headroom of the PCIe sockets (maybe it won't even clear normal height reference cards)

an_Age

Average Stuffer
Nov 21, 2018
yeah the handle needs to change, especially with VRM towers becoming more of a thing

a few people in the comments didn't fancy the general idea for a handle, but personally I'd want to see if a handle is possible in any way, because I might need to have my next build flight ready (preferably carry-on). otherwise I'd have to dismantle and pack the parts individually, which is another kind of nightmare

the best-worst case is I'll get one without the handle and scour online for a geargrip LAN harness, but seeing how limited the availability is....

What about some sort of leather grip that attaches to screws at the top? If there's cutouts on the leather it can slide and lay fully flat when not in use? Think I've seen it on some speakers and such. From Bang&Olufssen or something?

YoRHa Edo

Efficiency Noob
New User
Sep 9, 2019
I'd assume this case isn't made by Sliger. The handle looks very similar to a Lian Li one. The handle on the Chimera X looks way more functional and has a fan mount which is obviously a plus

Reactions: fabio

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I just watched OT's video. I love that the top is not vented, I've been looking for a case with truly streamlined front to back airflow where I don't have to worry about dust settling in through the top.

But speaking of streamlined airflow, why is the bottom vented? Those bottom vents are massive, seems like they could be easily bent or compromise structural rigidity. You have a 280mm rad/intake at the front + room for a massive air cooler, that's more than enough. A bottom rad won't have much clearance for airflow anyway, and if you get rid of the bottom vents you can make the case slightly shorter by just having rubber pads, and people won't have to worry about dust coming in from the bottom. It's so hard to find a windtunnel SFF case, I was excited until I saw those bottom vents.

The handle appears to interfere too much with stuff, maybe have a non-collapsible handle option similar to Cerberus', but not if it comes at the expense of adding vents at the top.

Also, will there be front dust filters?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kooki

sfxcaser

What's an ITX?
Jan 18, 2020
This case might be exactly what I have been waiting for, for many years. Lian Li quality, and design, compact, and with sensible PSU mounting option (SFX at bottom, not in front of CPU).

I totally agree with Optimum Tech however that the handle should be removed, it's in the way, and for us that are not travelling with the computer it will just sit there and collect dust. Speaking of dust, PLEASE include dust filters that are easy to remove and clean (Look at Fractal Design that have excellent filters for both front and bottom (PSU) intakes). Too many case manufacturers release cases that comes with zero dust filters, which is simply ridiculous.

Reactions: plyr0ne

Ogra

What's an ITX?
Jan 18, 2020
As others have said, the handle has got to go. I feel like a case this size (even tho it is small for its features) shouldn’t have a handle. Dust filters are a must. I don’t really like the front design. I feel like the line going through makes it look odd and the IO piece should extend to the edges or have some sort of angles similar to the design of the SM550’s corners. I’d love if there would be an option for an atx psu at the bottom but I guess that would interfere with the motherboard. Top ventilation would be lovely. This case has huge potential.

generalguy

Efficiency Noob
Nov 20, 2018
Handle is pointless. Some thermal/airflow simulation would be good. No point in slapping a big cooler and having it choked.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I've changed my mind, I'm gonna follow the standard for once. I realised I don't have the time to do the buildup to working for the mods.

i've got ideas for when I need the second x16 slot, but that's for a far future down the road ,_,

Wait, are you helping develop this case?

ZivZulander

Trash Compacter
Jan 12, 2020
I actually don't think the handle needs to go, however I do think if it could be made an optional, easily removable component (along the lines of Sliger's implementation on SM series - obviously, don't copy them, but I do think the "door handle" approach works :p); or if there were dual handles, possibly integrated into the panel (e.g. how Bitfenix did with their Prodigy cases, although they used flexible plastic) itself to save on internal space; or "pool railing" (what I like to call it) style handles (a la the Mac Pro, though I'd like anodized or other matte black finish with textured rubber/silicone grip).

Personally, I think dual handles would work best given this case is straddling the area between strict SFF and traditional micro-ATX sizing - single handle is a bit awkward for larger cases - and dual-handles allows for more secure grip and evenly distributed weighting, which helps with something that can be potentially very dense/heavy for the size fully-built. I'm assuming the current handle was an off-the-shelf/bin part from Lian Li, so it's understandable if it's easier and cheaper to use, but it does seem to cause a bit of clearance issues with the incursion into the top mobo space. ? The folding action of the handle is nifty, but for this type of case I don't think it needs to be.

I do like the mesh front a lot, the potential CPU cooler clearance, and the fan/radiator support. Additional ventilation would be ideal. If you add filters, please make them magnetic. I'm hoping the windowed panel is tempered glass, but if it needs to be plastic please make it polycarbonate or any other material that is scratch resistant (acrylic is just terrible in this regard, especially for any case that is designed with portability in mind, even if it's just to move the case across the room).

I really like this case overall otherwise and the niche it fills in terms of mobo compatibility and volume, and some limitations are to be expected. ? Compact home Threadripper server/workstation. ?

Last edited:

ZivZulander

Trash Compacter
Jan 12, 2020
I’m definitely buying this, threadripper cooled by that ice giant monstrosity is my goal build

Watching for that as well, but haven't preordered (yet). Based on the PC World interview with the/an engineer from the company, it looks like they did indeed shrink it down, hopefully keeping performance for actual version. Not sure if any of the variants are fully compatible with this case, though, it's still early for both.

Last edited: